Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by fredIII

You would still be a apologetic kcunt no matter what rifle you and your kids shoot.

I normally don’t engage with passive-aggressive sociopath’s, but in this instance I’ll make an exception... about a year ago, unsolicited by me, you apparently felt the need to unburden your soul and sent me a PM explaining that, in so many words, you’re essentially a complete dick.

I’ve decided you’re correct. smile

You are ashamed of being a hunter and a man your girlish opinions are just that. LOL. Some day when I kill a lion I’m posting it like you made. me pull the trigger just to make your ass tighten.
Your boyfriend can thank me I’m sure!!
GFY.

PS the pm was so you could read what a man respondeds with when pissyyy like your self slander others for posting pictures of successful hunts. IE. elk mans loin.
Psss you are a [bleep]. LOL.

Last edited by fredIII; 04/04/18.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rickt300
The Creed is a far better choice than the 243 for any big game hunting but it offers less than the 7-08 or the 270 when it comes to larger game like Elk. Adding that you already load for these two the choice would be easy for me.

I’m disappointed that, in what’s already turned into a three page pissing match, none of you took the time to jump on rickt300 for bringing up the 243.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I jumped on the 6.5 Creedmoor bandwagon last year. Bought a cheap Howa, loaded up some ammo, and shot some of the best groups I've ever fired. I also had a 7-08 and a 270, but I wanted to see what the 6.5 CM was about. No doubt it's here to stay, because it's a good accurate cartridge. But at the normal hunting ranges that 95% of us will shoot at game at, there will no difference between any of those 3, just as long as the shooter does their job correctly.

Still, I don't plan on getting rid of mine, and may even buy another one. It's too good to ignore. But, on the other hand, so are the 7-08 and the 270. Pick any one of those 3, and you can't go wrong.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
vapodog, I have a Savage American Classic and its not too ugly. but it ain't pretty either

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Of the three the 7mm 08 loaded with a 168 Berger should do better than the 6.5 CM with 140's in the wind and energy past 600 yards, this is a no brainer wink

It is not about what you kill, it is about the hunt....
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TOPCATHR
vapodog, I have a Savage American Classic and its not too ugly. but it ain't pretty either

My personal experience with Savage has been horrendously poor.....but that was a very long time ago. Since then Savage has come out with the accutrigger.....proof that they are very interested in improving their product....it's a splendid innovation and now copied by several arms MFRs!.

While a lot of old time manufacturers have folded up, they have kept the doors open.....accuracy has been a high point with Savage for a long time.....seems that take precedence with a lot of shooters.....even the model 99 I had years back was an excellent firearm in the accuracy department. However as the trend of buyers turned to the bolt action guns, Savage seemed to be much more into price points and retaining their accuracy values.....all other features like feeding, extraction, ejection, etc be damned. Yes, they don't have the style and flair that the Winchester M-70 gave us......but they were cheap.....and that seemed to be the Trump card.....looks be damned!

Had they found solutions to their function issues, maintained their accuracy issues, their appearance might command a different view point. That said they ignored their product....their customer didn't seem to care as long as they were cheap.

Today's Savage might just be the finest of the bunch.....but I wouldn't know as I haven't bought one in 30+ years....so in my eyes, the UGLY continues.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by StuckInOhio
Don't know if any one thought of it, but I don't think the PGC will let anyone use a 6.5 mm anything on elk in PA. If I remember correctly, must use a 270 or larger.
Suggest keeping that thought in mind when choosing.

Yes, but you could easy spend two lifetimes trying to get an elk tag.
I would worry about that bridge if you ever see it.

“Sweet lips, I drew a Pa Elk tag!!!!” “Great what rifle you plan on using.” “ I’m thinking Great Grandpa’s .270. He would have liked that, after all the years he and Granddad put in.”

Last edited by battue; 04/05/18.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by HitnRun
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Originally Posted by Bugger
A of old cranky dudes don’t want to spell it.

