Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JOG Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
What's the verdict on a mid length gas system on a carbine? Is it worth pursuing on an off-the-shelf rifle?

Thanks.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I've got mid-length gas systems on a 16" and a 14.7". I don't think there is any down side to them.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by JOG
What's the verdict on a mid length gas system on a carbine? Is it worth pursuing on an off-the-shelf rifle?

Thanks.

Short answer is yes.

I'm with MontanaMarine. My 16" AR's have mid-length gas on them and I have another 18" barrel in the wings that also has a mid-length gas system.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, & if you were going to build it, I would also advise you to use an adjustable gas block with it.

Depending on what kind of spring & buffer it might come with, an H1 buffer & a Blue (slightly enhanced) Sprinco recoil spring generally proves to be good with a mid-length 16" gun.

MM

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The gas port size makes more difference than where it's at.

If your off the shelf midlength is ported right, it'll be a little softer shooting. If not it'll be no better than a carbine gas system that is ported right.

Truthfully my 3 carbine gassed Colt's are gassed better than my LaRue or Noveske mid lengths. I've been looking at a new choke system to try but it's not bugged me enough yet.
http://www.blackrivertactical.com/concrete5/customtune-gas-port/

Last edited by TWR; 03/31/18.
IC B2

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by TWR
The gas port size makes more difference than where it's at.

Truth.

That's my experience as well; either one can be tuned to be very soft shooting, and either one can be overgassed and violent. If I have my choice I'll pick a midlength, but expect it to need tuning same as a carbine length system.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
My 14.7" middy was ported generously, and was jumping the rim on extraction. I put an H3 buffer in it and that settled it right down.

JOG Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks all. Focusing on mid length systems lead me into what seems like a great deal at CDNN. I ordered the M&P15 MOE Mid. Bite me, Schumer.

[Linked Image]

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JOG
Thanks all. Focusing on mid length systems lead me into what seems like a great deal at CDNN. I ordered the M&P15 MOE Mid. Bite me, Schumer.

[Linked Image]

I’ve got that one and that’s a great deal. In fact, it may be the best deal out there on an AR right now.

They’re a little gassy, but much better than a lot of options and a heavier buffer gets them running very smooth.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
JOG Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I’ve got that one and that’s a great deal. In fact, it may be the best deal out there on an AR right now.

They’re a little gassy, but much better than a lot of options and a heavier buffer gets them running very smooth.

That's good to hear because there are so many choices - confusing for a newb. Regarding the gas system, I appreciate all the input. In addition to getting the rifle to run efficiently I'm left handed so minimizing gas and debris flying out the ejection port is a priority.

Does anybody have any recommendations for a soft case? I'm thinking good quality, but I don't need a ton of extra storage - one rifle and 1/2 dozen magazines or so.

Robert Frost
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Just finished putting together a 243 upper together with rifle length tube and a Superlative adj. gas block. Loaded up some 70gr NBT and when I adjusted the block it landed in the center of the range of adjustment. Was able to go from no BCG movement to eject but not locking back to full function easily. Seems way too easy so far......

An armed member in a country is a citizen, an unarmed member is a subject.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (1minute, 2500HD, 1badf350, 280Jeff, 270cowboy, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 2,350 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,168
Posts18,503,103
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.