Hop To
Page 16 of 19 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 19
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by HitnRun
Originally Posted by m77
I have hunted a 6.5x55 since 91 and on large animals they are slow killers. Large animals shot through the lungs can die very slowly with the moderate 6.5s.

I have done plenty of culling with 6.5s and they kill much slower than 30 cals when animals are shot through the body. Yes the Scandinavians have used the 6.5 on moose for many years, but it does not make it the ideal option as who knows how many was wounded that could have been avoided. The first argument 6.5 'believers' always use is shot placement,[/b] but we are taught about shot placement when we are 6 years old and this is important with what ever we shoot[b].

This will never NOT be an arguable topic, but if it was just as simple as shot placement, [/b]they wouldn’t have caliber restrictions in Africa[b].

Guys, y'all are beating my drums ! wink

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
HR IC

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[Linked Image]

It's one of those rifles that will have to stay in the family, and be passed down....

Why an extended, extra capacity magazine ?

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jwall
[Linked Image]

It's one of those rifles that will have to stay in the family, and be passed down....

Jerry

I'm pretty sure that's a five round mag.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Jerry

Because the DBM with the 5 round AI mag feeds better more consistently than anything else.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
[Linked Image]

Jerry

Because the DBM with the 5 round AI mag feeds better more consistently than anything else.

This^^^^. And no, it's not in the way when the rifle is carried in either hand. The balance point is very near the front guard screw. Never had had one fall out either. Like a lot of folks, it was a hard sell for me at first. Now I won't have a rifle built any other way...

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Thanks Pat

I only wondered about the hi cap mag.
I wondered if you had enuff vermin to need more rounds down.

My Tikka Lite SS models’ mags aren’t flush either and don’t detract in handling.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Between reading Scenarshooter and Big Stick, I converted all of my bolt action rifles to AICS pattern magazines. They're bomb-proof once you get used to them.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
One thing I have seen is.many of the hunters in Africa have much more experience than North Americans on culling game. It is not uncommon to cull 100 or more animals on a weekend. They do have opinions on what bullets and calibers perform the best.

I am sure most have culled.more animals in a week than the average North American hunted will do in a lifetime. Chasing a mountain zebra for miles in the mountains would not be fun.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm showing 9 pages which makes me late to this game, i reckon...

I'd guess that it all comes down to experience and practice... I shot almost everything with a .243 for decades. I mostly hunt coyotes and it was always the rifle I had with me.

My first .243 was a ruger 77r tang safety. Big mojo and all who hunted with me agreed on that.

I shot that rifle out and bought a 77 MkII SS... Didn't much care for it due to stock dimensions and sold it privately. Came into a model 70 FWT because a guy owed me money and I caught him coming out of the LGS with a new rifle. That little rifle was and is the real deal. On it's second barrel now.

And i shot a lot of deer and antelope with my .243s. Took my first black bear with the old M77. Maybe those are medium game and the really big stuff needs something larger. But I'd bet on myself and a .243 almost anywhere...

I own more .30 cal rifles than all others combined. Still mostly hunt with .24s and .25s because I'm still always on the lookout for a coyote. We were calling coyotes when I took that 1st bear with the ruger...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Adams
I always get a kick out of the "accuracy is what counts not caliber" argument. We all know that accuracy counts. Or this argument "the less recoil the more accurate you are". Well if you practice and train properly I disagree with this argument except for the few that just can't overcome the fear of recoil no matter what they do to get over it. He!! I suppose I could take my .22 LR shoot a cape buffalo in the eye, hitting his brain rendering him DRT. Funny though I don't see to many guys using .22 LR on Buffalo or the 6.5's period.

Wonder why that is? If the 6.5 or .243 is great for killing elk and moose why not Brown Bears and Cape Buffalo. So someone will come back with the comment that many bears have been killed with a .243 or whatever under caliber-ed gun they can think of.

I mostly hunt Whitetails. Small critters. However there is no doubt I see more deer lost with bad shots with say a .243 vs. a 30-06. I consider my self a good shot. Don't remember the last time I used more than 1 bullet. But things can go wrong and when they do bigger is better without a doubt.

Do the animal your hunting a favor and use appropriate sized weapons and bullets to kill them as quickly as possible. Personally I won't use anything less than a .270 on a whitetail. My buddy won't let anyone hunt deer with him on his property using anything less than .270 equivalent or larger caliber because of experiences he has had happen. Many of the elk guides sites that I've been reading mention they prefer .30 caliber rifles or larger. Some mention if using .284 use heavy bullets. Why do the say this. Because of bad experiences with smaller calibers.

