Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by crshelton

[Linked Image]

Nice Rifle ya got there.

I’ve also got a pair of those bubba see thrus in a drawer.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

... when was the last time that you fired a gun in a big game hunting scenario with enough rounds & fast enough to heat it up enough to have an real effect?

First: Great group !!

Second: this is a generalization - not directed toward 65.

I agree with your inference per thin barrels & hunting.
I don’t think most of us shoot enuff rounds -fast enuff- WHEN hunting for heat to become an issue.

UITerriblyM, I have only shot 3 times at one deer which was running SINCE 1972. BTW I killed him on the 3rd shot. IMO that’s unusual.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 65BR
MM, nice shooting. My first experience was in the late 80s, a 700 MR, bad crown that Rem butchered out the door, had to fix that, then lap the lugs, and glass bed the recoil lug and tang. After all that, it shot nickel sized groups for 3 with 150 Bt's, did not like 130s, something later 270s proved to be true as well. A joy to carry, not bad balance and weight with a then 6x. But, it went down the road, later M7s never shot to my standards. As Brad points out, they are nice to carry, but IME, I like more weight for steadying. Out west in open country, over a backpack, on sticks or bipod, etc. you can get steady. For how I have hunted, it's not always possible to get a good rest, so more weight helped.

Jeff, I p/u 2 CLRs unfired a few years back, in 7RM. Trigger untouched was atrocious, but the action seemed well made. Heard mixed reviews on the barrel quality, but most owners have done well with them. The balance and stock fit was surprisingly well with it's IIRC 24" barrel. Not a fan on a 7RM, especially in a real light rifle, so both sold. Had they been in 260 or 7/08, I would have kept them. Too bad Colt did not make SA models. They are not a bad platform and I'd trust their action quality more than a 700. Perhaps their bolt design/attachment was better. Yes, had a 700 fail on me.....

On weight, the rifle that 700 bolt failed, started out as a first production SS MR in 270, mid 90 production, or early 90. Built a 338-06 that weighed 8.0 even sans scope. Ordered a .700 muzzle, but it came out .73 by Hart. Then the stocks were a solid Hard rubber IIRC, I floated it, and it shot 1/2 MOA at 200 yds all day. Yet in the mountains, it was just too heavy up and down terrain with it's 1.5-6x B&L - granted not a light scope.

To me, a Tikka sporter with reasonable scope gets real close to a good weight smile

Now the best light barrel I shot OEM, was a #1 A Ruger, in 243. 3/8" for 3 out the box, with a 2.5-8x, but it was slated for a 6BR project with varmint bbl to 26", and it shot sub 1/2" - at 330 yds thanks to Pac-Nor, full glass bedding, and Kepplinger, and a 4-16x40 ao elite. That OEM 243 barrel was a good barrel, and thin at the muzzle as I recall. Thin muzzles go best with small bores...stiffer, IMHO.

I bought the CLR in 7mm RM because it was cheap and I thought that it might be a good place to start a 257 ROY build. I have thought about rebarreling a couple of spare 30-06 CLRs in 22 Newton, .224" not .228", and 256 Newton, maybe their numbers will come up in 2018.

Regarding barrel quality, several years ago, 2011 IIRC, I spoke to Mr. Forbes at length about the CLRs and he told me that he had insisted that Colt would maintain ULA level quality in the barrels, bolts, and receivers.

As I have posted previously, I think that a good used CLR in 270 or 30-06 is a better value than a new comparable bolt action rifle from Rem, Rug, Sav, etc.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My BIL asked me several years ago what rifle he should get for deer hunting as a Christmas present for his grown son. He had been to the Cabelas in his area (we all live in Missouri) and they had recommended a 30-06.The dad was not a hunter, and his son had never fired a centerfire rifle of any type.

I told him 7-08 all the way. His dad found a Remington SPS in 7-08 for about $500, and my nephew subsequently brought his new rifle over to our place to get it sighted in and learn how to shoot it. I had loaded up some 120 gr NBTs for him, then mounted a Burris FFII I had sitting around on his rifle and after 3 shots to get his scope sighted in - he shot a 3 shot group all touching in the black center diamond of the target at 100 yds. He did all the shooting under my direction with a good rest. He thought it was pretty cool, and so did I.

it isn't like there aren't high BC bullet options for the 7-08. Heck a 140 gr NAB or NBT in a 7mm will hang with a 143 ELDX in a 6.5 out to 500. And you can go 150 ELDX as Pharm has the 7-08 hangs for further than that.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Whelenaway - I did play with it for about one year:

Floated the barrel, Arkansas stone on the sear, stock length adjustment and recoil pad, Magnaported to reduce muzzle jump and experimenting with various loads to minimize group size. My best hand loading efforts resulted in a 5 shot 5/8 inch group(same as Remington 150 grain ammo) and so I gave in to the advice of multiple folk and - "that is a hunting rifle, so stop playing with it and go hunting.". The see through mount and Leupold M8 4x scope have not been touched (other than occasional use as a carry handle) for decades.

