Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've tried keeping up with the initial Barrett Fieldcraft threads, but have drifted away for awhile.

The Fieldcrafts barrels seem to have the proper twist, whereas some of the more popular rifles on the forum do not and with getting into reloading, I like the idea of a 3" magazine box. So......

Are they living up to their expectations? Any thing you don't like about the rifles? Have you had any issues where Barrett's customer service became involved and if so, how were you treated?

Any info, good or bad is appreciated.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

HR IC

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
If you ever get a chance to speak to Ronnie Barrett! You will see.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I used a 6.5 CM and a 30-06 Fieldcraft all but 2 days of last season (~ 4 months, hunting at least 2 days a week). Most of the time was with the 6.5. Great rifle. Very accurate with the first load I tried. Great blueprint and Barrett did everything right on the short actions from mag box, quality of parts, bedding, twist, etc.... I could prefer a "slightly" heavier barrel at 22" on the short action but can live with the 0 contour just fine (long action contour is nice). The long action would be perfection if they'd stretched Mr. Forbes action a little so that mag box length was ~that of a 700 long action to give a little more room to play with...but it would have cost a few oz's and it was already a proven action footprint.

The only problem I've had is a stripped sling swivel inlet on one of the hunts early in the season. Climbing up a steep ridge I slung the rifle so I could use my hands. About the time I got to the top the rifle went tumbling down the ridge behind me. I thought the swivel had unscrewed but the inlet was stripped. I emailed Barrett to see what they'd say and received no reply. To me it wasn't worth the effort to try to run them down, call, and if they wanted it back box it up and ship it. I just roughed up the inside of the sling swivel inlet and epoxied it. 5 minute fix but it was a problem and they never responded to the email...and I never called which would have been the better route if I really wanted something done about it.

Overall, I think the Fieldcraft is the best out of the box rifle made.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by fredIII
If you ever get a chance to speak to Ronnie Barrett! You will see.

I've been a fan of Mr. Barrett's since a Kalifonia law enforcement agency wanted to purchase his semi-auto or auto rifles (whatever the case may be) for their department and he told them to go pound sand, simply because if a law-abiding citizen was prohibited from owning them, he wouldn't sell them to LE either. I've admired him ever since.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I recently bought the 6CM and am waiting for mounts and warmer weather to wring it out,

The trigger is perfect for my tastes at a crisp 2#.

The barrel is not free floating. In fact, it's snugged down into the barrel channel with 80 inch/pounds of torque.

I hope to try it on a caribou in late August and predators shortly after.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by VernAK

The barrel is not free floating. In fact, it's snugged down into the barrel channel with 80 inch/pounds of torque.

Yes, they come full length bedded to the individual barreled action...not a slave action which is a plus in my book.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by VernAK

Yes, they come full length bedded to the individual barreled action...not a slave action which is a plus in my book.

I have to agree.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I just picked up my 7mm-08 and I really think they hit a homerun. Great weight, smooth action, great trigger, accurate. no problems to speak of, can’t address that.

Enough already, just shoot it!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Let us know how that 7-08 shoots.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I've had one since August in 6.5 CM, 21" barrel. Its shot 129, 140 147 Hornadys, and 140 Berger's all well below moa, and the last 3 bullets below moa out to 1k. It is Handy, light and is the best factory rifle I've owned. I paid $1560, which is a bargain IMHO.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have the 7-08 and couldnt be happier. Accuracy is excellent with most loads. Carried all last fall and it is a dream to carry. I am not fond of the two position safety. I did have that bolt come open a few times while sneaking through some tags. That is my only complaint

Mine was involved in the recall and I was more than satisfied they went above and beyond to make things right. This rifle is a winner.

Rob

Still trying to be the Man my dogs think I am
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by rylee1
I have the 7-08 and couldnt be happier. Accuracy is excellent with most loads. Carried all last fall and it is a dream to carry. I am not fond of the two position safety. I did have that bolt come open a few times while sneaking through some tags. That is my only complaint

Mine was involved in the recall and I was more than satisfied they went above and beyond to make things right. This rifle is a winner.

Rob

If the safety locked the bolt,I would already have bought one. I still might, but it is an issue for me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I prefer a safety that locks the bolt (and lifts the sear off the trigger), but my usual carry while still hunting is the Indian carry in the crook of my left arm with my thumb locked over the bolt knob. Problem eliminated.

If I really end up liking my 6CM as much as I suspect, my other rifles are going to be feeling kinda neglected.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rylee1

Rob

What did the recall address?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GregW
Let us know how that 7-08 shoots.

This.

A 7mm-08 is what I'm looking for.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
What's the inside length of the magazine box in the short actions?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I believe 3".

Yup, 3". Not shown in the description, but is in the FAQs.

Last edited by Pappy348; 03/30/18.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My 6.5 Fieldcraft is off getting a walnut stock. Look forward to shooting it this summer.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I believe 3".

Yup, 3". Not shown in the description, but is in the FAQs.

Thanks Pappy. I shouldn't be surprised that they got that right too, but so few do.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
call Keefer at europtics

u womt buy a better lw for the money

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1234, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 2,456 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,405
Posts18,488,944
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.