Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 20 of 32 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 31 32
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Late to the party, anyone mention the .270 Ren, a .22 blown out to a .270.

bkraft

"Four things greater than all things are, Women and Horses and Power and War."
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
No, you're the very first, and our GRAND PRIZE WINNER!!!!!

gnoahhh, that will work but it needs a notary and must be recorded at the county seat there in Annappleolus.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
And I am close to a major feat with this project. All y'all keep your fingers crossed please.

Or maybe I'm just drunk.

DD

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I was always a fan of Little Feat music. Never heard of Major Feat. Fingers crossed (my Mom's are too- she thinks you're hot).

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
...Never heard of Major Feat...

His son is General Disaster. He also has a brother in the Air Force, Master Chief Phuque Up.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
OK, keep it up and I'll introduce you clowns to Corporal Punishment. laugh

I am..........disturbed.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Suitably chastened and sitting in the corner now. Sir.

grin

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Suitably chastened and sitting in the corner now. Sir.

grin

And...back to my coloring book now.

grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
OK, keep it up and I'll introduce you clowns to Corporal Punishment. laugh

Said Major Considerations to Private Reasons "rebels like you have no right to enlist or exist",
as Corporal Punishment leered approval and gave his fierce mustache a fiercer twist.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
There just may be a Colonel of truth in that.

We'll have to post a General Inquiry in hopes of Major Victory in the never ending struggle against a General Population fighting back against the threats of Corporal Punishment.

Ed

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Major Probing is coming to see you wankers.

I am..........disturbed.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
"Well, until Colonel Digital Blimp here finishes developing his amazing little bundook you're going to have to continue using your Lance, Corporal."

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
OHHH, could that be General Discord heading this way?

OK, False alarm, Looks more like Gunny Sack. He's coming back from calling General Quarters.

Think I'll go see what new colors are in my box of crayons now...

Ed

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Well, the saga continues with Round 4.

Short time back someone suggested a trial with Lil' Gun, and another said to try some Clays. I wandered down that path today with some curious results. Break down of the data follows:

Temp; mid 70's, wind light and variable. Double bag rest @ 20 yards

5 fouler rounds, Norma TAC: Avg 1057, Es 48, Sd 17; Group of .35"

All .22 GTC groups were 3 rounds:

Dupont Hi-Skor 800X .9 grains, WW SPP Avg 735, Es 26, Sd 14; Group of .33" Load density approximately 70%

WW540 .9 grains, WW SPP, Avg 682, Es 78, Sd 39; Group of .51" Load density approx. 50%

Blue Dot .9 grains, WW SPP, Avg 584, Es 30; Sd 16; Group of .42" Load density approx 70%

5 rounds of Norma TAC afterwards, Avg 1064, ES 37, Sd, 14; Group of .218"

[Linked Image]

No leading occurred. It was curious that with each group the velocity increased with each round for a given charge. With minor deviation, this occurred with the Norma TAC as well. With the .22 GTC the increase was generally about half of the extreme spread for each load.

While the average velocities for the three loads was low, the groups were reasonably consistent with previous trials and there is ample room for more powder. I will give the 800X and Blue Dot another spin, looking up to something in the 1 - 1.2 grain range if possible. Maybe even the 540 will benefit from a larger charge, but I won't hold my breath on that one.

With all that said, despite this adventure being detail oriented I am satisfied with progress to this point. Things to do? Crimping tool/die, maybe a slightly harder bullet alloy is in order. Stay tuned on all that.

Is it practical? Yes indeed. I suspect most of you would be pleasantly surprised at how easy the load process is, and though not yet finalized, the function is good, accuracy OK and bound to get better.

DD

I am..........disturbed.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Dan,
That is great!

I'm expecting at any time for someone to ask you to neck it down to .17 caliber... laugh

It won't be me, but you know how looneys are.

Ed

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Funny you mention that Ed, doing it with the .22 WMR or .17 HMR would be a fair bit less complicated on a dozen or so levels. Rim/case diameter is larger, bullets are not heeled....simple matter of making CF cases, modifying the bolt and a set of dies. Shazaam!

I am..........disturbed.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
And...you could load it down to .22lr levels for economy and for subsonic/suppressed needs.

I still want your .22lr version. grin

Ed

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Deeper I get into this the more potential I see, and yes, one could fiddle with the WMR/HMR path until Rome burned again.

For what it may be worth, I have a backyard range which is legal under the statutory requirements here in Floriduh and am nested in a residential neighborhood. Many of my neighbors shoot from time to time, some even to the point of being a bit obnoxious and perhaps somewhat hazardous as the very few I can examine do not have berms, backstops or much of anything else. Got one of them to "shut up" one day when he was being particularly bothersome with what I think was a .22 WMR....by shooting a hole in the dirt with a .30-30. Not to belabor any of that in great detail, I am not a bother to the neighborhood. I restrict my shooting to subsonic velocities and use either a suppressor or baffle box. They are clueless that I shoot as much as I do, or in some cases, at all.

The backstop......
[Linked Image]

The deflector, AR400 and sand in the backside...
[Linked Image]

The 50 yard line...
[Linked Image]

It works for .22's, .38 Spcl S&W, .44 Mag etc. Users get the impression that the noise is louder than it should be until I do the shooting and let them stand back 15-20'. It's quiet, does a bit of a "wonk" with the .44 but is otherwise neighborly. Any of you wankers needin' some firewood, get in touch.

This works too....
[Linked Image]

Last loads I shot, the loudest sound was the "clack" of the hammer and "tink" of the backstop. And my occasional "I'll be danged!"

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Lest it be overlooked, the 20 yard line..........

[Linked Image]

Stumps were recently replaced with concrete blocks and otherwise adjusted a bit. The bench has a third slab on the left as well.

I am..........disturbed.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
That's cool!

What are the dimensions on your baffle box? Is there any type of insulation inside the box?

I saw a pic of one long ago, I think it was Mike Venturino's, built from 55gal drums.

I like yours!

Ed

Page 20 of 32 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 31 32

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (35, beefan, 308ld, 808outdoors, 338reddog, 7 invisible), 913 guests, and 885 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,206
Posts18,524,263
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.