It has fired Hornady Light Magnum 150 and 165 grain ammo since Hornady made it available. Scope is set so that it has a line- of- sight hold out to 250 yards and a holdover of 8 inches at 300.
Though I have other rifles, for deer, elk, and hogs, it is my choice when something has to be killed. The current 3 year old box of Superperformance 165 grain ammo, has taken a cow elk, a coyote, Hogzilla, 3 boars, and there are 12 rounds left ( I shot the coyote and one hog off hand a second time to put them down and shut them up).
It is a big game hunting rifle and used only for that purpose.

Jwall - thanks, I kinda like it too. smile

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by CRS
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by mathman
How is a 140 Interlock moving that slow going to perform on game?

While I haven't used that particular bullet, IME standard big game bullets perform really poorly at subsonic speeds. Plus they are going to ricochet like crazy.

Something like a Lehigh Defense Controlled Fracturing bullet is a better choice, but I don't think they make a 6.5.

Good reason to stay with 30 caliber for subsonic use - 30 caliber has options designed for subsonic speeds.

Another choice is a wide meplat cast bullet, or handgun bullet designed to expand at subsonic speed. Which is one reason to go with 35 caliber for subsonic rifle use - lots of readily available handgun bullets or molds to make them.

Thanks for the information, will certainly take it all into consideration.

The rifle and cartridge is set already. If I have to play with more bullets, I will certainly do that. For the immediate intended purpose, ricochet will not be an issue. The shooting angle will be steep downward, with the ground as a backstop.

Lehigh defense 122gr 0.264 caliber bullets are too long to stabilize at subsonic velocities per Berger twist rate calculator.

The 122 grain isn't the Subsonic version, so you're not missing much by not being able to stabilize that particular bullet. They also make a lighter bullet, but there again, the minimum expansion velocity is well over the speed of sound.

You might look at something like a 95 grain Vmax in order to get subsonic expansion, otherwise you might have to go with a slightly unstable bullet and rely on it tumbling within the animal, which is a poor way to go about things.

The subsonic world is a whole different ballgame.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I don't shoot enough(or far enough) to bother making the switch from a couple 270's to 6.5's.

Brad mentioned starting his kids on the 6.5, hell if I was starting over I'd start myself on one.

Me too!
I might 'start myself' on one anyway-just for 'educational' purposes. grin

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by crshelton
Reading all these options gave me a headache and made me glad to have been so ignorant as to buy a pre 64 Model 70 Featherweight .308 as my first center fire rifle.
Now it seems a miracle that I was ever able to kill anything with it over the past 50 years.
Why just last weekend, shooting off hand, I shot two feral hogs in the head and one running in the shoulder (right where I aimed) with it; imagine how many I could have shot with a new whiz bang rifle in another caliber?

[Linked Image]

It only shoots so well because of those nifty scope mounts.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CRS
Originally Posted by mathman
How is a 140 Interlock moving that slow going to perform on game?

While I haven't used that particular bullet, IME standard big game bullets perform really poorly at subsonic speeds. Plus they are going to ricochet like crazy.

Something like a Lehigh Defense Controlled Fracturing bullet is a better choice, but I don't think they make a 6.5.

Good reason to stay with 30 caliber for subsonic use - 30 caliber has options designed for subsonic speeds.

Another choice is a wide meplat cast bullet, or handgun bullet designed to expand at subsonic speed. Which is one reason to go with 35 caliber for subsonic rifle use - lots of readily available handgun bullets or molds to make them.

Thanks for the information, will certainly take it all into consideration.

The rifle and cartridge is set already. If I have to play with more bullets, I will certainly do that. For the immediate intended purpose, ricochet will not be an issue. The shooting angle will be steep downward, with the ground as a backstop.

Lehigh defense 122gr 0.264 caliber bullets are too long to stabilize at subsonic velocities per Berger twist rate calculator.

The 122 grain isn't the Subsonic version, so you're not missing much by not being able to stabilize that particular bullet. They also make a lighter bullet, but there again, the minimum expansion velocity is well over the speed of sound.

You might look at something like a 95 grain Vmax in order to get subsonic expansion, otherwise you might have to go with a slightly unstable bullet and rely on it tumbling within the animal, which is a poor way to go about things.

The subsonic world is a whole different ballgame.

I was looking at the varmint bullets. I though an SST would be a good choice, but numbers don't mesh. I will try the IL's and be aware of ricochet issues. Stability is paramount as I do not want to trash a suppressor. The whole purpose is quiet, if it doesn't work, I will just hunt with suppressed standard loads. I have a couple spots that can be noise sensitive, hence subsonic. But they are both very controlled safe spots with a steep downward shot angle, directed away from urbanization.

What would you think of grinding the exposed lead tip off and drilling a hollow point in the IL?

Last edited by CRS; 04/07/18.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What would you think of grinding the exposed lead tip off and drilling a hollow point in the IL?
It wouldn't be my recommendation.

IC B3

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

515 members (1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 16gage, 10ring1, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 52 invisible), 2,847 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,755
Posts18,514,806
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.