Print Thread
Hop To
B
Bob33 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I’m planning a fourth trip to South Africa for late summer 2019. I have a ten day hunting package, and don’t really have a long list of animals I want. I’d like to get an eland and a few other plains game animals. I’m contemplating taking two or three of the ten days to visit Kruger National Park, and wonder if it’s worth it. I can see elephant and lions in a zoo in the US, but can’t hunt impalas or kudus there. For the most part, I simply enjoy being in that country but do take photography somewhat seriously and bringing back photos is desirable.

Is it worth giving up a few days to visit a place like Kruger?

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Definitely worth it!

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I personally found it kind of boring compared to being in the bush. The drive there however was an outstanding look at how the people of the area actually live.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I spend 3 days with my wife there a few years ago and plan to take her back. I thought the time was well spent.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Did you LEAVE her there?? (So many questions.)

IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Been there twice ( once with former wife and once with current wife). It is well worth at least 2-3 days. I prefer more as I like to travel the entire park north to south and see the various ecosystems. The north end is markedly different from the south end. Perfect way to start or end a hunting trip.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I went there on my first trip to South Africa in 2000. We only spent 2 days there. I would go again and stay longer.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Unless I'm hunting someplace in "wild" Africa, I always try to spend at least a couple of days in a park. Love to watch and photograph not just game but everything else. Somehow the park visit usually takes place at the end of a hunt, though before makes more sense, as it allows time to get over jet-lag.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Mpumalanga Game Reserves are a great bet. I think this offers more than just a Kruger tour.

https://www.sa-venues.com/game-reserves/mpumalanga/

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
It's definitely time well spent. And I agree it should be done before the hunt but rarely is. If you do it after the hunt, you find yourself yearning to be back in your hunting area. Nonetheless, it's worthwhile.

Don't even think of comparing it to a zoo.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Comparing Kruger to a zoo is like comparing [bleep] to sirloin.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

Wife and I spent five days there several years ago. Kruger was an absolute delight and we enjoyed it immensely.

kd

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We always schedule an activity BEFORE the hunt. Gives any lost luggage a chance to catch up. Haven't been to Kruger in 15 years and from what I hear it has changed a lot. Something like triple the elephant carrying capacity is destroying the park. Better go before it becomes a desert.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My PH last summer said the same thing about the habitat destruction due to the elephants

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Bighorn
Definitely worth it!

yes, we saw the big 5 and really enjoyed Kruger.....

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
If you can get a reservation you'd be very well served to book 2-3 days at one of the private concessions that have fenceless borders with Kruger. You won't be crowded like in Kruger, the guides can drive off road, and you'll have a much more pleasant experience. Concessions like Sabi Sands or similar are worth a look.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by John_Havard
If you can get a reservation you'd be very well served to book 2-3 days at one of the private concessions that have fenceless borders with Kruger. You won't be crowded like in Kruger, the guides can drive off road, and you'll have a much more pleasant experience. Concessions like Sabi Sands or similar are worth a look.

That sounds like a great idea

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I think trying to do something like this is a great idea. I prefer to do it before the hunt. Like was mentioned you ave a chance to get lost luggage. Get past the jet-lag. You also get a chance to get your "game eyes" adjusted. That is you start seeing more animals. Kruger is nice, but can be crowded at times. Great way to begin a hunt.
Bruce

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by John_Havard

Was able to package up air and a stay for 3 nights on one of the more modest priced Sabi Sands reserves in 2016(Idube). Was a terrific experience and worth the price. Have also done Kruger and Etosha through hunting outfitters, hope to go again to Sabi Sands.....maybe Nkorho farther east, or Timbavati to the north.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

518 members (06hunter59, 16penny, 16gage, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 54 invisible), 2,768 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,624
Posts18,492,811
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.