Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hey guys, I need a lot of help in deciding what I need for a good AR10 build. I damn near bought one that was already built, but let that one slip through my fingers. I hesitated because it had a short barrel. I'm wanting one with a medium weight 20" fluted barrel. I don't want the rifle to be god awful heavy. Probably keeping it under 9 pounds without scope. I also looked at a M&P 10 a few weeks ago. It was nice, and they were going to cut me a deal at $900.00. I also looked at another M&P 10 yesterday, but that shop wanted a grand for it. Let me know what you guys would use for your upper, lower, trigger and barrel and where the best deals are. Thanks for any help you can spare....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The best price seems to be from Palmetto State Armory. They sell complete lowers, uppers and rifles. They had some reported early teething problems but most reports nowadays seem to be pretty good to excellent. Windham makes nice rifles. There are many others. Just don't expect much interchangeability with parts, or uppers and lowers as there's no 'standard' to follow. There are Armalite and DPMS patterns but no standard.

Retired cat herder.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I bought my AR-10 complete (Windham Weaponry) and I'm now currently working on a 243 upper build for a second "plug and play". It's a 22" fluted stainless. Right now I'm having a hard time finding a 0.936" adj. gas block for it. Windham wasn't the cheapest I could find but I've liked it a lot so far. Zero problems to date

An armed member in a country is a citizen, an unarmed member is a subject.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Bsa...I started with an Aero upper/lower and a Black Hole barrel . Using a SA adjustable gas block I found I could tune things in nicely. I finished it off with an AP FF tube and barrel nut, SSA-E, and a PRS stock.

This one is a fast twist 243, but one could do a 308 in similar fashion

I am by no means an AR expert....but this build has performed pretty well so far

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by m1919
Bsa...I started with an Aero upper/lower and a Black Hole barrel . Using a SA adjustable gas block I found I could tune things in nicely. I finished it off with an AP FF tube and barrel nut, SSA-E, and a PRS stock.

This one is a fast twist 243, but one could do a 308 in similar fashion

I am by no means an AR expert....but this build has performed pretty well so far

Sounds like a nice rifle. Thanks for sharing.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks bsa....its one of my favorites and it is a shooter....learned a few things in the process.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hear good things about Aero. No personal experience though

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hey raybass ol buddy. Hope all is well.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Anyone here try the live wire 7075 t6 matched receivers. Im eyeballing a spikes tactial upper/lower for my build. Price seems high though...

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
the Aero stuff is real nice in my book , particularly the "enhanced" upper/handguard combo...it makes for a very rigid system

but I dont think you could call an Aero build "light"

IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I also looked at a M&P 10 a few weeks ago. It was nice, and they were going to cut me a deal at $900.00. I also looked at another M&P 10 yesterday, but that shop wanted a grand for it. Let me know what you guys would use for your upper, lower, trigger and barrel and where the best deals are. Thanks for any help you can spare....

The M&P is a good rifle, nice balance, decent weight to size ratio. That said, it's about a 2 MOA rifle out of the box.

If your MP-10 does better, that's good, but S&W does not consider anything at 2 inches a problem they need to take care of. Mine was about an inch, manybe a bit more at 100, and JimmyP's MP-10 was worse IIRC.

The MP-10 is a DPMS clone...almost, form my experiments, the pattern was close, but just enough off that you were buying S&W uppers, barrels and BCGs to stay safely within their design limits. This may have changed by now, I was dealing with them 2-3 years ago.

I prefer Aero, they have made good products in the -15 and the -10 line-up. Agree with the light comment, there are very few "light" AR-10s in the market, without serious installment in parts and specialized barrels.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hear good things about Aero. No personal experience though

I have several uppers and lowers. I have not been disappointed in any one of them.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks for the help guys.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anyone here try the live wire 7075 t6 matched receivers. Im eyeballing a spikes tactial upper/lower for my build. Price seems high though...

Take a look at the V-Seven set; not cheap but you get a really nice product, IMO, way nicer than Spikes.

I used one of their matched sets for the last AR-15 I did & I really, really like how it is done & the fit is perfect.

www.vsevenweaponsystems.com

MM

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
BSA,

Save yourself some headaches and get the Larue Ultimate Upper kit and lower. Nothing else on the market is in the same range.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
BSA,

Save yourself some headaches and get the Larue Ultimate Upper kit and lower. Nothing else on the market is in the same range.

Thanks buddy.. I know Larue makes some nice chit. I'll look into it... Any suggestions on a good barrel? Probably going to go with a 20"...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know Larue makes some nice chit. I'll look into it... Any suggestions on a good barrel? Probably going to go with a 20"...

If you go with the Larue kit that Formy suggests, you can just use their barrel (non-stainless) which is reported to be pretty good, & the price is right, but I don't have anything Larue.

If you want a different barrel, consider a SS Criterion barrel.

MM

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
MM, no one is suggesting Armalite. Why: weaknesses or flaws? Is it because you can't use P mags and the DPMS is more versatile? Just wondering... A guy has a real nice Armalite target model for sale, near me for a good price.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
MM, no one is suggesting Armalite. Why: weaknesses or flaws? Is it because you can't use P mags and the DPMS is more versatile? Just wondering... A guy has a real nice Armalite target model for sale, near me for a good price.
Because Armalite doesn't make kits.
Personally, I'd jump on an Armalite target model if it was priced right. Those Armalite stainless barrels shoot really well. Mine will do about 1/2" for 5.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Because Armalite doesn't make kits.
Personally, I'd jump on an Armalite target model if it was priced right. Those Armalite stainless barrels shoot really well. Mine will do about 1/2" for 5.

I heard that more than once about the Armalite; wouldn't hesitate at the right price, but don't have one.

MM

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

164 members (2ndwind, 300_savage, 30Gibbs, 264mag, 24 invisible), 1,721 guests, and 1,056 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,756
Posts18,476,368
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.