IMHO the .26" and smaller bullets are great varmint riffles. I can't speak with experience about antelope so some may be good for that also.

I think this is just common sense.

Thanks,

Merry Christmas everyone.

Adams

Having seen first hand what a 260 Remington loaded with a 125 grain Partition does on whitetails, I'm inclined to believe you and your buddy have not.

IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Wont use anything less than a 270 on whitetails? Good grief

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good thing I didn't read this before going out and killing all sorts of stuff with my 243 AI....

John Stark.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AB2506
Originally Posted by m77
I know this is going to cause plenty of guys to lose their s..t, but the reality is it is if you shoot at 'normal' hunting distance where most of these are used then there is nothing magical about them. I have hunted a 6.5x55 since 91 and on large animals they are slow killers. Large animals shot through the lungs can die very slowly with the moderate 6.5s. I have done plenty of culling with 6.5s and they kill much slower than 30 cals when animals are shot through the body. Yes the Scandinavians have used the 6.5 on moose for many years, but it does not make it the ideal option as who knows how many was wounded that could have been avoided. The first argument 6.5 'believers' always use is shot placement, but we are taught about shot placement when we are 6 years old and this is important with what ever we shoot. If a person can aim as accurately off hand as many claim why not just use a 223 for everything, even less recoil and cheaper to shoot? (I mention off hand as people say they sell all their other rifles and now use small/med 6.5s exclusively which would most likely include hunting/shooting off hand).

99% of hunters or shooters will hit an animal high in the lungs at some point (more likely that it will be numerous times if you hunt a lot) which then makes the moderate 6.5s a stupid option to hunt large animals with. Plenty of game farm owners in RSA did not suck minimum cartridges allowed on their property from their thumbs, they simply saw what happened when smaller cartridges were used on large game! I know a lot of the 6.5s are great cartridges with high BC bullets that are great to shoot long distance but I do not think it is the best option for large game as many claim, they simply cannot deliver the killing power similar to something like the 30-06! I presume one of the next posts might be how someone has never had a problem using something like a 6.5x55 or 57 on large animals, probably also someone who never misses or miss their point of aim but a 140gr bullet of any construction from a mid or small 6.5 is not the ideal option for large animals (160s can even kill slower with their very slow velocities). I am not saying we need 300 or 7 magnums for everything but I think some people think 6.5s have magically changed over night and developed some kind of special power when in reality they are still more suited for small and med game.

OK, chill everyone.

Perhaps M77 could have identified his experience better. IIRC, M77 has his own farm/game farm in the Republic of South Africa. Most outfitters specify 30 caliber or bigger for international hunters. Why? A lot of of their game require a lot of killing. They are just plain tough. Some theorize that it is because there are plenty of large, medium and small predators who make their living taking down big game animals. The prey animals just have a extraordinary will to live. I shot animals that should have been dead, but when approached, they jumped up and ran off and had to be tracked. When I checked the bullet tracks and the damage done, it was amazing that the animal was not dead and yet they could run off. I admit, I could have shot a bit better, but both shoulders broken? Wow!

I have heard some PH's who think the same as M77, that a small 6.5 is not a good killer. At least on anything bigger than an impala or a blesbok. A small 6.5 is not recommended for kudu, eland, gemsbok, zebra or wildebeest. I find that ironic as I found a lot of them personally used 270 Winchesters and rented/loaned them to hunters who did not bring their own rifles. And the 270 was deemed good for all of the critters I listed. The difference between a well constructed bullet in a 6.5Creed/260/6.5x55 etc and a 270 Win is insignificant.

They do like 2 bullet holes, as an animal that does not go down quickly runs for the deepest, darkest, thorniest and sometimes wettest hole they can get into. We hunt South Africa in the dry months. I thought I knew rocky country. Nope, the Eastern Cape wins hands down. What isn't rock, is dry and hard clay or dust. Tracking without blood is difficult. You touch an animal, you pay for it. So the outfitting industry tends to hedge their bets and encourage hunters to bring a rifle chambered for what they believe is a good minimum for their game. It's no different than someone from downeast who uses a 270 or a 30-06 for whitetails and now gets a 300WM for his mule deer/elk hunt. Unless he gets comfortable with that new 300WM, he probably would be better off using his 270/30-06 that he is familiar with, maybe just use a tougher bullet.

