Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
any of you Alaskan`s ever use a Browning BLR levers up there in Alaska ? I purchased a couple of BLR s.s. levers last year, 308 win that shoots excellent under a 1/2inch off bench with my handloads and a 300 win.mag which also shoots great 5/8 inch groups off bench both at 100 yards ? I kinda want to purchase a BLR s.s.7mm rem. mag also ?Any thoughts from you Alaskan hunters ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
There is nothing mystical about firearms in Alaska. Ironically people here seem less concerned about these things than those in the CONUS. or COMUS as so many on here refer to it. Just bring what you've got 30-06 and up. You don't have to buy a new rifle to come hunting in AK.

P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
oh but its fun to buy new rifles or nice old rifles and see well they perform, as a gun dealer I do have a small advantage I buy and sell . plus I enjoy reloading ammo and trying new bullets ,powder etc. I am kinda a gun nut I even have my own rifle range , heated shooting house ,cement benches,plus my 100 yard rifle range has lights so I do have the ability to shoot anytime, any weather condition too. lately these Browning BLR rifles have really preformed well at my range and son shot a couple of real nice bucks big 8pt. here in Minnesota 5x5 out west both over 200 yards.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got one lever gun, a Marlin 1895 XLR in 45-70 and is the last lever gun I will ever need.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
i own a couple of lever 45-70 `s , I just prefer I rifle with much more range and these magnum BLR`S shoot real good,plus I like the clip magazine also,over the years I have over looked how nice these BLR Brownings are and how accurate a BLR shoots at 400 and 500 yards and still have plenty power too.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I shoot one a TD SS BLR in 06' works fine ...no complaints from the moose or boo...my frezzers full.. Use a 1885hw .in 45/70 to ...both lever guns grin

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Clip magazine. thats a new one. Good one too.

Like others said, its not science, if it floats your boat then use it, buy it, whatever really.

As to looks, I bought one gun for looks, its still in the safe unfired. That was probably the mid 70s. Dad actually bought the gun as I was to young.

I buy for how they shoot/caliber, how it works etc...

Make sure the BLR shoots the exact same load you have to carry for all your friends guns. LOL

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
They look like good rifles and I her they shoot good. They made a take down model I liked. If a guy runs the gun dry, how fast can he get one back in the chamber? Do the magazines lock in tight where they won't come out when one is going up hill in the alder patch from hell or busting through the Alaskan pucker brush?

On more then one occasion I have pushed through brush that was so bad and wore me out so much that I was concerned about the bolt on my Mod. 70. So I closed the bolt on an empty chamber and put the safety on, which locked the bolt down. My son in law lost a detachable magazine on and old Savage 30-06, never has found it. Military rifles seem to have a more secure detachable magazine system then sporting rifles do.

My 2 cents.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Your going to need a mcmillan stocked CRF 340 weatherby stainless, fluted bolt, a scope with at least 3 knobs, a tube of turtle wax and a roll of pink electrical tape. And a 500 S&W in a chest rig...

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My only reservation about a BLR for Alaska is the complexity of bolt removal should you need to do a complete field stripping, Rack and pinion timing is tricky. Lots of moisture in Alaska and travel by small boat is not unheard of.

Last edited by bobmn; 03/28/18.
IC B3

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
As to your question, I have, and use -[Two-2]- Lever Action's here in Alaska, a BLR in 30-06, and a Marlin .375 Win., and the 30-06 with Remingtons 220gr. Core-Loc's are the only Load you need for Moose,,,, and its "Plenty" of Gun if Mr. Griz, or a Browney show-up, and oh-yea,,,, both of those Lever-Actions are Mag-na- Ported.
Lj grin

Attached Images
LJ's Alaska_Hunting_Rifles 004.jpg (56.39 KB, 116 downloads)
LJ's Browing_BLR_30-06.jpg (61.69 KB, 111 downloads)

-[USMC 1st Mar/Div 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi]-
P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
AK, thanks for the pictures and info , I really wished Browning made a 338 win. mag. ,I have a 300 win.mag and its got plenty recoil I do plan on buying a 7 mm. rem mag. BLR too, so we all have same cartridge used , just for a small safety concern.they are all ex-military except myself 2 live in Alaska,my friend goes up to Alaska to visit every other year.

Last edited by pete53; 03/29/18.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by pete53
AK, thanks for the pictures and info , I really wished Browning made a 338 win. mag. ,I have a 300 win.mag and its got plenty recoil I do plan on buying a 7 mm. rem mag. BLR too, so we all have same cartridge used , just for a small safety concern.they are all ex-military except myself 2 live in Alaska,my friend goes up to Alaska to visit every other year.

