Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
There is an ongoing push to make acquisition appear easy, quick with minimal scrutiny. She surrendered the AR to local police.

http://www.philly.com/philly/column...omatic_rifle_in_Philly_in_7_minutes.html

[quote]Daily News columnist Helen Ubinas with a newly purchased AR-15 semiautomatic rifle on Monday. Slideshow icon SLIDESHOW
I bought an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle in Philly in 7 minutes
Daily News columnist Helen Ubinas with a newly purchased AR-15 semiautomatic rifle on Monday.
By the numbers: Gun sales and licenses in Pa.
That's how long it took me to buy an AR-15, the type of semiautomatic rifle used in the deadliest mass shooting in modern American history.

Seven minutes. From the moment I handed the salesperson my driver's license to the moment I passed my background check.

It likely will take more time than that during the forthcoming round of vigils to respectfully read the names of the more than 100 people who were killed or injured.

It's obscene.

Horrifying.

Maybe surprising to some - though it shouldn't be, not at this point in our bloody, hate-filled history.

If it wasn't so easy to get a gun in this country, the 29-year-old gunman who went on a shooting rampage in a popular gay nightclub in Orlando on Sunday wouldn't have been able to buy the weapon he used to kill 49 people and injure 53.

If it wasn't so easy to get a gun in this country, another gunman who came before him wouldn't have been able to use the same kind of firearm to kill elementary-school children in Newtown, Conn.

If it wasn't so appallingly easy to get a gun in this country, it wouldn't be easy for the next gunman to deliver the kind of carnage that's as much a part of this country as the American flag.

And there will undoubtedly be a next one.

This has been said, but bears repeating and repeating and repeating some more. If nothing changed after children - babies - were slaughtered inside their school, do any of us really believe anything will change following the deaths of people so many fear and loathe simply for trying to live their truths?

The gunman was apparently enraged over seeing a same-sex couple kiss. Think about that. Love enraged him. Love made him kill.

But I try not to think about any of that as I drive over to the gun shop in Philadelphia. I need to come up with some plausible story, I think. What if I'm asked why, a day after this massacre, I want to buy the very type of gun used to slaughter people at the Pulse nightclub in Orlando.

I consider my options:

I'm a woman who wants a rifle for safety reasons?

I'm a gun enthusiast with a soft spot for military-style rifles?

I'm a card-carrying member of the NRA who is afraid the government will be coming for my guns?

Turns out I don't need a story. The AR-15 is on display in the window of the gun shop. It is being promoted as the gun of the week.

What will it take to buy one, I ask the sales guy.

Did I have identification? Yes.

Was I a U.S. citizen? Yes.

"Bingo," the friendly gun shop sales guy said. "All we have to do is fill paperwork out." I've filled out more paperwork at the doctor's office for a routine checkup than I did Monday afternoon.

I felt a little squeamish about not telling him who I was and what I was trying to do, but this wasn't about them; they weren't doing anything illegal. The truth is that I could have bought the gun as easily in any gun shop in Pennsylvania. I just didn't realize how easily.

Go to a licensed gun store. Fill out about a page and a half of forms. Wait (if that's really the right word for it) for an instant background check, and then pay the man. I told the guy I was on a budget, so I got an AR-15 for $759.99. God bless America.

No need for a concealed carry permit. No mandatory training, though the guys did give me a coupon for a free day pass for a local gun range. No need for even a moment to at least consider how gross all of this felt as relatives of the dead were still being notified.

To be fair, there was an extra 10 or 15 minutes or so of chitchat inside the gun store before I walked out with a cardboard box with the words Smith & Wesson emblazoned on it, and an atta-girl for thinking ahead and buying the most popular rifle in the country before there's a run on the gun from nervous gun owners who fear a ban on them.

"Yeah, because it was about the gun, not Islamic terrorism, right?" a man buying a gun offered, unsolicited.

Here we go, I thought.

The fact is, what shattered so many lives in the early hours Sunday was about many things.

Homophobia, first and foremost.

Radicalism - the American gunman claimed allegiance to the Islamic State and praised the Boston Marathon bombers. Even if that's not true, the radicals won't have a problem with that.

Mental illness.

And yes, guns. Insane, nonsensical access to guns. So pick whatever reason or narrative matches your politics or agenda. Have at it, because the truth is that while they all play a part, what's really destroying this country is fear and hate. A festering fear and hate that we better think about when it's time to vote for our next president, because the fear and hate is not all coming from the outside. It's not all from some unnamed foreign bogeyman. Increasingly it's from within, from down the street, the next state over, the next potential leader of this country.

