Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I’ve heard stories of ranchers “allegedly” shooting a wolf that was adorned with a federal gps necklace. Trouble followed as F&G came to investigate why the woofer stopped plodding along, only to find a recent hole dug on the ranchers land.

Any ideas or suggestions if someone was to “allegedly” shoot a collared wolf....I mean a collared German Shepherd. Wink! 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I would think any freight train in a storm would work.......

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cut the head off to remove the collar, tie it to a bundle of sticks, and toss it in the nearest large stream.

Idaho's wolf season is very generous, varying from 6 months to year round in the northern units. We can buy 5 tags although there are some restrictions on how many we use in any one area. During the season, it's legal to shoot collared wolves as long as you return the collar to the IDFG. It's not wise to return the collar from an off-season wolf.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Throw it in the river

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Go down to the tavern and put it in someone's pickup box.

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Beaver10
I’ve heard stories of ranchers “allegedly” shooting a wolf that was adorned with a federal gps necklace. Trouble followed as F&G came to investigate why the woofer stopped plodding along, only to find a recent hole dug on the ranchers land.

Any ideas or suggestions if someone was to “allegedly” shoot a collared wolf....I mean a collared German Shepherd. Wink! 😎

Why would someone burry a wolf with the gps collar still on it? If they are that stupid they deserve to get caught.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
+1

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Just turn it in. Wolves can legally be shot in the right places. If they are a problem then they should be documented so that the entire pack can be dealt with. Our game managers at the state level are very willing to work with landowners over wolf problems, the feds maybe not so much, in Wyoming that is.
It's not illegal to shoot a collared animal, in fact many times G&F hope a collared animal is harvested so that they can get data .
I know how to turn off those collars, it's not rocket science.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
No idea...Wasn’t my story. I just heard this story before a few times. 😎

Wait...Wasn’t it illegal everywhere to shoot a wolf in the lower 48 when they were reintroduced initially? Likely why the gps in a deep hole originated from.

“Molon Labe”
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
If you're asking a serious question ... if it's on your property, you're screwed. The GPS trace will show the wolf going along doing normal wolf-type things, then after it's shot and you are trying to dispose of the collar, doing very non-wolf things. They'll trace back to where those converge and if it's on your property, you're [bleep]. The feds are pretty damned good at forensic investigations. They'll find blood, hair, bone bits using tools like UV lights you and I don't have ready access to.

If a wolf was shot on my property I'd want a really good alibi for being somewhere else when it happened ... like in court, or getting a speeding ticket 300 miles away, some situation where law enforcement is providing the documentation of my alibi, not just a regular person and not just my own word on the matter.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_O_M
If you're asking a serious question ... if it's on your property, you're screwed. The GPS trace will show the wolf going along doing normal wolf-type things, then after it's shot and you are trying to dispose of the collar, doing very non-wolf things. They'll trace back to where those converge and if it's on your property, you're [bleep]. The feds are pretty damned good at forensic investigations. They'll find blood, hair, bone bits using tools like UV lights you and I don't have ready access to.

If a wolf was shot on my property I'd want a really good alibi for being somewhere else when it happened ... like in court, or getting a speeding ticket 300 miles away, some situation where law enforcement is providing the documentation of my alibi, not just a regular person and not just my own word on the matter.

Tom

This ^^^^^ Thank you TOM. 😎

“Molon Labe”
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
collared wolves can be shot legally out west in some western states during the state`s wolf hunting season.i buy a wolf license every year in Montana just in case I see a wolf during the season.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Pretty hard to prove if they can't find the wolf carcass or the collar. [bleep] happens.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Do those trackers have clocks? If so, you don't want to shoot an illegal one and move it with your truck or ATV any faster than a wolf will normally move. A wolf running 8 miles at 50 MPH would be a dead giveaway.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
These stories came from my wife’s uncle who is a long retired F&G employee. He’d retired years before the wolf releases happened but has friends at F&G he stayed in contact with who would tell him what was going on at work....A fisherman poached an over sized sturgeon in the 75-80 year old fish range. Fish had a gps implant. State Police followed the fish from Bonneville Dam where it was poached via the gps and pulled the dude over on I-5 interstate...The Trooper asked if he had a fish in his truck..Guy said, Nope. And the search began until fish was recovered and he got fined back into the Stone Age by a judge for killer a huge protected sturgeon.
😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A fish trotting down I-84 would be a bit more suspicious than a wolf following a river bank.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It depends on the collar. Some GPS collars will track movements, but the information can only be downloaded once the collar has been retrieved. Others transmit locality data periodically to a satellite from which the information can be downloaded to a computer. Still other collars simply transmit a radio signal that allows biologists using a receiver and portable antenna to locate the animal at regular intervals or when they just want to know where it is. Most collars these days do transmit a mortality signal to alert trackers when the animal has died.

Illegally shooting a collared animal that is protected during a closed season, or an animal for which there is no open season, is likely to net you some hefty fines and the loss of your hunting privileges, especially if it is a federally listed species. Kind of pricey way to gain notoriety at the local tavern.

Last edited by mudhen; 03/23/18.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
If you shoot a wolf in AZ they will rain hell on you worse than any child molester is treated- unfortunate but true. Best thing is the get the collar away from the wolf and get the wolf away from the spot where it was killed. Best thing is to throw it in a river.

One of the Arizona collars ended up in Iowa- courtesy of a tractor -trailer headed that way!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If AZ wants to keep those collars, we'll gladly send you a bunch from ID, wolves included.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Guys, that’s what I was figuring I’d eventually hear...I would be very tempted to bust a wolf if I saw one. Downside, if it turned into a dead wolf with a necklace...All kinds of bad things could happen to a fella. That would not be worth it to me. Sadly, Mr. Wolf would get a pass from me.

Mudhen ,Tom. You see the potential for problems. RockChuck, you see it too. I feel for you RC being where these killers are more abundant...Oregon has them. It’s only time before they get to where I hunt. 😎

“Molon Labe”
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (14idaho, 907brass, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 11 invisible), 1,477 guests, and 825 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.