Ok then,,,, you know it's not that hard to have that "Wish" come True,,,, I did it in the early 90's, sent my .300 Win. Mag BLR to a Gunsmith in Eugene, Oregon, Robert (Bob) West,-[now deceased]- he was an old partner in Crime with P.O. Ackley in Colorado, at Trinidad School of Guns, back-in the Day.
Anyway, he Bored that Barrel Out, and Cut a New .33 Cal. Barrel in,,,,, Same Barrel, No Swap-out, just to be clear.
There's a guy in Cottage Grove, Oregon, doing the same thing now, his Name is "Jess", @ .35caliber.com or Phone# 541-942-1342
Ok,,,, there you go, a Couple Hundred Dollars is what it cost me, I'm thing it's still about the same, >?
Lj grin[i][/i][b][/b]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
what ya gonna do with a 338 win mag? Everyone up there changing calibers all of a sudden?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AK375DGR

Ok then,,,, you know it's not that hard to have that "Wish" come True,,,, I did it in the early 90's, sent my .300 Win. Mag BLR to a Gunsmith in Eugene, Oregon, Robert (Bob) West,-[now deceased]- he was an old partner in Crime with P.O. Ackley in Colorado, at Trinidad School of Guns, back-in the Day.
Anyway, he Bored that Barrel Out, and Cut a New .33 Cal. Barrel in,,,,, Same Barrel, No Swap-out, just to be clear.
There's a guy in Cottage Grove, Oregon, doing the same thing now, his Name is "Jess", @ .35caliber.com or Phone# 541-942-1342
Ok,,,, there you go, a Couple Hundred Dollars is what it cost me, I'm thing it's still about the same, >?
Lj grin[i][/i][b][/b]

I have a 7600 West rebored to 35WAI over 40 years ago. He has been gone a long time.

Last edited by Sitka deer; 03/30/18. Reason: Frigging autocorrect!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by AK375DGR

Lj grin[i][/i][b][/b]

I have a 7600 West rebored to 35WAI over 40 years ago. He has been gone a long time.

Hey there Sitka,,,,,, yea Bob was quite the character, I made the mistake of calling him a "Gunsmith" once,,,, well he quickly corrected me, and informed me that he was a "Gun-Maker", and as I learned later he was a Founding Member of "The American Gun Makers Guild", I met P.O. Ackley at Bob's shop about 1978-79 or thereabouts, that's when I found out Bobs Nick-Name used by P.O., he called him "RG", ie... Robert Gordon West, seems he did that to all the guys that worked with him, anyway that's what I was told.
Yea, Bob passed in 2001 I belive, or maybe 2002,,??? and I learned later on that P.O. was in Oregon visiting some old friends down in Roseburg, Or., kind of where he got his start, back in the Day, I also ran into and met the Old Man John Nosler at Bobs shop,,,, it was quite the gathering place at times, some good memories for sure.
Lj

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by BCJR
There is nothing mystical about firearms in Alaska. Ironically people here seem less concerned about these things than those in the CONUS. or COMUS as so many on here refer to it. Just bring what you've got 30-06 and up. You don't have to buy a new rifle to come hunting in AK.

True and great advice...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My cousin has a BLR in 7mm-08, and .300WSM. Both shoot well.

He's shot deer out to 400 with the WSM.

I suppose they'd work fine in Alaska, just like they work everywhere else. It's a little bit of a complex action though. There is something to be said for the simplicity of a bolt when it comes to keeping a rifle clean in the backcountry.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
for years I have used bolts and Ruger # 1`s and just over looked the Browning BLR but 2 years ago I started to load and shoot a couple of BLR`S I never realized how well these lever rifles shoot ,I thought BLR rifles would be like Winchester levers and Winchester levers do not impress me . these BLR`S shoot very accurate,can handle much more powerful cartridges,have longe range accurate ability too. I do have a BLR 7mm rem. mag on order now too to use in Alaska for moose ,caribou and wolves,because the guys I will be hunting with like the 7 rem. mag. cartridge in Alaska where they live. Pete53

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The BLR is a sort of a lever activated multiple lug bolt action and with the long shank barrel in the steel action they can be exceptionally accurate. I would first de-magnatize them for use in Alaska as those northern light displays are para magnetic and could completely throw off your accuracy.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (01Foreman400, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 54 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,463
Posts18,489,835
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.