Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WideOpenSpaces
I just got a .308 a couple of weeks ago but have not fired it yet. Feels and looks great for the most part. Have loaded up some Scirocco IIs and A Frames on top of IMR 4064 and will take to the range this weekend and see how it shoots.

One thing I noticed is when I close the bolt with a cartridge in, there is a good bit of resistance, almost too tight IMO....like I am jamming something where it isn't supposed to be.....no matter how short the cartridge is. I went down to 2.7 and it feels the same as 2.89. Has anyone else noticed this?

I was going to say your brass isn't sized down enough for the chamber, but I see you've already fixed the problem. FWIW, I purchased a box of Hornady Superformance 140 gr. SST's while waiting on my components to arrive and noticed that they were a little tight when chambering. My handloads don't have any resistance at all.

The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!
HR IC

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I just got a .308 a couple of weeks ago but have not fired it yet. Feels and looks great for the most part. Have loaded up some Scirocco IIs and A Frames on top of IMR 4064 and will take to the range this weekend and see how it shoots.

One thing I noticed is when I close the bolt with a cartridge in, there is a good bit of resistance, almost too tight IMO....like I am jamming something where it isn't supposed to be.....no matter how short the cartridge is. I went down to 2.7 and it feels the same as 2.89. Has anyone else noticed this?

Let us know how she shoots!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks prm. I did not see the Fieldcraft listed.... so you had to send the complete rifle into them for fitting? Very cool using walnut your grandfather cut so many years ago!

I'm kind of OK with the stainless rifle in a wood stock look these days....however, I have now just become interested in which after market coating looks the most like blued steel though???

I hope you are able to post pictures when your new family Heirloom gets to you cool

Please don't feed the trolls!
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
2ndwind, yes, they can do a Fieldcraft. Actually, they can do just about whatever you want, but if you want the full aluminum bedding they are limited to what they have models for the CNC machine. That's my understanding anyway, I'd check with them.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by 2ndwind

..... I have now just become interested in which after market coating looks the most like blued steel though???

I'll throw this out because I just put a few pics up and to me I like the coating better than any other. Black Ice is pictured on a stainless rifle below. It's thinner and slicker than Cerakote. I've got a lot of cerakoted rifles, mainly in matte black and grey. They may be able to tint things to look more blued....and the matte/graphite black isn't bad...but the Black Ice is very close to a smooth dark blueing. It will wear on sharp edges but on smooth surfaces like the barrel it seems to scratch a lot less than cerakote.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B2

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by DubThomas

...... I purchased a box of Hornady Superformance 140 gr. SST's while waiting on my components to arrive and noticed that they were a little tight when chambering. My handloads don't have any resistance at all.

Good to hear. What kind of brass are you using for your handloads?

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by 2ndwind

..... I have now just become interested in which after market coating looks the most like blued steel though???

I'll throw this out because I just put a few pics up and to me I like the coating better than any other. Black Ice is pictured on a stainless rifle below. It's thinner and slicker than Cerakote. I've got a lot of cerakoted rifles, mainly in matte black and grey. They may be able to tint things to look more blued....and the matte/graphite black isn't bad...but the Black Ice is very close to a smooth dark blueing. It will wear on sharp edges but on smooth surfaces like the barrel it seems to scratch a lot less than cerakote.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That looks good. Im not yet certain how I’ll feel about a stainless Fieldcraft going in the wood stock. Considered Cerakote but I don’t want something that looks painted.

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Yours is coming right along and looking good prm.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by K22

I saw pics from yesterday. I like it! Checkering next, or more finish coats?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
prm, I had one of the earlier AI stocks as a review sample. When I first started to read about them I called and spoke to someone named Ben and we hit it off over the phone. I mentioned my enthusiastic long standing and high post count here on the Campfire. To my great surprise he offered to build a stock the way I wanted it with only a gentlemen's agreement that I would post a review here if I liked it. If I wanted to keep it I could then send in a check to purchase it for a wholesale price.

Ben called to tell me that he was not happy with the job the person who did the checkering had done but that he knew I had been waiting and would ship it out so I could give it a try. I had to look really hard to spot any imperfections in the checkering. For some reason though, the barrel did not have even spacing inside the stock. I called to tell Ben and he was surprised but told me to shoot it for awhile before we decided what to do with the stock.

I had a Rem 700 .35 Whelen with a Kippenger set trigger in the stock. The geometry of the AI stock handled the recoil noticeably better that the factory stock had. The Whelen had been a very accurate rifle to start with and the set trigger is sweet. I shot full power and a bunch of reduced cast bullet loads with it.

I had pretty much stopped noticing that the barrel channel wasn't perfect and fully intended to buy the stock. When I spoke with Ben again he said that he was sorry but had decided he just didn't want a "blemish" stock out in the market place with the company name on it.... The Whelen now sits in a McMillan stock... it's still a very nice rifle... but I should have just placed an order for another AI stock....

You are going to love your heirloom stock. I hope you are able to post some pictures soon.

JCMCUBIC, Thank you for posting... That is pretty much the look I'd want a stainless rifle going into a traditional looking wood stock to have.

Please don't feed the trolls!
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Speaking of Barrett Fieldcrafts, while scoping mine, I ended up with an extra set of Talley Lightweights, 1", Medium height. They are unopened, I'll ship them to you for $40.00

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I over scoped but I love allot of magnification. Swarovski Z-6, 5-30X52 with custom BT. 6.5 Creedmoor.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

went with the first load , 42.4 H4350, 143gr ELDX, It shoots the 140gr Berger Elite Hunter better but I had this deer I hit broadside, bullet went through, tiny hole in, tiny hole out, , almost lost him, I jumped him, luckily he stopped for a second shot which blew a clot out of original hole.

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by prm
Originally Posted by K22

I saw pics from yesterday. I like it! Checkering next, or more finish coats?

More finish coats, but its getting closer.

English Walnut for the next one? whistle grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by texag10
Barrett has a dealer locator. After calling 5 or 6 I found 1 in my area that had a Fieldcraft in stock. Seems that most brick and mortar stores wanted me to pay MSRP or even more so they could order the gun online and I could pay sales tax. I found an online dealer that takes returns, paid $300 less, and no sales tax.

Sounds great!

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The weather finally broke so I slipped over to the range to "break-in" the new Fieldcraft 6mm Creedmoor after the Dyna Bore treatment.

I shot three shots to adjust scope to mid target......next 4 shots were .417" the I blew it with fifth shot and opened to .737.

This with Hornady ELD Match ammo......with .005 to .007 runout.

I appears that Barret has this business figured out.....

I had mounted Sig Tango 4 on it.....seemed too large but if it works WTH?

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Picked up a 7/08 fieldcraft off a campfire member recently.Took it out today for the first time and a max load of Big Game pushing 140 accubonds was well under an inch. It's gonna be a sheep and blacktail killing machine!

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've got a 6.5 creed. I'm pretty tickled with it. Shoots factory and any reload I've shot out of it <1" consistently. Some well under...

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

389 members (160user, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 33 invisible), 2,034 guests, and 1,068 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,374
Posts18,488,432
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.