Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I might take you up on that. Hank's been whipped by a few DD in the field and near the food bowl wink so they should get along well enough. I realize it's not on your list, but I'll definitely be hunting IA for roosters a couple times this year. Other plans are too tentative at this time.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bane has never shown aggression in the field other than to small furry things. I'd kick his butt if he did around other dogs but so far so good and he has been around a lot of dogs on training days and outlet malls etc. Do think running alone is one way to not have any issues and one could rest up while one works. Iowa may be too far east but if your plans take you farther west let me know. Just don't make fun of my wingshooting ability.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Iowa has pheasants? I thought they went out with the rise in corn prices a few years back.

I hunted a fair bit in the northeast and north central parts of Iowa plus the southwest corner but lost a lot of ground to the plow. It isn't much different than MN now so isn't worth the extra cost of license and driving, especially to the south. That is a definite shame as the woods, windrows, and CRP of the properties we had in the SW held bobwhites as well as pheasants which made a nice addition to the bag.

pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My and my not so well trained dog found enough to make the 6hr drive worth it. We didn't see as many as I did in ND the year before, but we put up birds everyday and in most places we tried. All public accessible lands. Not saying it's "good" hunting there, but it sure beats the access to wild birds I have in IN. Plus it's close enough for a weekend trip; leave Friday after work and home by Sunday night. I've heard the quail are somewhat on the rebound in the southern part of the state, but we didn't venture down that way.

[Linked Image]DSCN2300 by Tyler Staggs, on Flickr

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks like a great day Pointer. Here is to good broods across the midwest this year.

IC B2

pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks. It was. I had a few more hours to hunt, but the last bird we put up and got was too perfect not to end on. He tracked it through the cover about 75yds before locking up on point. He held point for the time it took me to get over there, held while I walked past him to flush the bird, which I shot and he retrieved to hand. Everything exactly how it's supposed to be. The duck was a bonus. We were working along a steep banked ditch when Mrs. Mallard decided to leave. Took him a bit of coaxing to get back across the ditch once he found it, but he did it. Like I've said, most all of his shortcomings are my fault, but we have fun!

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I can understand the difference in bird numbers between Indiana and Iowa, it was pretty similar between MN and IA for many years. I hunted Iowa a lot back when they were the pheasant capital, not South Dakota. 2-3 of us would start at 8:00 AM in the first tier of counties across the MN border, generally bag a limit by noon, eat lunch in the car heading back to MN to hunt the afternoon. Two limits of pheasants and a couple of Huns each were typical for a long one day trip. Now it's hunt hard all day long in either state and if one does not miss any opportunity one might fill their bag. That is if you hunt alone as 3-4 good opportunities is a decent day with 2-3 more likely. I can expect that less than an hour from my door and I often have the opportunity to hunt grouse and woodcock in addition to pheasants.

Those were the days justifying the 3-4 hour drive to go hunting for just a day. High crop prices drove farmers to plow under CRP and the loss of habitat affected both private and public lands greatly. We would make the trip to the southwest but stopped that when the farms we had access to tore out and plowed under their windrows, CRP, and any other bit of cover around. The public lands then got hit continually by hunters of all types. The birds left just couldn't handle the pressure and in three years we went from full possession limits for 3 guys over 3 days to four birds total. And we missed only two roosters.

pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I can see how that happened. $8/bu corn was hard on a lot of critters... One of these times I hope to hit it right and have to tell the stories about what it was like "back in the day". laugh

If you getting the hankering, feel free to bring your fancy shotguns down to IA this fall and show me how to shoot!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
you guys are making me antsy,,,,I'm in the planning of a couple of "bird boondoggles" for this fall,,,my dog will be 18 months and we need to hit it hard,,,

Picture a combination right wing, libertarian, unabomber, nationalist who believes in reverent science and who, to his core, remembers the words he swore to defend the constitution from all enemies, foreign and domestic.....so help me God
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I don't have any "fancy" shotguns but I do have utilitarian ones.

What I described was the best hunting I experienced but I saw even better when I was a kid and too young to tote a shotgun. This was back before Earle Butz ended the Soil and Water Bank programs which were the blueprints for CRP. He also advocated for fence line to fence line plowing. Coupled with advances in herbicides and fertilizers, it was no longer necessary to leave some fields fallow and the fair number of weeds which grew among the corn disappeared. Corporate farming became the trend which removed even more cover which had previously delineated property boundaries.

In those days 20-30 hunters would drive a cornfield towarwds 6-10 other hunters blocking the end. The last 50 yards would see enough birds flushing it could be tough to shoot a rooster and not hit a hen. 2 bird limits for all were not uncommon and some would "double dip" and drop off their birds and go out again. That was illegal but not uncommon. Only once have I seen numbers reminding me of that and it was a isolated occasion. It would be terrible on the dogs but I wouldn't mind experiencing a drive like that involving family and friends again.

IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I understand. The few times I’d gone waterfowling before this past season, I enjoyed myself but didn’t care all that much, I was still focused on deer. This year having my own dog made all the difference, I wish I hadn’t waited till deer season ended to start hinting waterfowl. I believe deer hunting is still my favorite, but next season I won’t hesitate to take the dog and go hunt ducks during some of the earlier splits.

pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've only seen a couple of drives like that. Two buddies and I were hunting pheasants and prairie chickens in SD. Knocked on a door to ask about hunting a smallish, unpicked milo field. Permission granted. Turned the dogs loose and the birds started coming up like popcorn! Quickly gathered the two dogs and leashed them. Did a push to one corner and once we got with in 40yds of it the birds just kept coming out. I bet that final jump put 200 birds in the air in just a couple of minutes! Crazy good fun!

JJ- You seem to know where I'm coming from! I think this fall will see big game hunts, particularly deer, taking a backseat to taking the dog out for some type of birds, somewhere!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Idaho is THE quintessential upland bird state....though eastern Montana and Wyoming isn't bad. Parts of western Wyoming sucks ass except for a 12 or so day sage grouse season and forest grouse in the mountains. Chukar are becoming more established though, so that's a glimmer of light.

I myself am finding a desire for more and more upland bird hunting every year, though I take full advantage of what I have left of my lungs and legs for big game...that ratio does lean more towards upland birds a little bit more each year. If I absolutely had to choose one or the other right now, I'd say sayonara big game....it's been fun.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
T my thoughts exactly! In fact we are considering getting a 3rd golden.. But they are such kids! But it is more fun to shoot a grouse than a buck, I am not sure why I do it.. Elk, ugh!!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Elk are a lot of work, even with horses, no doubt. The exercise is one reason why I do still hunt them though (kind of like chukar in that regard). One day if I could get permission to whack elk down on a private ranch where we could get a loader right to him I sure wouldn't turn the opportunity down with my pinky sticking straight up in the air. For poor public land me though, pheasants and grouse are the shizzle, plus you don't have to stop shooting once one goes down.

The one exception to this deal is snowcock...the actual hunting aspect of them is much more like big game and the terrain is dangerous. I've took a couple shots at them but they were just too long...

pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Snowcocks are in some sporty country to say the least...

Now I'm thinking either SD or KS for birds in Oct/Nov...

That could change tomorrow...

Last edited by pointer; 04/09/18.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 2,274 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,392
Posts18,488,767
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.