Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by logger
They help you stay in the car.

[Linked Image]

Back in the old days of open wheel racing, when the driver stuck up like a lightning rod and the cars didn't dissipate energy through destruction,
it was thought that exiting the vehicle was a better option than staying with it.

Jilles Villenueves car (1982) dissipated its energy through destruction , but he still defied his 6 point racing harness
to jettison- become airborne. ( freeze video at 20 sec to see him)

FIA faced stiff opposition from drivers about mandatory wearing of seat belts, as a result the rules on belts
were lapsed and tardy....the much safer six-point harness was not in F1 until mid-1970's.

In cases like Roland Ratzenberger 1994 at Imola, being held by a harness vs flying out - would make zero difference.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My grandfather told me:

"The one's who don't wear a seat belt -
Are the one's who wear a sheep belt."

O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
Hope your friends heal up well, but I think they made a bad decision. I used to have my kids convinced the car wouldn’t go into gear without the belts being buckled. Buckling has saved my life or limb several times

Old 70

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I always wear a seatbelt and feel weird not wearing one. Years back the WSP had a public infomercial where a state trooper said he’d never cut a dead person from their seatbelt which maybe for him was the truth but in reality I’ve cut many dead people out of their seatbelt. That doesn’t change the fact that seatbelts save lives. I still don’t like the law that requires ADULTS to be required to wear one just like I hate helmet laws for adults. The idea that it saves the taxpayers is pure unadulterated bullshitt since everyone is required to maintain vehicle insurance and usually also have private insurance.

Children are an entirely different matter and I believe they should be required to wear one at all times when underway. My son is just starting driving and if I catch him not buckled then he loses the privilege of driving. My trucks my rules.

I have been on many calls where there’s no doubt that the seatbelt saved grievous bodily injury or death. Seatbelts significantly reduce the likelihood of ejection and those are never a good outcome.

I cut one guy out of his seatbelt but his head was absent from his body. He fell asleep, over corrected and his head went thru the sun roof while the car skidded a hundred plus yards on its roof. It looked like someone painted an 8 inch red line across the hiway where his head was ground off.

Most motorcycle accident fatalities wouldn’t have changed the outcome either way.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
To all who don't wear them, thank you. I work full time as a flight nurse. Sometimes it's exciting to go on a "good" call.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Yes. Every time.

I lost my brother in a low speed head-on with a cement truck. It happened in his neighborhood at a combined speed of about 25 on an icy curve. He was wearing his belt. It damn near saved him. The bruises on his shoulder were a testimony to that fact. He lasted a week, but the swelling in the brain was too much. His Jeep Cherokee did not have airbags like the following model year did. 80,000 pounds of cement and steel was about 20" over the line. It doesn't take much. It happened 11 years ago today.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by k20350
Guy I work with had his father die to being stubborn and not wearing a seat belt. He was elderly and had a hard fender bender. His chest hit the steering wheel and caused enough trauma for him to later pass away that day. I'm not a Dr. so I dont know the specifics but my friend says he would have undoubtedly survived if he had his belt on.

I believe it is an aortic tear. Body stops, internal organs continue moving forward (i.e. the heart) stretching and sometimes tearing the feeds to the heart. When I was a reserve cop we worked a wreck on a sunny Saturday afternoon. Simple fender bender, left turn in front of someone else, speeds maybe 30mph. Both parties out of their cars and talking when we arrived . One driver wasn’t wearing a belt but said he was OK. Refused medical attention ride to hospital which was literally 500 yards away. He just wanted to go home and rest.

Yep - you guessed it. We get a welfare check callout to his residence a few hours later. Bring the meat wagon, boy done died- bled out internally. An afternoon in the hospital instead of going home changed his fate forever.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
There can be government laws that serve no legitimate purpose. Seat belt and helmet laws are not in that realm. They are common sense safety laws that save lives every day and have a minuscule negative effect on our personal freedom. It is one thing to have the freedom to do something stupid that can harm you. But it is another thing when your act of freedom costs the rest of us money in extra car and medical insurance costs or hurts those we love. Others might consider this the price of freedom, not me. So on my end I do not want my kids to even think they should have the freedom to not wear a seat belt or a motorcycle helmet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Seatbelt and helmet laws are a revenue maker.

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wear them all the time, and make sure all passengers do as well.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Try to, and do wear em most all the time now, first time in 55 years, back last fall when a OHP Trooper fastened my belt for me and said, it may save your life, I saw true concern in his eyes. smile

I was headed to the Doc for a CT/MRI? scan for a rorotor cuff tear, couldn't have fastened that belt if I tried.

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by muleshoe
Seatbelt and helmet laws are a revenue maker.
Agreed..

But my son and his wife always wear theirs - and always wear helmets on the bike.. Bless 'em..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
We have a lot of comments on helmet laws. I've heard many guys say the wear them on the highway but not in town (where legal). That's backwards. If you lay one over at 60, most likely you're toast helmet or not. In town at low speeds is where they'll save you. At 20 mph, hitting your head on a curb or pavement is going to do some real damage.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,507 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,188
Posts18,484,884
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.