Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
How many of you remember Polio? I saw a guy I went to high school with in church today. I haven’t seen him in 47 years. He had Polio when he was young. I remember a half a dozen kids that wore braces on their legs from contracting it. I remember my mother keeping us inside all summer after a kid in the neighborhood came down with it. I remember we took the vaccine on a sugar cube, I was 9 or 10.

Does anyone else remember being afraid you were going to be crippled from it?

GB4

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Everyone used to be afraid their kids would get it.

Often those kids that were sheltered the most were the ones that got it.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
remember the same from the late 60s and the sugar cube, knew two kids who had the braces,

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I guess that I was too busy to be afraid. At the elementary school I attended there were two classrooms where the "crippled kids" were taught. We were kept separate from them except for one 15-minute period in the afternoon when we could go in and visit them. There were kids with braces, crutches and those that were confined to wheel chairs. The worse afflicted could not speak or often even hold their heads up. I always felt sorry for them, but since there was no one in my family or among the friends that I knew that was afflicted, I never felt threatened or vulnerable. I finally did get vaccinated when I was in the 6th grade, as I recall, but it was an injection, not the sugar cube.

Last edited by mudhen; 03/25/18.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
It was a different world. I clearly remember the teacher walking the entire class to the hospital to get the sugar cubes in 1963 as 8th graders. It was about a mile each way. My generation is the first to live without the fear of polio.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Mine was in the shot form as the oral polio vaccine hadn't been either discovered yet or if so approved for release. Seems like later on though I did get a booster with the oral vaccine. Even more scary than the threat of having to wear leg braces was the threat of winding up laying inside a "iron lung" machine for no telling how long.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Dad had it, and beat it.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i know a guy who was crippled with it. he had a hard time walking and his speech was affected. but he was tough to play basketball with. he had some moves and could drive the ball. i still see him once in a while and he doesn't look like he's aged in 40 years.

My diploma is a DD214
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I well remember polio, back in the late 50's and early 60's they didn't know how it was spread. My Dad was especially protective of my sister and I as kids, on the hottest summer day he wouldn't let us drink water from a public water fountain for fear of contracting polio. The first vaccine I got for polio was shot, I remember my Mother taking me to the City Board of Health for the shots and when the oral vaccine came along it was given in the public schools on Sunday. The program was called SOS shich stood for Sabin Oral Sunday for the doctor who created the vaccine.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My mom's best friend from church had it and it took her life at an early age. I remember the vaccine.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My wife and I both had it in the early 50s. One leg is a little shorter than the other but I was fortunate to still be able to earn a college football scholarship.

Texas bred and born
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I remember the sugar cube. I think I recall dad telling me that the parents hated the spring coming on, as that's when Polio would hit.

My half-brother had it, a teacher in elementary school and one kid I knew of in the late 60's

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
RLA Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I remember when i was a kid, we would go to the old high school building. people would be lined up around the school to get the sugar cube. we did have several kids that had it.
makes me wonder what happened to them.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
A sister and a brother had it. I knew a more than a few other kids as I got older who had it and had arms/legs that didn't work right anymore.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When I was 4, in the early 50's, my dad had it. He spent 4 months in the hospital and rehab. He was one of the lucky ones who walked out healed. When they came out with the Salk vaccine, we were near the front of the line to get it. Later, when the came out with the Sabine version, we got that one, too.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When I was 4, in the early 50's, my dad had it. He spent 4 months in the hospital and rehab. He was one of the lucky ones who walked out healed. When they came out with the Salk vaccine, we were near the front of the line to get it. Later, when the came out with the Sabine version, we got that one, too.

Just the thought of having to live in one of those huge iron lungs was scary.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Had the shot and the sugar cube. One of the girls in my class and one of the teachers had polio.
When they sent the kids home with those cards with slots to put dimes in, my Dad filled them and told me to bring more.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Got the sugar cube at school must have been late 50s.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by websterparish47
Had the shot and the sugar cube. One of the girls in my class and one of the teachers had polio.
When they sent the kids home with those cards with slots to put dimes in, my Dad filled them and told me to bring more.

Funny, because of my brother's bout with polio, and my father trying to get any help from the March of Dimes, my father swore off the March of Dimes for the rest of his life. He hated those SOB's.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I rember the Sugar Cube, my Uncle had it as a Kid, and walked with a bad limp!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 66 invisible), 2,652 guests, and 1,344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,948
Posts18,480,334
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.