As I walked to my car with my brand-new gun, I wasn't sure what to do with it. I didn't want it, but I also didn't want it in anyone else's hands either.

So I drove to the Philadelphia police's Sixth District on 11th and Winter, where I seemed to stump more than a few officers when I explained who I was and what I wanted to do. Have you ever tried to turn in a gun in this city? Spoiler alert: It takes longer than it does to buy a gun.

As an officer prepared the paperwork, I noticed a sign that hung over one of the walls.

United We Stand, it read.

My God, I thought, what a lie.

We are more divided every single day, and yet our answer to that is to meet fear and hate with more fear and hate and then expect a different outcome. To be shocked at the world we live in, left to do little else but hold vigils.

While I write this, thousands are attending a vigil at City Hall.

My heart is with you all. But while we're mourning the dead, let us mourn the national loss of humanity that is to blame for this world we have created.

And let us take more than seven minutes to do it.

Editor's Note: This was revised to reflect that since original publication, the weapon used in the attack was identified as a Sig Sauer MCX, an AR-15 type semiautomatic rifle, but not an AR-15./quote]

Last edited by bigwhoop; 04/06/18.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
from the article:
Seven minutes. From the moment I handed the salesperson my driver's license to the moment I passed my background check.

Note that she both handed over a legal ID and passed the NICS check. It just shows that the check is very fast most of the time. She wasn't a criminal so why shouldn't she get it done fast?

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
759 for a sw mp 2

Seen em on sale at rural king for 529

Dumb bytch got taken to the cleaners for that price.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
And she could be chemically sterilized in less than 15 seconds by drinking the right glass of kool-aid. crazy

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Took about 20 minutes for me to buy a semi-automatic handgun last week (celebrated the march for our lives with a new gun). Clerk was having some trouble with the tablet they were using to do the background check or it would have been a little quicker. I don't see any problem with the system as is. Responsible citizens purchasing legal firearms from an authorized dealer in a timely manor.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Seven minutes is too quick. If they bumped that up to 20+ minutes it would save a lot of lives.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm old school. I think there should be NO paperwork, no back ground check, and no restrictions on gun purchases. smile

Sam......

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Now if it had taken her that long to get a double Big Mac through the drive thru she would be Bitchin about the delay....they are killin more folks than the ARs are.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
If she doesn't have a criminal record, all it's supposed to entail is paying the money and taking the gun home. Why is she surprised?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
FWIW, article is two years old...

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
OH MY GOD the Horror of it all!

The check system worked like it was intended to.

She lives in her own little world.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
And she didn't shoot anyone, or even want to. Wish the background checks around here worked that fast. She didn't mention if they threw in any ammo, or if she bought any.

She should have taken up the range day, and asked for some instruction. I am assuming she is decent looking which would help; as far as that goes, I am a bald scrawny old man, and at the range I can get help, shoot something different when offered a chance, and if I am unfamiliar with the gun, the owner makes sure I know the fine points of it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just more liberal propaganda. As always.

Molɔ̀ːn LabΓ© SkΓ½la!
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Me too... I bought two of them in seven minutes. In AZ, if you're a holder of a CCW permit, fill out the 4473 paperwork, and walk out the door. No need to wait as you have already been finger printed and researched by the AZ Department of Public Safety.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Next up she'll tell us how difficult it is to get an abortion.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've bought one way faster.

Parking lot loophole

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I remember those days.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
If she doesn't have a criminal record, all it's supposed to entail is paying the money and taking the gun home. Why is she surprised?

if she was at the DMV and had to wait 30 minutes, she'd be writing a story about how horrible it is they are wasting her valuable time.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
If someone took 10 seconds of her precious time to show her ID to prove citizenship or to vote, she'd hit the roof..

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

She could have bought a $1 worth of gasoline in less time, that has the potential to take out many more people all at once, all in one place, than any modern day recorded mass shooting in the USA has to date.

Happy Land Social Club

Arson and intentional fires

During 2010-2014, an estimated 261,330 intentional fires were reported to U.S. fire departments each year, with associated annual losses of 440 civilian deaths, 1,310 civilian injuries, and $1 billion in direct property damage. Outside or unclassified fires accounted for three-quarters (75%) of these incidents, while 19% involved structures, and 6% were vehicle fires.

Last edited by joken2; 04/06/18.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

100 members (10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 2ndwind, 44automag, 673, 16 invisible), 1,518 guests, and 972 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,484
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.