Print Thread
Hop To
K
KYFRED Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
We are looking at booking a caribou hunt with Ungava adventures for September. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

GB1

H
H
From what I have heard, they run a good operation there. I have also seem them featured on one or two of the outdoor television programs. I believe it is Sammy Cantafio that runs the operation. I am sure he would be able to give you a long reference list.

Homer

K
KYFRED Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
That is him. He has a reference list, but who puts together a bad list? I am looking for voluntary opinions not those he knows can and will talk well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Try huntingreports.com

Kiss your girlfriend where it smells.......take her to Jersey!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is what I found on the Hunting Report Newsletter:

http://www.huntingreport.com/mass_r...ava%20Adventures&RequestTimeout=1000

They have six reports on file.

Report ID: 5072 Weapon Used: Rifle How Hunt Was Conducted? Guided
Date of Hunt: Sep 14 2005 to Sep 20 2005
Place of Hunt: Canada - State/Province: Northern Quebec

OUTFITTER, GUIDE AND BOOKING AGENT DETAILS
Outfitter (or safari company): Sammy Cantafio, Ungava Adventures. 46 St. Ann Street, Suite 3-A. Pointe-Claire, Quebec, H9S 4P8, Canada. Tel. 514-694-4424, 866-444-3445. Fax 514-694-4267. E-mail: www.ungava-adventures.com
Personal Guide (if any): Nathan
Booking Agent (if any): N/A
Trip Arrangements
(if self-guided):
License Required:

GAME DESCRIPTION
Major Game Animals Taken: Caribou - Availability: Average

Game Sought But Not Taken:

Game Condition Comments: The bull caribou (2) I took were fat and sleek. Velvet almost gone.

SERVICE RATINGS (excellent, good, fair or poor)
Quality of Outfit: Good Guide/PH Ability: Good
Condition of Camp: Good Condition of Equipment: Good
Quality of Food: Good Trophy Care: Good
Name of Airline: First Air Airline Service: Excellent
Airline Comments:

COSTS

Hunting Fees: Amount: $5995
Trophy Fees: Amount: $0
Permits/Licenses: Amount: $250
Commercial Airfares: Amount: $0
Charter Airfares: Amount: $0
Other Costs: Amount: $0
Total: $6245

SUMMARY REMARKS
Problems of Hunt:
Highlights of Hunt: Second bull.
Equipment Recommendations: Raingear and waterproof boots
Would You Recommend This Hunt to a Friend? Yes
Why? Very organized and good camp.

HUNTER INFORMATION
Hunter Name: Andrew (Jack) Dossett
Contact Information: Tel. 505-291-9384 - 10504 Moon Tree Ct, NE, Albug. NM - E-mail: jackdossettmsn.com
Hunting Experience: Since 1939
Physical Condition: Above average for 74.

IMPORTANT NOTES (actions taken if hunter unhappy with hunt)
Notified Outfitter? N/A Notified Personal Guide? N/A Notified Booking Agent? N/A
Seeking any kind of restitution or other settlement from agent, outfitter or guide? N/A
If Seeking Restitution, What is Sought?

ADDITIONAL HUNTER COMMENTS AND/OR OUTFITTER/BOOKING AGENT REBUTTAL
Usually I don�t bother to relate my hunting trips to anyone except my friends but I had such a good time hunting caribou with the Ungave Adventures hunting staff that I feel I should share the experience with other hunters. I read your newsletters as soon as I receive them and enjoy them very much plus they are very informative and useful.
Now, I booked my hunt with Ungave Adventures when I attended a hunting show in Denver, Colorado on January 2003. I arrived in Montreal, Quebec on September 13, 2005 at the Best Western Hotel about 3pm in the evening. Hunters were instructed to report to a designated meeting place for further instructions, plane tickets, tags, etc. At the meeting that evening we received our airline tickets, baggage tags and the many questions we felt necessary.

