Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jim52
Yes I agree about the value of " correctly restored " however the amount of high value Savages available is definitely relative to where you live in the world. In the Canadian prairies they are few and far between believe me. Not looking to start a p-----g match it just seems to me that sometimes Savage collectors need to "come down off of the cross, because someone else might need the wood"

Agree, definitely not looking to start anything. But there's plenty of restored guns out there to spend money on if you think they are worth the price. There's no cabal of Savage collectors setting prices, every sale is between seller and buyer. The way to drive up prices is to start paying higher prices.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Called the guy selling the buttplates. Forgot about paypal and gave him my credit card info over the phone. Nice guy. David

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Q
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Q
Not a Savage collector, but a long time amateur stock butcher. I've used a number of reproduction buttplates on various brands of guns. They have been all made of epoxy/urethane, as stated in the ebay description for the thick Savage plate. A previous post in this thread stated the originals were made of hard rubber (as many older plates were from most manufacturers). Hard rubber plates have a slightly grainier, matte looking texture than epoxy/urethane reproductions. This difference is particularly noticeable on the back side of the plates. Anyone looking for a serial number scratched on the back should be able to see this difference in texture. Also most hard rubber plates I have seen are not smooth on the back, they usually have a raised area around the screw holes and around the edges. Repros I have used were all flat on the back. A magnifying lens should work for identifying the difference in texture when you can't remove the plate at a show.
Posting front and back pictures of an original Savage plate and one of the repros could be educational and help differentiate between them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hope they used a material that has little to no shrinkage, I lent out a butt plate to make a copy and got one of the repro's back as part of the deal, it was noticeably under size, It was not this maker, but I do not think the plates will come out larger than the original, which would be good so the plate could be fit to the stock and not the other way around on a gun with nice original finish. I would be nice if they built up the edges of the plate slightly before making the mold.

I found the old pictures I took of the one I had copied, again, this was a few years ago and not the same people.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by GeneB; 03/27/18. Reason: added Pictures
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 21, 59 invisible), 2,476 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,454
Posts18,489,688
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.