Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LeroyBeans
When traveling anywhere, ammo ALWAYS goes with the gun. Who would be stupid enough to split them up and double the odds of losing something important.

Rifle cases and fish totes/coolers tend to get priority over regular luggage, so the ammo is safer traveling with the rifle. The downside is those rogue agents who will separate/confiscate ammo when packed with the rifle. And then there are the regs imposed by individual airlines sometimes. (Print out and carry hard-copy black and whites of the regulations.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I appreciate the comments and opinions from those who are there, been there and who know.

I've read that native people kill the polar bear with .222's, etc.

If I'm gonna pay big bucks to go after BG in AK, I'll take the .375 H&H posted earlier. It's powerful enough for anything up there, I can shoot it well and it packs well. Having enough gun is just one variable I won't be bothered with, plenty of other stuff to be thinking about. I'd probably be using 250 TTSX's with RL-15. That load performs. The right bullets in my '06, 7RM or .300 WM would no doubt do the job. I just choose to use the .375...

DF

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
When traveling anywhere, ammo ALWAYS goes with the gun. Who would be stupid enough to split them up and double the odds of losing something important.

Rifle cases and fish totes/coolers tend to get priority over regular luggage, so the ammo is safer traveling with the rifle. The downside is those rogue agents who will separate/confiscate ammo when packed with the rifle. And then there are the regs imposed by individual airlines sometimes. (Print out and carry hard-copy black and whites of the regulations.)

I have had hunters arrive missing one bag... rifle case made it, but bolts were in the missing bag. "Logic" being no one would steal a rifle with a missing bolt...

Ammo goes with the guns... always...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I appreciate the comments and opinions from those who are there, been there and who know.

I've read that native people kill the polar bear with .222's, etc.

If I'm gonna pay big bucks to go after BG in AK, I'll take the .375 H&H posted earlier. It's powerful enough for anything up there, I can shoot it well and it packs well. Having enough gun is just one variable I won't be bothered with, plenty of other stuff to be thinking about. I'd probably be using 250 TTSX's with RL-15. That load performs. The right bullets in my '06, 7RM or .300 WM would no doubt do the job. I just choose to use the .375...

DF

This stories are somewhat iffy. All depends on where the bear was hit. I have heard that a shot through the temple or close to the front of the ear will put any bear down, but I have no idea if it's true.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Klikitarik

I have had hunters arrive missing one bag... rifle case made it, but bolts were in the missing bag. "Logic" being no one would steal a rifle with a missing bolt...

Ammo goes with the guns... always...

Sucks to arrive with guns and no f’n hip boots when you’re hunting where you expect to wear them daily...

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BCHunter666
I have been invited to Fairbanks area a year from September for moose. I have never been up there, so looking for the perfect rifle to take, which I have quite a few. please give me recommendation's both for moose and for any other critters that might lurk and want to eat me for lunch or something. Try to keep the entire package at $1500 or less if you can. I will load my own, am thinking of a 338-06, but don't want to be stymied in stores if for some reason my ammo does not show up. looking for help !

thanks

At least a month before you go, ship a box of fifly to your contact in Alaska....make sure they have received them before you go....take that .338-06 and have a ball. Yes, it'll cost a bit to send them UPS but that way you know they got there.

Find a used M-70 on gunbroker for under $500 and add a barrel for under another $500.....you're well within your budget.

Last edited by vapodog; 03/20/18.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by vapodog
I have been invited to Fairbanks area a year from September for moose. I have never been up there, so looking for the perfect rifle to take, which I have quite a few. please give me recommendation's both for moose and for any other critters that might lurk and want to eat me for lunch or something. Try to keep the entire package at $1500 or less if you can. I will load my own, am thinking of a 338-06, but don't want to be stymied in stores if for some reason my ammo does not show up. looking for help !

thanks

At least a month before you go, ship a box of fifly to your contact in Alaska....make sure they have received them before you go....take that .338-06 and have a ball. Yes, it'll cost a bit to send them UPS but that way you know they got there.

Find a used M-70 on gunbroker for under $500 and add a barrel for under another $500.....you're well within your budget.

Apparently you've never shipped ammo to Alaska before.

UPS will only ship ammo UPS ground. That means lower 48, and within the states of AK and HI, not between the two. The only reasonable way to ship ammo to AK is to have it barged up via ocean.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by LoadClear

thanks

Apparently you've never shipped ammo to Alaska before.

UPS will only ship ammo UPS ground. That means lower 48, and within the states of AK and HI, not between the two. The only reasonable way to ship ammo to AK is to have it barged up via ocean.