That's right, they'd rather assume they know all about it, without ever having shot it, or seen it shot....

It's here to stay....trust me.

That may very well be true, but the few advantages are wasted on the majority of people that don’t need or couldn’t use that advantage.

So, that's your excuse to dislike it?

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by HitnRun
Originally Posted by Bugger
A of old cranky dudes don’t want to spell it.

That's right, they'd rather assume they know all about it, without ever having shot it, or seen it shot....

It's here to stay....trust me.

That may very well be true, but the few advantages are wasted on the majority of people that don’t need or couldn’t use that advantage.

One of the advantages that will be used by the masses is a reduction of recoil for similar performance of larger rounds.

Anytime folks drop down in recoil, especially if they are dropping down from something like 7mm Mag recoil to 6.5 Creedmoor recoil, those folks are going to shoot better.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
As soon as an American manufacturer chambers the 6.5 Creedmoor in a rifle as svelte as an M700, with the M70 open trigger, a bolt handle that doesn't break off, sub minute of angle at 100 meters for 5 shots of course, with flawless ejection, fully scoped and loaded and slinged under 8 lb, factory stocked nice enough to not need a McSwirly, for a selling price of less than $699, I will buy it. Until then i guess i will just have to keep shooting my M700 in 280 Remington and hope the trigger doesnt fail me and the handle doesn't break off and no one makes fun of me for not having a 270 or a 7mm08 or a 6.5 Creedmoor.

Good luck with your decision!

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by rickt300
The Creed is a far better choice than the 243 for any big game hunting but it offers less than the 7-08 or the 270 when it comes to larger game like Elk. Adding that you already load for these two the choice would be easy for me.

I’m disappointed that, in what’s already turned into a three page pissing match, none of you took the time to jump on rickt300 for bringing up the 243.

We'll let the 270 shooters jump on him.... whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I jumped on the 6.5 Creedmoor bandwagon last year. Bought a cheap Howa, loaded up some ammo, and shot some of the best groups I've ever fired. I also had a 7-08 and a 270, but I wanted to see what the 6.5 CM was about. No doubt it's here to stay, because it's a good accurate cartridge. But at the normal hunting ranges that 95% of us will shoot at game at, there will no difference between any of those 3, just as long as the shooter does their job correctly.

Still, I don't plan on getting rid of mine, and may even buy another one. It's too good to ignore. But, on the other hand, so are the 7-08 and the 270. Pick any one of those 3, and you can't go wrong.

Your post is way too logical. You are going to piss someone off... Just not sure who it will be though...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Restock the 7mm-08

Save some nickels and snag a Barrett Fieldcraft in 6 Creedmoor.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Our local Farm and Fleet has been a 30-30, 30-06, and 270 mecca for 50 years. along the way they started stocking the .308, .243, 22-250 and the .223.

I tried for years to get them to stock some 7-08 and some 25-06. No dice...

They now have a half shelf of 6.5 CM offerings.

Still no 25-06.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Brad mentioned starting his kids on the 6.5, hell if I was starting over I'd start myself on one.

I start over all the time! Come on in Sam, the water is fine!

I switch up almost yearly. Partly because I get bored and partly because I like seeing how different bullets from different cartridges perform.

Just so happens, the three cartridges in question are my current favorites. They’re all perfect whitetail cartridges. They’re good for other stuff too.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
And I don't even own one.....

Nor do I.

Yet...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Since I have a 6mm Rem and 6.5X55 and BETTER cartridges....
what’s to gain in a ‘Creedmoor’ ? ( I can spell it ) whistle

laugh laugh

Jerry

just yanking a chain.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
MontanaMan,

You're right, my comparison of a high-BC 140 in the 6.5 Creedmoor and a typical softpoint in the .270 was disingenuous. I made because that's the typical comparison made by anti-Creedmoor guys, who only look at muzzle velocity--but should have mentioned the reason for my comparison

Let's make another comparison, using anoth pair of 140-grain bullets of the same brand and model, this time "mid-BC" bullets of tougher construction, so they'll penetrate reliably both at close and longer ranges--140-grain Nosler AccuBonds, again at 2750 in the 6.5 and 3000 in the .270. Let's also limit the range to 500 yards, still farther than most hunters shoot.

