Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I had the opportunity to shoot an M1 Garand last weekend and was surprised at how will I hit things with it off hand. With the red dots, holographic sights, rifle scopes, is there a place in the line up for a simple carry handle gun with open sights? Would it be your first choice or your last choice in the gun you picked up to take with you when you had to use a gun for a serious purpose.

I was thinking another colt 6720 with a carry handle and a flashlight?

GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I like a carbine with irons for a walkabout gun.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I also enjoy shooting with the carry handle sight and A2 front sight. Sometimes you just need a break from scopes and red dots.

Shot this one today for the first time, tons of fun.

[Linked Image]

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My vision has always been poor, I do not shoot irons by choice.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
We tend to use what fits the use at the time generally. Sometimes its just for fun and then its up in the air as to what to use.

But we don't limit to only one thing,.

BUT if I did have to limit, it would have magnified optics on it.

That said I've obviously no problem with irons.

I'm amazed at how many have never shot an M1 or an M1A. Both handle really well and hunt very well. Have shot quite a bit of game with both and even more with the ARs.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I tried a carry handle on my last 6720 and was quickly reminded how heavy they were. Sold it and put a DD A1.5 on there. Then I put an EO-Thingie on it and am living happily ever after.

But my 6920 does have irons only because I keep a light on it and can see the irons better with a light than without. I need to shoot it more.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Brownells had some DPMS A2 uppers on their web site a couple of days ago. I just had to have one. Pretty much everything else I have has the removable handle. This time I'm thinking a 16 inch carbine light weight barrel with an A1 but stock. But, then again. A 20 inch lightweight barrel would be cool as well.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Would it be your first choice or your last choice in the gun you picked up to take with you when you had to use a gun for a serious purpose.

Well that kind of depends. Scopes might not be my first choice when its outside and its dark and its raining and I need to go and do something about something. And if there was a good chance of some rough handling a scope might not be my first choice.

I've been doing more offhand shooting with irons lately to 100 yards and I've rediscovered what old men knew 100 years ago which is that even old eyes can hit something at 100 yards without a scope. And further.

All things are always on the move simultaneously. - W.S. Churchill
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For me personally, hitting a target at the range isn't so hard with irons.
But, the real world is not clear to the sky, with a contrasting aiming point.
Trying to find an aiming point against a similar background, then putting a front sight on it,
gets much harder.

Not condemning irons, the problem is my crappy eyesight.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 04/01/18.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Shot expert with an a2 with standard iron sights out to 300 yards many a year in the army. If I had to be quick and dirty it would be my go to.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
FWIW eyesight can generally be overcome, but as we age it gets more complicated.

Plus if I wanted an all around, I'd go optics easily... like the 1-4 thats on my 458 Win mag. Lets you do a LOT of things including a precise head shot or thread the needle or really pour the coals to it if need be. I can shoot the 458 as fast as I can cycle the bolt even on 4x and hit targets.

And there is less of an issue then with front sight in focus, rear ap correct size, lenses in glasses being right and damn if you are like me with a trifocals... plus can you see the target well enough...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Ya I'm playing with a Trijicon 1-4 Accupower right now and if the BDC is on, (been too wet to go to the 600 yard range I have now) it might be a new favorite all around optic but I still like irons, and my EO-Thingie...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Who needs a carry handle?

With the factory peep this little .308 is useful even with my old eyes.

[Linked Image]

Have several ARs, including a .308W, but carrying them has never been high on my want-to-do list. The Ruger Scout carries well at 6.25 pounds..

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Carry Handles and Irons work as well as they did 50 years ago...that's not a debate. The issue is that there really isnt a reason to settle for "good enough."

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Who needs a carry handle?

With the factory peep this little .308 is useful even with my old eyes.

[Linked Image]

Have several ARs, including a .308W, but carrying them has never been high on my want-to-do list. The Ruger Scout carries well at 6.25 pounds..

Thats a big personal problem, thats all. ARs carry VERY well. And if you ever got into multiple targets you'd appreciate one. Not to mention the accuracy.

But then some of the world likes the way you think! LOL

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have an older Colt MT HBAR. The gun has a fixed carry handle. I just went through the planning to convert it to a flattop. I decided it was blasphemy to change the looks of an AR. I practiced with the iron sights and have become quite proficient. The full size gun and the sights fit like a glove.
MM879

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
This is my carry around gun, I’ve killed a few pigs and two does with it.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by hanco; 04/03/18.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
The carry handle sights on my Colt HBAR do not work, at all, with my eyes. Screw on my KAC Micro and I am good to go.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I like a carbine with irons for a walkabout gun.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Still lookin lean and mean there Shane. Nothing wrong with KISS (keep it simple stupid). Its hard to have a failure with rear sight aperature and front sight post.

Scott

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Hey Scott! And I like optics too, but sometimes irons are plenty, and save about a pound of weight.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

105 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 2500HD, 35, Akhutr, 10gaugemag, 15 invisible), 1,620 guests, and 933 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,946
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.