Exactly...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

thanks

... and you need a new barrel because you need that kind of accuracy for moose...

NOT!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
[
... and you need a new barrel because you need that kind of accuracy for moose...

NOT!

you need a new barrel because the gun you bought does not have a .338-06 barrel

You ship the ammo a month in advance because it takes a long time to get it there.

Last edited by vapodog; 03/21/18.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You ship the ammo a month in advance because it takes a long time to get it there.

The last time I shipped ammo kind of stuff by barge, I received.......after waiting 4-5 months, an empty cardboard shell of a box with a few lead BBs still rattling around inside. Made me happy that I only had to wait another year to have another barge order shipped. wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can get ammo shipped as fast as you need it, you just need to be willing to think outside the box. wink

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
You can get ammo shipped as fast as you need it, you just need to be willing to think outside the box. wink

Tis true. Legal, fast ways are somewhat expensive however. wink Felony shipping troubles are a rather high price to contemplate....and that's not improving by the day.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
well I guess the fall of 2019 I will be headed to Alaska for month about ,my friend`s relatives that are full time Alaskan resident and kill plenty moose,bear ,caribou,wolves and some sheep prefer to use a 7 mm remington mag with160 grain partitions mostly,they want me to carry the same cartridge which I agreed too and purchased a Sako finnbear 7 mm rem. mag. the gun is like new and about 50 years old,which I am very happy with ,these older Sako`s are some of the finest bolt actions made like the pre -64 Winchester model 70`s were. I still prefer the 338 win.mag but will do as they have lightly asked me to do,use a 7 mag.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Just curious, what was their reason? So you carry the exact same as they do?

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pete53
well I guess the fall of 2019 I will be headed to Alaska for month about ,my friend`s relatives that are full time Alaskan resident and kill plenty moose,bear ,caribou,wolves and some sheep prefer to use a 7 mm remington mag with160 grain partitions mostly,they want me to carry the same cartridge which I agreed too and purchased a Sako finnbear 7 mm rem. mag. the gun is like new and about 50 years old,which I am very happy with ,these older Sako`s are some of the finest bolt actions made like the pre -64 Winchester model 70`s were. I still prefer the 338 win.mag but will do as they have lightly asked me to do,use a 7 mag.

You won't go wrong with a 7mm Magnum. Lots of hunters use that caliber in Alaska.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by CarolinaHunter
Just curious, what was their reason? So you carry the exact same as they do?

reason we are a long ways out and if someone in our party needs ammo ,its sure easier to all have the same ammo at camp,there will be no Walmart out on the tundra.

Ray ,these moose hunters say the 7 mag. works super on moose and I like all calibers anyway.thanks,Pete53

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Good lord someone is a bit on the anal side RE the same ammo. I have never been in a camp where we've all had the same. Actaully come to think of it have not been in a camp that there were TWO of the same calibers, save maybe pistol ammo or 22 or shotgun.

I've yet to have a shortage of ammo.

Nothing wrong with the 7 mag though and nice to do what they ask.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by rost495
Good lord someone is a bit on the anal side RE the same ammo. I have never been in a camp where we've all had the same. Actaully come to think of it have not been in a camp that there were TWO of the same calibers, save maybe pistol ammo or 22 or shotgun.

Jeff

no reason for me to argue with the free guide service in their camp in Alaska using their plane and boat, hell I will leave my ammo with them anyway,and bring them each a knife too. when I have a hunting partner or my son with we always try to use the same ammo, my father taught me that too ,including arrows on our elk hunts in the mountains,i have plenty rifles and if not I can just buy more,as I did for this future trip ,its just fun buying more nice rifles. and to top it off an old friend sold me that sweet old Sako finnbear that`s 50 years old ,when some of the finest Sako rifles were made.

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rost495

Jeff

Keep in mind that both the OP of this thread as well as Pete53 are coming to Alaska to hunt moose, and most of the responses have been from people who live and hunt in Alaska. Unlike Texas, a lot of Alaska hunters, including guided ones, hunt in very remote areas with no road access. In some isolated place it is always an advantage to have other hunters at the campsite (or campsites nearby), using the same ammo you use. That said, that does not necessarily apply to Alaska hunters, just to visiting hunters.

And I don't disagree with you when saying that not everyone at the campsite uses the same ammo, but in the areas I hunt near Fairbanks, should I have some troubles with my ammo, I would not have to travel home to buy some.

Last edited by Ray; 03/23/18.
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,392 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,380
Posts18,488,556
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.