My thoughts anyways. For 20 years, my primary big game rifle was a 25-06. I used a Speer 120gr Grand Slam. Critters died, even if some people accused me of using a "varmint gun".

BTW, I bought a Kimber Montana in 6.5 Creedmoor last year. The only critter killed with it so far.... a small Canada bull moose. Shot in the lungs at less than a hundred yards. It ran through the aspen woods about 80 yards and fell over dead.

I think m77 makes some valid points especially given the context AB2506 gives. I personally love my little Creedmoor's and plan to hunt everything up to deer with them. For Elk and larger stuff I'm going to use larger calibers since I have them too. Some other great posts on the thread and some ridiculous ones too but I guess m77 knew exactly what would get stirred up from the start. I enjoyed the post. :-)

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Adams
I always get a kick out of the "accuracy is what counts not caliber" argument. We all know that accuracy counts. Or this argument "the less recoil the more accurate you are". Well if you practice and train properly I disagree with this argument except for the few that just can't overcome the fear of recoil no matter what they do to get over it. He!! I suppose I could take my .22 LR shoot a cape buffalo in the eye, hitting his brain rendering him DRT. Funny though I don't see to many guys using .22 LR on Buffalo or the 6.5's period.

Wonder why that is? If the 6.5 or .243 is great for killing elk and moose why not Brown Bears and Cape Buffalo. So someone will come back with the comment that many bears have been killed with a .243 or whatever under caliber-ed gun they can think of.

I mostly hunt Whitetails. Small critters. However there is no doubt I see more deer lost with bad shots with say a .243 vs. a 30-06. I consider my self a good shot. Don't remember the last time I used more than 1 bullet. But things can go wrong and when they do bigger is better without a doubt.

Do the animal your hunting a favor and use appropriate sized weapons and bullets to kill them as quickly as possible. Personally I won't use anything less than a .270 on a whitetail. My buddy won't let anyone hunt deer with him on his property using anything less than .270 equivalent or larger caliber because of experiences he has had happen. Many of the elk guides sites that I've been reading mention they prefer .30 caliber rifles or larger. Some mention if using .284 use heavy bullets. Why do the say this. Because of bad experiences with smaller calibers.

IMHO the .26" and smaller bullets are great varmint riffles. I can't speak with experience about antelope so some may be good for that also.

I think this is just common sense.

Thanks,

Merry Christmas everyone.

Adams

It seems to me that comparing elk and moose to brown bear and cape buffalo is a spurious argument from the start, since hunting large dangerous game is a whole different ballgame.

You are well within your rights to establish a self-imposed minimum of the 270, as is your buddy to issue an edict that anyone hunting on his property must use a 270 or larger caliber. My late friend Bearrr264 wouldn't let anyone hunt on his property with any rifles that features DSTs or exposed hammers, as he felt that they were unsafe, regardless of the experience of the user. Personal bias is fine, but if you're honest with yourself, you'll agree that your depth and breadth of experience is probably too limited to offer a truly informed opinion. Since you mostly hunt whitetails, you probably know a bit about hunting them in your geographic location, but probably not enough to speak with any degree of expertise beyond that. Or so it seems to me.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by machinistbutler
Wont use anything less than a 270 on whitetails? Good grief

Haha!! Shoulda seen the whitetail camp in Alberta I went to a couple years ago. I showed up with my 6 ai shootin 80’s, the next smallest gun a gent had was a 7 Rem Mag, the rest were 300 win mags and 338 edges. I thought I entered the land of the bionic whitetail!!!! Of course my 80 gr ballistic tip killed the biggest buck of the week.... grin

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Interesting comments by ab2806. While I'm hardly an expert in killilng African game, I have managed to whack 50 head or so, from springbuck size up through blue wildebeest, zebra, kudu, etc. No eland yet. I've hunted primarily with my Tikka 7mmRem Mag and 160 AB's. I found that with a properly placed bullet, none of these animals were as bulletproof as some make them out to be. Not calling anyone a liar, but they all died rather quickly. Some bullets were recovered, some weren't.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

This will never NOT be an arguable topic, but if it was just as simple as shot placement, they wouldn’t have caliber restrictions in Africa.

