-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 127 of 785 1 2 125 126 127 128 129 784 785
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Midweek dinner nightout with some extended family. Mongolian Beef, General Tao and a few other delicacies from the local favorite Chinese place.

[Linked Image]

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
GB1

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Lookin' good there, FatCity.I'm a Chinese carryout junkie. Few make the cut.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OldJeepGuy
Lookin' good there, FatCity.I'm a Chinese carryout junkie. Few make the cut.

It helps living in a city where an original colony of Chinese Immigrants settled in the 1800’s looking to find fortune in the Gold Rush and building projects.

Third largest Chinatown in the US for a time in the 1900’s.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Nothing to it.

1 1/2 cups of warm water a little honey and a packet of yeast in a large bowl and let that proof, about 10 mins.

Mix 4 cups of unbleached AP flour and 2 tablespoons of Kosher salt.

Add the flour mix to the yeast (after is proofed), half at a time and mix to form your dough.

Remove and knead on a floured surface for 5-7 minutes.

Coat a bowl with olive oil, put the dough ball in that bowl, flip and get oil on both sides. Cover and let sit for 1 1/2-2 hours at room temp to rise.

Push it down a little, cut it in half and work each half into rectangle. Keep folding in half while lengthening. Keep fold on bottom.

Put on flat pan (I use a cookie sheet) that has been dusted with a little flour or corn meal and let the loaves rise for 30-45 minutes.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

Boil 2 cups of water on the stove top in an oven proof pan ( I use a small cast iron)

Transfer the water to the lower rack in the oven or on the oven floor if you can

After the loaves have risen the 1/2 hour or so, cut a few slits across the top, splash with a little water and put in the oven and cook for about 25-30 minutes.

All done.

The water helps give a little steam/humidity in the over to give the loaves a hard/crisp crust.

Thanks Scott !!

smile

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wife whipped out a small batch of small size flour tortillas this morning for breakfast so I made dinner with the extras.

Beer battered cod soft tacos with all the accoutrements. Cotija, Creme fresh, avocado and some Tapatio. Pic is before Tapatio.

And a cucumber/tomato side salad, little fresh lemon juice and tajin

[Linked Image]

"Maybe we're all happy."

IC B2

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
how do you get your plates to stick to the walls ? Velcro

Last edited by Owl; 03/31/18.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Ahem....Mr. FatCity......how does a person go about making a tortilla like that?

We make some yellow corn tortillas from scratch, but those look a lot different.

Anyway, we got our beef back from the butcher yesterday. Wife put about 3 months worth of store bought finishing pellets into him.

We like to use barley, but could not find any and we needed to change the flavor on this critter in a hurry. The butcher has a waiting list and you better be ready. Otherwise its usually several months out.

I pan fried a few of the rib steaks tonight. Very good flavor and nice and tender.

The steer was originally going to be a grass fat animal, but with the drought and nasty winter we decided to finish on grain.

[Linked Image]

I am MAGA.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
A bit of leftover matzo ball soup tonight.

It starts with the chicken, a bunch of chicken feet and some of the innards...

[Linked Image]

After a full day of simmering, the broth is ready (all solids are removed) and the matzo balls go in to boil

[Linked Image]

To finish it off, I ground up some horseradish to add to the soup. We like our horseradish really potent and while a gas mask ain't 100% necessary, it sure helps things.

[Linked Image]

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I saw some chicken feet at the store the other day......damned if I could figure out what anyone would do with em but now I know....thanks....I think.

The gas mask seems a little over the top but I've never ground my own horse radish so what do I know.

Jim.....that beef looks delicious.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My goodness your meat has me salivating😎

Water, lard, flour, salt and I think a little baking soda. Learnt it from My Paternal Grandmother. Honestly the poor thing could barely boil water when we started dating in college. It’s the darndest thing lots of rolling into little balls to rest. Then flip floping with the hands and plop on to a large round Lodge griddle, called a comal in Spanish. These tortillas are called gorditas or “little fattys” because they are the size of a corn tortilla, soft, fluffy.

She said lots of good recipes on the net but it’s the rolling, resting and hand manipulation you have to practice.

To be sure I never get these homemade but once in a blue moon now since all the kids are off to college and out on their own.

Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Ahem....Mr. FatCity......how does a person go about making a tortilla like that?

We make some yellow corn tortillas from scratch, but those look a lot different.

Anyway, we got our beef back from the butcher yesterday. Wife put about 3 months worth of store bought finishing pellets into him.

We like to use barley, but could not find any and we needed to change the flavor on this critter in a hurry. The butcher has a waiting list and you better be ready. Otherwise its usually several months out.

I pan fried a few of the rib steaks tonight. Very good flavor and nice and tender.

The steer was originally going to be a grass fat animal, but with the drought and nasty winter we decided to finish on grain.

[Linked Image]

"Maybe we're all happy."

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Haven’t had a good homemade matzo ball soup in since high school. Buddies Grandmother made it.

Chicken feet for stock. Old school.

"Maybe we're all happy."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wife’s broccoli blue cheese salad for Easter Sunday dinner at her family get together.

Walnuts, bacon, craisains, red onions, blue cheese and her ranch style dressing which has dill, powdered garlic, balsamic and cider vinegar, and some other stuff. I just raced through the kitchen to get a beer and grab a taste.

[Linked Image]

"Maybe we're all happy."

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
I saw some chicken feet at the store the other day......damned if I could figure out what anyone would do with em but now I know....thanks....I think.

The gas mask seems a little over the top but I've never ground my own horse radish so what do I know.

Jim.....that beef looks delicious.

If you're only grinding a small amount of horseradish there's not much of a problem. I was grinding about 5 lbs of it, though...after a while it has the same effect as tear gas. Eyes burn and shut, nose runs crazy, can't breathe, start to wretch...

The feet are actually the key to the best chicken stock. They make the flavor richer and deeper than any other part of the chicken can do.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gotcha...that did strike me as an awfully large amount of Horseradish.....
I'm sure home made is better than commercial but no more than I use I think I'll just stick with store bought.....well that and the fact that I don't own a gas mask. wink

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Simple and very good.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never heard of gumbo starter, but the finished product looks killer!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Looks like store bought Roux to me.

I had Hoppin John (Blackeyed Peas, Bacon, Onion, and Rice) .

I used this recipe (half a batch) cept I added a can of seasoned Collard Greens and gave it a good splash of hot sauce.
It was delicious.....I'll definitely make it again.

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/hoppin-john-rice-and-black-eyed-peas-134205

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
FieldGrade.

Trust me, the gas mask is NOT over the top.
Only made the mistake to grind some indoors ONCE!

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks great, FG!

I roasted a chicken tonight. Green beans and roasted potatoes to go with. Chicken came out real nice.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Looks like store bought Roux to me.

I had Hoppin John (Blackeyed Peas, Bacon, Onion, and Rice) .

I used this recipe (half a batch) cept I added a can of seasoned Collard Greens and gave it a good splash of hot sauce.
It was delicious.....I'll definitely make it again.

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/hoppin-john-rice-and-black-eyed-peas-134205

It ain't just a roux.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 127 of 785 1 2 125 126 127 128 129 784 785

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1minute, 264magnum, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 160user, 3333vl, 67 invisible), 2,330 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,538
Posts18,491,461
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.