Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The only justification for switching from a 7mm 08, which is one of the best rounds ever [re]invented, is novelty, since you reload.
And there's not a damn thing wrong with novelty. Nobody ever forgets a new rifle from Dad. Truly a no-loose scenario, and you are a fortunate man.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Where novelty to move me, and it already has because I own all these rifles owing to a recent 6.5 Creed, it would not move me to a long action cartridge, unless owing to Jack O'finity.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Jeff,

I recently found the Hawkeye .260 on the Ruger site in the "standard" Hawkeye section, with an 18.5" barrel.

I typed "260" in the "select a caliber" box in the firearm search page and the only 260 that came up was the Lipsey's RSI. Ruger is no longer listing the rifle that you found on their site. Or, if they are, I wan't able to find it.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Originally Posted by HitnRun
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Originally Posted by Bugger
A of old cranky dudes don’t want to spell it.

That's right, they'd rather assume they know all about it, without ever having shot it, or seen it shot....

It's here to stay....trust me.

That may very well be true, but the few advantages are wasted on the majority of people that don’t need or couldn’t use that advantage.

So, that's your excuse to dislike it?

Dislike, maybe, but certainly enough to not jump into that ring.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jeff,

Go to Ruger's site, click on rifles, then on Hawkeye rifles, then on standard Hawkeye. The .260 is listed right at the bottom of the cartridge list, with a red flag saying "NEW." I just looked at it again. It's 18.5" barreled, Mannlicher-stocked, a Lipsey's special.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Tag

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Despite my enjoyment of mannlicher stocked rifles, since I already have 25 260s, including a 77 RSI, a tang safety unit that has been rebored from 243, I'm probably among the least likely guy to buy the Lipsey's special, no matter how special they are.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
several Ruger M77 Africans in 6.5x55 on GB. Now that has me thinking about time to swing for a 6.5!!

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I own all three also and that is why I stated there were no bad choices. I am an unabashed 270 guy having owned dozens, and messed with bullets from 85gr all the up to 180gr. My go to hunting cartridge.

I own a couple 7mm-08's but have never hunted with them, but have friends that use them all the time. I consider it a 270 short, and that places it in pretty good company.
Many antelope, deer, and a couple of elk have been put in the freezer on our hunting excursions.

I own a Bergara HMR 6.5 Creedmoor, that when suppressed, the recoil is nonexistant. I just recently bought another Creedmoor, a Remington 700 SPS, that is currently getting 6" of the barrel trimmed off and threaded for a suppressor. This is going to be my dedicated subsonic hunting rifle. Hoping to use 140gr Hornady IL's as the online calculators show this bullet is easily stabilized in a 1:8 twist at subsonic velocities.

Arcus Venator
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
How is a 140 Interlock moving that slow going to perform on game?

IC B3

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Thanks for all the replies.

Let me address the restocking the original gun idea first.

It is a good idea but when we sat down to discuss what options he wanted on the new gun, I felt that going with a new gun was the better option. Some of those features were a 6 1/2 lb (or less) gun with cerakote finish, a quality trigger and stock, and the remington style safety. All his choices. So his original gun would need a new stock, new trigger, and cerakote and I would not know the weight of the finished product. Plus, how cool would it be if some day his children would be interested in hunting and he could start them off with the same gun he started with?

He has a Tikka Lite in 22-250 so another gun in 223 or similar caliber would not be necessary.

As many have stated (and what I suspected all along) any one of the three will work for his needs and we will let whatever gun he picks help decide what caliber.

Thanks

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mathman

I will find out. I used 277 caliber 140gr BTSP down to 1800fps with no issues and good expansion. Have also used 277 85gr TSX at 1900 fps with no expansion issues.

I could go with a softer bullet, like the SST but would have drop down in weight for length considerations for stabilization.

Arcus Venator
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by mathman

While I haven't used that particular bullet, IME standard big game bullets perform really poorly at subsonic speeds. Plus they are going to ricochet like crazy.

Something like a Lehigh Defense Controlled Fracturing bullet is a better choice, but I don't think they make a 6.5.

Good reason to stay with 30 caliber for subsonic use - 30 caliber has options designed for subsonic speeds.

Another choice is a wide meplat cast bullet, or handgun bullet designed to expand at subsonic speed. Which is one reason to go with 35 caliber for subsonic rifle use - lots of readily available handgun bullets or molds to make them.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by deputy30
Thanks for all the replies.

Let me address the restocking the original gun idea first.