Next morning we boarded First Air for Kuujjuaq (Ft. Chimo) and after a short flight we arrived at Kuujjuaq about the middle of the morning. On the flight I enjoyed the best breakfast I have ever had on an airline. We were met by the Ungave personnel and were told to wait awhile because the group required two trips to get all of us up to the hunting camp. I didn�t mind because the staff gave us a tour of the town. I wouldn�t want to live there. Anyway, shortly we were airborne in a Twin Otter airplane to our camp. The Otter flew very low (for my taste) and we got a good look at the country we were headed for to hunt caribou.

Upon arrival in camp we were shown our quarters for the stay in camp. I was very surprised. The sleeping cabins slept six people with plenty of room for our hunting gear. We had our separate oil heating stove and electric lights until 10pm. I�ve never had such good accommodations on any previous hunting trip. I was very pleased especially with the wooden floors. These things are important to the hunter that has traveled, in my case 3,000 miles to the camp, and most hunters arrive at camp tired from lack of sleep, hangover or any number of reasons. And when the sleeping cabins are fixed up like these were, it�s great. Snoring is another problem however.

There were 18 hunters (six to a cabin) with enough guides to have one guide to two hunters. There were seven boats with outboards for our transportation around the lakes and river. The guides were experienced and enthusiastic (too much for me) and we hunters caught the expectant feeling.

After some lunch we were given a short ride in the boats to get accustomed to the country. We all saw caribou on the ridges and swimming across the narrow lakes. That night the talk was of caribou and fishing. I don�t know what happened concerning the other hunters so all I can tell you is what happened to me and my hunting buddy. The second day the wind was blowing so hard that our guide, Nathan decided to take a walk around the shoreline of the lake and see if we could find some caribou. About a mile along the shore we saw some caribou quartering toward the lake. We hurried along out of sight and finally go ahead of them and hid behind a large stone. As they approached my buddy said why don�t I take the big bull if I wanted him. He looked good so we waited until they were about 130 yards and I took aim at the largest bull and dropped him in his tracks. I was using a 300 wsm with 180 grain bullets. Then the picture taking took place and processing the meat. While this was going on my buddy slipped around the lake a little further and killed another nice bull.

So the second day of hunting we had the first of our two bulls. The meat was transported back to camp by boat by the guide who really knew what he was doing. The cape and antlers were brought back at the same time. Upon our arrival at camp it was evident by the antlers at the meat house that a lot of bulls were taken that day. All of the antlers were better than average and everyone was pleased and ready for chow or dinner.

The next day I was very particular and didn�t shoot anything. But the thrill of watching other hunters stalking and shooting and shouting back and forth was worth the trip. I got my second bull the next day and he was the best one. All the things that were desirable were present on this bull. My buddy tried to get close enough to shoot a bull with his bow but nothing came close enough and he finally shoe one with his 30-06 rifle. After our guide collected all of the camps and meat we went back to camp. Nathan did everything and we tried to help but were only in his way. He was a real professional and it was a pleasure to watch him doing his work. I did not hear of a single instance where someone wasn�t taken care of concerning his trophy or meat.

The other hunters got their bulls in short order and then they turned to fishing. The guides knew all about the fishing program. A lot of lake trout were caught along with arctic char. The requirement on fishing was to catch and release due to the lateness of the season. But everyone had a lot of fun catching them and taking pictures of the action.

I bought a bird license to hunt ptarmigan and did pretty well by just walking around the small willow trees. They are fun to hunt and it doesn�t take long to collect your birds. I brought them home with me along with the caribou meat.

To sum up the experience it was an adventure of a unique nature. I�ve never seen so many animals outside a reserve of some kind that were trotting along in small groups of 50 or so animals. This is the ideal hunt for someone who can�t walk as far as they used to when they were younger. But I would recommend this type of hunt with this outfitter to anyone. All the things they promise in the brochure are true. Some things like the weather or mechanical breakdowns they can�t control. But for us it was an enjoyable experience.

If you or anyone else needs more information just call, write or e-mail and I�ll do my best to answer you. I�m not sure this type of letter is what you guys want, if not throw it away but I wanted to share this experience with other hunters.

Hunting the "Roar",
Mark Luce

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

274 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 2ndwind, 1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 36 invisible), 2,506 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,320
Posts18,526,412
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.