Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
A few years back on a sheep hunt in Alaska, our outfitter had us sign waivers stating that we were offered helmets for horseback riding but declined. My hunting partner made quite a few jokes about the current overuse of helmets in society and what sort of putz would be wearing a helmet hunting sheep. Fast forward five days, he's riding down the mountain after killing his sheep and the cinch strap on his saddle breaks. It gets tangled up in it's feet and the horse drags the whole mess (him included) down the side of the mountain. Luckily, the only thing that was broken was his rifle.

Two years later, we find ourselves in Kyrgyzstan, riding incredibly surefooted horses through all manner of rockslides, rock strewn rivers, down cliffs I wouldn't walk down, etc. When one of the guides grabbed my reins and drug my horse (with me on it) down a 100 foot slide, I was holding on to the horses head with my feet while my head bounced off his hind quarters and was able to look straight across the canyon. When we got to the bottom and I stopped screaming, I started to rethink the whole helmet thing. I've been tossed in the Bob Marshall, had my horse swarmed by yellow jackets in the Selway and had a few other close calls. I wear a helmet on a snowmobile and sometimes on my bike, why the hell wouldn't I wear one on a horse?

So with a trip to Azerbaijan coming up, I bought a mountain biking helmet today. I may look like a total putz, but I hopefully won't have my brains splattered on a rock in the Caucasus either.

Does anyone here wear a helmet while hunting off horseback?

GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
No but I take care of my tack and don't let anyone lead me anywhere.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Kaleb
No but I take care of my tack and don't let anyone lead me anywhere.

LOL!

I know a LOT of people that wear helmets when astride a nag. I don't but have thought a few time that perhaps I should. I just don't come off a horse unintentionally.

The bigger difference i see in this topic, is putting people on horses that at best are green as grass but are trying to learn, and at worst incompetent as a rider. I understand an outfitter/guide/equine renter requiring helmets or signing a lawyer-proof waiver.

We read it on the forum here from time to time of people that really have no business being on a horse , relating their problems with rented stock. They're not 4 wheelers.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I always have my helmet and crayons

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by tedthorn
I always have my helmet and crayons

Don't forget your bus pass.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
They slip an old tire around me and the back of the chair when I'm left alone plus my helmet. I like cheetos.

bkraft

"Four things greater than all things are, Women and Horses and Power and War."
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Damn, I thought this was about horses wearing helmets. Having been in a head butting contest or two with a horse, I was thinking that having the horse wear on of those foam helmets might be a good idea.

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bkraft
They slip an old tire around me and the back of the chair when I'm left alone plus my helmet. I like cheetos.

I wear a sumo wrestler suit and a helmet smile

Sorry folks, this is too funny to pass.

Last edited by Ray; 03/28/18.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wouldn't be caught dead wearing a helmet, it's just not the cowboy way.

Having said that, I got reckless once, tried to load my dog in the saddle with me. Got lawn-darted, was out for 3 minutes, so I'm told. Had a headache for the rest of the day, was good to go the next day. Two weeks later got a headache that lasted 2 weeks, throw in a snowboard trip, my balance was way off. Following my kids Marine advice "Let's do a jump so you get your confidence back!" Another lawn-dart, spent the night in the hospital after a CAT scan showed a hematoma the size of a chicken egg, the neuro guy drilled 2 holes & sucked it out, and I've never felt such relief.

The next year we took an older (70+) couple on a goat hunt, things went bad & the lady got dumped on her head. She came too soon but it was terrifying watching her convulse until she opened her eyes. We didn't know if she had spinal injuries so we kept her in the same spot for 11 hrs 7pm-6am, waiting for a helo, it rained all night no visibility til morning.

I still don't use one, but sure don't hold it against anyone that does.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have never met a horse I absolutely trust. I've met several, however, that figure out a way to dump one about every six months or so. Pillars of behavior and then something sets them off. If my business involved putting paying customers on steeds, they would helmet up or sign a waiver. Same in my rig/boat, seat belts/life jackets or waivers.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/28/18.

1Minute
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Wear one if you want to and ignore the scoffing. The older we get the less whack on the head we can stand. I had a close friend that was in her 70s that had a minor auto accident where she bumped her head on the passenger side dash. The EMS looked her over and she seemed fine. After being at her home for a couple hours she started getting dizzy and passed out. She was in the hospital for a week or two and had a rough time of it. Last year my own sister fell off of a Tennessee Walking Horse in her back yard and had a brain bleed that put her in the hospital for several days......she still has memory problems because if it, she wears a helmet now days though....Nobody, no matter how tough they think they are, can shake off a subdural hematoma. I'd rather be a healthy wuss than a paralyzed Cowboy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Best thing about a horse is you can eat the dumb sonofabitch.

smile

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My question is WHY?

[Linked Image]

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
[Linked Image]

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I always figured that if they wanted people to wear helmets, be it on horseback or bicycle, they would not make them look so goofy. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have owned at least one horse most of my life. I still do.

My step daughter and I often argue about wearing a helmet. I won't, she does.

Yes, I have been throw, ridden through yellow jacket nests, slid down mud and shale slopes, etc.

The good part is that I do remember those incidents and now the grandkids ride the horse more than I do and, yes, they do wear helmets.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by donsm70
I have owned at least one horse most of my life. I still do.

My step daughter and I often argue about wearing a helmet. I won't, she does.

Yes, I have been throw, ridden through yellow jacket nests, slid down mud and shale slopes, etc.

The good part is that I do remember those incidents and now the grandkids ride the horse more than I do and, yes, they do wear helmets.

donsm70

I once got a wasp under my motorcycle helmet. You DO NOT want to have your hat strapped down to your head when that happens.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Didn't for 20 plus years. If you ride horses your going to come off at some point. After many years with Suitor I could sit the saddle and he'd do the rest, But horses don't last forever. New horse and young, wife and I riding the trails loose reins and horse startles and spins. I bail to protect my shoulders and land on my feet only thing ground is very uneven, Tibial Plateau Fracture and 5 months off the leg. When riding with the wife I helmet up, better than the evil eye and silent treatment.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sidepass
I bail

Wrong answer. The safest place is on top.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

682 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 70 invisible), 3,302 guests, and 1,366 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,435
Posts18,528,611
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.