It is a good idea but when we sat down to discuss what options he wanted on the new gun, I felt that going with a new gun was the better option. Some of those features were a 6 1/2 lb (or less) gun with cerakote finish, a quality trigger and stock, and the remington style safety. All his choices. So his original gun would need a new stock, new trigger, and cerakote and I would not know the weight of the finished product. Plus, how cool would it be if some day his children would be interested in hunting and he could start them off with the same gun he started with?

He has a Tikka Lite in 22-250 so another gun in 223 or similar caliber would not be necessary.

As many have stated (and what I suspected all along) any one of the three will work for his needs and we will let whatever gun he picks help decide what caliber.

Thanks

Seems like he wants a bunch of custom options, so customizing his original gun seems like the best choice, since he's just going to customize some other gun to get what he wants anyway. A new Timney trigger for a Remington is ~$130, or a well adjusted factory trigger works just as well. A Mcmillan Edge is around 600. Cerakote is garbage, so buy a couple cans of spray paint and you'll get the same result. The rifle with a 24 ounce Mcmillan Edge will make the 6 1/2 lb goal. As far as the possibility of having future grandkids to start out, simply bolt the rifle back into the original youth stock.

If simply looking for a new rifle, buy a Barrett Fieldcraft and "fuggetaboutit", as the NYC boys say.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Billy,

Sort of off-track, but Cerakote can be anything from really good to really bad. It depends on the percentage of silica, the ceramic component in the finish. I have rifles that were Cerakoted over a decade ago, and have been hunted a lot with hardly any wear on the coating. The one I've hunted with the most does have some very light wear on the corners of the muzzle, about like you'd see from blueing after a few hunting seasons, but that's it.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
The Fieldcraft is one of the rifles that is getting serious consideration: all though it is in third place due to the lack of a hinged floorplate.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Fieldcraft is one of the rifles that is getting serious consideration: all though it is in third place due to the lack of a hinged floorplate.

I can't fathom going to the super-light Fieldcraft (or Montana) as an all-around rifle. They aren't. The LA Fieldcraft might qualify, but not the SA version with its little no.1 contour.

Get something made/bought that finishes all-up (scope, sling, rounds) in the 7.25-7.5lb range with a barrel that finishes no less than .600" at the muzzle and you'll really have a lifetime, general purpose rifle.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Billy,

Sort of off-track, but Cerakote can be anything from really good to really bad. It depends on the percentage of silica, the ceramic component in the finish. I have rifles that were Cerakoted over a decade ago, and have been hunted a lot with hardly any wear on the coating. The one I've hunted with the most does have some very light wear on the corners of the muzzle, about like you'd see from blueing after a few hunting seasons, but that's it.

John,
I've had really poor luck with Cerakote. I've had three rifles with the finish, two of which were done by smiths with good reputations for Cerakoting - not sure on the other one, as it was purchased coated. All three scratched within the first day or two of use. Walt Birdsong's finish has held up better for me, performing more like your Cerakoted rifles.

Originally Posted by Brad

I can't fathom going to the super-light Fieldcraft (or Montana) as an all-around rifle. They aren't. The LA Fieldcraft might qualify, but not the SA version with its little no.1 contour.

Get something made/bought that finishes all-up (scope, sling, rounds) in the 7.25-7.5lb range with a barrel that finishes no less than .600" at the muzzle and you'll really have a lifetime, general purpose rifle.

Brad,
A long action Fieldcraft with a scope that holds up (like an SWFA 3-9 or Nightforce SHV 3-10) is going to be in that weight range, all-up with a full magazine and sling. I don't like the #1 contour on the short action Fieldcrafts either, though the 18" threaded version is really nice once a lightweight suppressor is added.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Brad,
A long action Fieldcraft with a scope that holds up (like an SWFA 3-9 or Nightforce SHV 3-10) is going to be in that weight range, all-up with a full magazine and sling. I don't like the #1 contour on the short action Fieldcrafts either, though the 18" threaded version is really nice once a lightweight suppressor is added.

Understood Billy, that's why I said it "might" qualify... the LA Fieldcraft is a fine rifle with its no.2 contour. In a 270 I don't think it can be beat, but I'd cut it to 22 or 23".

But, though the OP didn't mention it, the 6.5x55 might be the best rifle Barret makes!

PS, is it snowing at your end of the state? 12*F here and coming down sideways... spring, sheesh.

Last edited by Brad; 04/06/18.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Completely agree on the 6.5x55. The Fieldcraft 6.5x55 for sale recently in the classifieds was very tempting.

Very similar temperature and conditions here....it's been a long winter!

Last edited by prairie_goat; 04/06/18.
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

127 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 35, AceBall, achlupsa, 12 invisible), 1,734 guests, and 832 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,760
Posts18,514,972
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.