Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
We had all bared that cross. Favorite rifle shoots 2 in one hole one away ruining a great group. No, it is NOT barrel heat in this situation!

What causes it and how do you fix it? short of rebarreling that is. Optics tight and top of the line!

Nothing touches the barrel between the lug and forward pressure point.

What say you

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Got a Tikka that does exactly that. After all the talk about how accurate they are, it has me about ready to sell it. Ideas?

Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Correct inch lbs on stock screws?

μολὼν λαβέ

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
"he had all bared hat cross." WTF?

Originally Posted by Fotis
Correct inch lbs on stock screws?

IMO ( I could be wrong), if you gotta use a torque wrench on a hunting rifle - get rid of the rifle, or rebed it and get rid of the torque wrench.

Remove the forward pressure point would be my first option, and , equally, making sure the receiver is bedded absolutely flat (re the torque wrench! If the receiver bedding is flat, the torque wrench is un-necessary. If your receiver screws turn more than a quarter turn or so from coming snug to tight, you are warping the receiver into place again- that torque thing!!!) If this is a 3 screw deal, only bring the central screw to snug, not tight. It really doesn't do a thing, but fully tight might.... For example, the floor plate (if so equipped ) may be hard to seat and release if tightened too much.. This can be corrected also / or in addition, by properly bedding in the floor plate or trigger guard (just did this on a Model 70- over the years, wood conpression can screw thing up) )

Make sure the forward receiver screw does not protrude into the receiver too far, or at all...

Second would be rebedding, if necessary. Ain't no guarantee the first job was exactly right, much less effective. Nothing wrong with bedding an inch or two of barrel forward of the recoil lug either.

Third option would be full-length neutral bedding. Just set the whole damned works into epoxy bedding compund without benefit of receiver screw tension. (My M98 with heavy bbl, done so, does 1" groups at 300 yards. What is due to the heavy barrel and the bedding remains unknown, but I DGAS! :))

Fourth would be incrementally re-applying forend pressure point with subsequent strips of paper, then bedding a pressure point to best accuracy, just behind those self-same strips of paper.

Also, be sure the magazine box is fitting correctly. That should be up there at first, I guess

Last edited by las; 04/01/18.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I think the first thing to check is to see if the shooter is pulling the shot in anticipation of recoil...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Seat bullet deeper and it will bring it in... if it’s shooting a triangle group seat further out.... my fellow Alaskan wowzer, that’s one hell of a list. Again seat bullets deeper I usually go in .005 increments. Try that if it doesnt work I will buy you lunch at that little restruant that uses a caboose for its restruant in Cheyenne.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Have you tried different powders? How far off is the flyer?

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Shoot multiple 5-shot groups, or maybe a 10-shot, and then see what conclusions you can make. In my opinion, 1 shot out in a 3 shot group, and drawing a conclusion, is a failure of the method.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by prm
Shoot multiple 5-shot groups, or maybe a 10-shot, and then see what conclusions you can make. In my opinion, 1 shot out in a 3 shot group, and drawing a conclusion, is a failure of the method.

With no more information than we have this is a sound next step.

What about this rifle makes it your favorite?

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
That can be caused by a bunch of things. First thing to do is shoot some 4 shot groups and see if you get a group of 2 + 2. If so something in your rig is moving from shot to shot. Either your crosshairs bouncing back and forth or your scope bases or your bedding. Could also be caused by inconsistent placement of your rifle on the bag/rest. Especially so since you have a forend pressure point.

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Turn the seating stem in 1/4 turn at a time and shoot until all three come together as per Aussiegunwriter's tip.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Every rifle I’ve ever had that did that was a bedding issue. And it is almost always the second shot that is the flyer.

You shoot and the rifle shifts in the bedding a tiny bit. The next shot is the flyer and the vibrations causes it to shift in the bedding again back to the original POI.

So my last rifle that did that I finally narrowed it down to the magazine box putting tension on the action. Then after thinking that I was going to have to bed the mag box again, I narrowed it down to a pretty tiny metal spur on the box. I filed that away and the flyers disappeared. Then, with the flyers gone I found that I could make it boringly accurate by tightening it all down farmer tight and then backing off the rear screw one full turn. Now, everything I shoot in it practically touches.

Last edited by JoeBob; 04/02/18.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by joe6555
Got a Tikka that does exactly that. After all the talk about how accurate they are, it has me about ready to sell it. Ideas?

Yeah , sell it

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Don't ignore the possibility of the crosshair bouncing, it may be low on the list, but it does happen. My first 6mmbr with a proven scope would shoot in the teens when I did may part.....decided I wanted more magnification to extend my range. Went to a larger scope and the groups at 100 opened to around 3/4 inch. Scope swap back to the first scope and groups went back to the teens....
Good Luck,
Rick

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by prm

Yep. Shoot a ten shot group, slow and easy so heat doesn't become an issue.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by 79S
Seat bullet deeper and it will bring it in... if it’s shooting a triangle group seat further out.... my fellow Alaskan wowzer, that’s one hell of a list. Again seat bullets deeper I usually go in .005 increments. Try that if it doesnt work I will buy you lunch at that little restruant that uses a caboose for its restruant in Cheyenne.

I had a Savage 99 that would shoot 2 holes touching and always throw the third shot. I remember reading this fix on the fire some years back and tried it.,,,it worked. Three holes touching after deeper seating.

Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sherm_61
Have you tried different powders? How far off is the flyer?

[Linked Image]

μολὼν λαβέ

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Fotis,
I have to ask.....If that is a 200 yard group what is the extreme velocity spread of your load. Many times a variation in velocity from shot to shot won't necessarily show up at 100 yards but becomes more apparent at 200. I have zero experience with your load, bullet or powder but just thinking this could have a noticeable effect.
Rick

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by prm
In my opinion, 1 shot out in a 3 shot group, and drawing a conclusion, is a failure of the method.

Exactly. You might as well be changing out shocks because your check engine light came on! A 9-shot group on the same target will tell you a whole lot more than three 3-shot groups on three different targets.

Offering FFL 07 & SOT services in NW Montana
[email protected]
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
By the time he’s done doing all your guys recommendations he will have a new gun.. Again seat bullet deeper.. in some cases switching primers will bring it in. But I mess with seating depth before mess with different primers..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (1234, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,565 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,816
Posts18,516,649
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.