Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Wow - tangled up in crab pot lines.

That happened to a guy in a skiff a few years back here in SE - right in Lena Cove, about 1/2 mile from my place.

RIP Karl . . .

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
53 year old guy, 16' skiff, early spring, big water, high winds.

Well worth the $50K price tag to taxpayers for the SAR.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead

No kidding. He should have had the courtesy to do it in one of the many more remote places so the locals could have risked their lives at their own expense instead. laugh

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Training for those more deserving...

At least he had the decency to "tangle himself" in the pot lines...

Might be he knew what was up and deliberately tied himself to a bouy or two...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Much, much higher.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
bad deal, but imo there's worse fates than dying doing something you love. Ocean and weather deserve lots of respect, they can slap a mighty man down pdq.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

"(Spike Walker's stories do give one at least a glimmer of hope however.)"

Reading Spike Walker's books make me cold even when I'm sitting next to the wood stove.

Sounds like a bad decision was made that day that affected a lot of folks, too bad all the way around.

"The day I went to work everybody showed up to watch Johnny Luster work. Well, they had a wheelbarrow there, and said I was to push that thing around all day. I looked at it, then turned around and headed for the mountians..."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by maggie

Sounds like a bad decision was made that day that affected a lot of folks, too bad all the way around.

I think most - or many of us anyway- realize that we've done things that could have put us in his place. Ain't nobody that hasn't done something dumb (risky), at least not in the outdoors up this way.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
A helluva way to go.

A guy took me, North Carolina hillbilly and all, out of Whittier on an overnight shrimping trip some years ago. My first trip to AK, if you can believe that luck. Too many unforgettables to name. Among them that we only seemed to move the boat 50 yards further off shore and were in a thousand feet of water.

Anybody can pull pots there by hand is tough, and I hope they guy loved every minute to the last.

If winch-pulled shrimp are not as good, I would sure like to have some hand-pulled ones.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Klik, couldn't agree more, AK doesn't have the corner of the market for folks making bad choices. There's absolutely no reason I should be sitting here typing tonight, through my own bad decisions and poor choices over the years. There may be a bright side to getting older, I think I'm getting too tired, (or lazy), to want to try as many dumb things as I used to. Made enough that I don't throw stones at anyone else's mishaps.

"The day I went to work everybody showed up to watch Johnny Luster work. Well, they had a wheelbarrow there, and said I was to push that thing around all day. I looked at it, then turned around and headed for the mountians..."
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The above is absolutely true. And I have been guilty of said bad choices more than a few times.
What is also very true, is that the consequence of those poor decisions in this environment can be severe.
And it can happen fast...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
The above is absolutely true. And I have been guilty of said bad choices more than a few times.
What is also very true, is that the consequence of those poor decisions in this environment can be severe.

seems to me the vast majority of the time when things go sideways or to hades in a handbasket, they do so FAST !!!

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

seems to me the vast majority of the time when things go sideways or to hades in a handbasket, they do so FAST !!!

Yup, enough to make you wonder where it even came from...

And they do not have to come from poor decision making...

This case started with a bad decision.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Klik, couldn't agree more, AK doesn't have the corner of the market for folks making bad choices. There's absolutely no reason I should be sitting here typing tonight, through my own bad decisions and poor choices over the years. There may be a bright side to getting older, I think I'm getting too tired, (or lazy), to want to try as many dumb things as I used to. Made enough that I don't throw stones at anyone else's mishaps.

Yeah, we should throw stones and stupid should hurt. I expect more out of a 53 year old male than I do an 18 year old.

There is zero reason for this, money spent and other lives risked. This only occurred because a 53 year old man that damn well should have none better, still went out, or it was suicide by crab pot.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Since I"m 53, I wont' say I don't still do dumb things.

But that amount of wind and water in that small of a boat was not a sound decision.

Regardless that, condolences to friends and family.

Its always a shame when rescue has to be involved. I know that personally.

And its bad when a negative outcome is the end.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Wow - tangled up in crab pot lines.

That happened to a guy in a skiff a few years back here in SE - right in Lena Cove, about 1/2 mile from my place.

RIP Karl . . .

I've heard of it a few times too. The anchor always has me worried when I toss it over.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Winds gusting to 40 and you take a small boat out???
Beyond head shaking and mighty inconsiderate to everyone, regardless the outcome.

This^^^, and when he was evidently having motor problems.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Klikitarik

I think most - or many of us anyway- realize that we've done things that could have put us in his place. Ain't nobody that hasn't done something dumb (risky), at least not in the outdoors up this way.

Yeah, when i was 16.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

142 members (2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 338reddog, 308xray, 25 invisible), 1,801 guests, and 1,010 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,274
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.