Yeah, because politicians and bureaucrats never enact laws based on ignorance and bullshit.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

This will never NOT be an arguable topic, but if it was just as simple as shot placement,
they wouldn’t have caliber restrictions in Africa..

depends who they are restricting and where....

.375cal legal minimum for DG for recreational hunters in some areas, while .308 cal is legally
used by Parks for culling elephants.

..good thing Gail Selby took her bull ele with 7x57 before gov. bureaucracy and 24CF came along
to tell Harry Selby he was doing it wrong.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I think that a lot of this discussion is apples to oranges. African game is notoriously tougher than most game in North America. I have no doubt that 6.5s will kill fine, but I cannot really see any reason to go to Africa with a smaller caliber rifle, being that it is an expensive hunt to start with.

Here, is something else. Anybody that says that a 270 is enough for deer etc., but a 6.5 is not, is just plain fos and does not have a clue about killing stuff. I am pretty much done hunting elk, but I have 7 mags for that. I have no doubt that my 6.5s would do just fine, but there is no reason for me to take them for the bigger stuff, when my 7 mags are just begging to be shot. I have become extremely fond of my 6.5s for deer, though, for sure. They just plain smuck deer and antelope with a variety of bullets.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WDM Bell is rolling over in his grave......

As Big Stick would say at this point, WDM Bell was someone who knew what-the-phuque about shooting dangerous game.

“He shot his 1011 elephants with a 7x57mm rifle”...

Bell recorded all of his kills and shots fired. It was a business to him, not pleasure, and he needed to record expenditures…

• He shot exactly 1,011 elephants with a series of 6 Rigby-made 7x57mm (.275 Rigby) rifles with 173 grain military ammo.
• He shot 300 elephants with a Mannlicher-Schoenauer 6.5x54mm carbine using the long 159 grain FMJ bullets.
• He shot 200 pachyderms with the .303 and the 215 grain army bullet.
• He went to a .318 Westley Richards for a while, which is a cartridge firing a 250 grain bullet at about 2400 fps, but found the ammunition unreliable and returned to the 7mm.
• He also recorded that one of the reasons why he favored the 7x57 was that the ammunition was more reliable and he could not recall ever having a fault with it. Whereas British sporting ammunition, apart from the .303 military ammo, gave him endless trouble with splitting cases.( He used the .303 in the hope of running into a Herd of Bulls so he could make use of the 10shots ! He was famed for using a Martini in .303 & holding the spare rounds between his fingers & could fire the rifle as fast as a bolt action !)
• The balance of his elephants were shot with this .318 and his .450/400 Jeffrey double rifle.
• He wrote about being able to drop an elephant with a light caliber rifle if he shot it in the same place that he would have shot it with a heavy rifle.
• It was unmentioned, but understood, that 7x57 ammunition cost a tenth the price of large caliber .450/400 Jeffrey cartridges and money is always a factor in business.
Just out of interest, it is must to be mention that to judge ammunition expenditure and his own shooting, he calculated an average. He discovered that with the .275 (7x57mm) he fired an average of 1.5 shots per kill. This means that half the time he only needed one shot. That is a fair performance for such a large number of elephants killed and considering that it is common today to fire an insurance shot, anyway. Seemingly a business man of a Hunter with a profit & loss acumen.

It is also interesting to note that, although Bell is the most famous proponent of using small caliber "nitro" rifles for large game, he did not discover the technique, nor was he its earliest advocate. Well known hunter Arthur Neumann, for example, had been shooting elephants with a .303 Lee Met ford rifle for years before Walter Bell got into the business.

WDM Bell is forever associated with the John Rigby & Sons Mauser rifle and the .275 Rigby cartridge. ".275 Rigby" was the British designation for the German 7x57mm Mauser cartridge. This cartridge propelled a .284 caliber, 173 grain bullet at around 2300 fps and the bullets he used for elephant brain shots were full metal jacketed solids. He declared once that a soft point bullet had never sullied the bore of his rifle. It is interesting to compare these ballistics with what is commonly regarded as essential performance today.

"However, if he had to do it all over again with a modern rifle he would choose a Winchester Model 70 in .308 Winchester loaded with homogenous bullets and sighted with a ghost ring rear aperture sight"

Last edited by David_Walter; 04/03/18.

John Stark.
Page 16 of 19 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (12344mag, 1badf350, 160user, 17CalFan, 16penny, 1Longbow, 49 invisible), 2,388 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,983
Posts18,499,770
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.