The .270 bullet will shoot flatter than the Creedmoor's, dropping 10" less at 500. So what? Most people who shoot that far dial-in elevation.

At 500 the .270 bullet will be traveling less than 100 fps faster, instead of the 250 fps at the muzzle. For those who firmly believe in kinetic energy, at 500 the .270 bullet will carry about 100 more foot-pounds--2/3 as much as a 40-grain high-velocity .22 Long Rifle at the muzzle.I sincerely doubt that would make any difference when hitting the ribs of a deer or elk.

At 300 yards (the maximum range for many, if not most hunters) the .270 will shot 2 inches flatter. I doubt like hell that the average hunter can hold within 2 inches at 300 yards.

At ANY range wind-drift will be just about the same, so there's no advantage or disadvantage there.

The big difference, as prairie goat pointed out in his recent post, is in recoil. The 6.5 Creedmoor kicks about 2/3 as much as the .270. Of course, some people would say the .270 doesn't kick much, but as PG also pointed out, if you're going to practice much with your big game rifles, it does make a difference.

I once spent what was an essentially an 8-hour work day, minus an hour lunch break, shooting a 6.5 Creedmoor with 140-grain AccuBond factory ammo out to 1000 yards, though most of the shooting took place from 300-700. Don't remember exactly how many rounds were fired, but it was well over 100, and probably over 150. I would NOT want to do that with my Winchester Featherweight Model 70 .270.

I also know, from actual field experience, that the 6.5 Creedmoor will kill big game just as well as a .270, whether deer or elk. I also know a 140 AccuBond from a Creedmoor will exit the chest of a 6-point bull elk at 40 yards, because that's what one of my hunting partners used last fall on a hunt here in Montana--and the elk dropped in less than 50 yards.

I am not a 6.5 Creedmoor addict, though I do own one (my third since 2010), in part because so many hunters want to know about it this days, including handloading data with the latest powders and bullets. But I also own and hunt with a .260 Remington, 6.5x55 and .270--along with a bunch of other rifles. If I decide to take a 6.5 hunting in the local mountains, it would more likely be a Tikka T3 Superlite .260 Remington, because it's consierably lighter than my Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor. On more level ground I might just take my custom FN Mauser in 6.5x55, with a hand-made walnut stock, Lilja barrel and Leupold 3.5-10x fitted with Darrell Holland's ART reticle. Or my Sauer drilling, made in the 1950's, which like the others has a 1-8 twist rifling twist, but also has two 16-gauge barrels in case I run into pheasants, Huns or grouse.

Or just for the hell of it, I might take my .270--or my NULA .30-06, Barrett Field Craft .243, or grandmother's 722 Remington .257 Roberts. With me, you never know, because both as a journalist and rifle loony I try to be "fair and balanced" to all rifles--unlike those who hate the 6.5 Creedmoor even though they've never shot one.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Brad mentioned starting his kids on the 6.5, hell if I was starting over I'd start myself on one.

I start over all the time! Come on in Sam, the water is fine!

I switch up almost yearly. Partly because I get bored and partly because I like seeing how different bullets from different cartridges perform.

Just so happens, the three cartridges in question are my current favorites. They’re all perfect whitetail cartridges. They’re good for other stuff too.

Say’s the guy who runs one of the largest gun shops in the country...

smile

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
As many have said I would restock and use the savings for another rifle. A 7mm08 can cover about anything in North America although it would be a little light for the biggest critters. Getting a 22-24cal would cover the light end better and more economically and gives you a reason to get rifle #2.

An armed member in a country is a citizen, an unarmed member is a subject.
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

514 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 16gage, 10ring1, 12344mag, 52 invisible), 2,848 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,755
Posts18,514,806
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.