GB1

G
Gibby Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by MossyMO
Congrats on your new WSM! Thought I would share a few modifications I made to mine to make things easier for me and may possibly interest you.

- First thing I did was wire tie the charcoal ring to the charcoal grate. This really make charcoal ash clean up less cumbersome and I never did come up with a good reason they need to be separate.

- Found some side handles off an old smoker that had been set curb side for clean up week and added them to the midsection. Makes handling the midsection much easier and also safer if it is warm or hot. Also handy for hanging a remote thermometer from.

- From CajunBandit.com I ordered a replacement stainless steel door to seal iy up tighter for better airflow and also ordered a probe port grommet to guide a cabled thermometer probe through. Also from the dollar store found magnets that were the same diameter as the probe port, this seals it up well when not using it

- Also added locking casters to legs, so much easier to move and a heck of a back saver.

[Linked Image]

There are some good ides there Mossy. Did my first "Hot Burn" yesterday to burn off the manufacturing oils.

What fuel stack methods do you like for the 22"?

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Gibby
Originally Posted by MossyMO
Congrats on your new WSM! Thought I would share a few modifications I made to mine to make things easier for me and may possibly interest you.

- First thing I did was wire tie the charcoal ring to the charcoal grate. This really make charcoal ash clean up less cumbersome and I never did come up with a good reason they need to be separate.

- Found some side handles off an old smoker that had been set curb side for clean up week and added them to the midsection. Makes handling the midsection much easier and also safer if it is warm or hot. Also handy for hanging a remote thermometer from.

- From CajunBandit.com I ordered a replacement stainless steel door to seal iy up tighter for better airflow and also ordered a probe port grommet to guide a cabled thermometer probe through. Also from the dollar store found magnets that were the same diameter as the probe port, this seals it up well when not using it

- Also added locking casters to legs, so much easier to move and a heck of a back saver.

[Linked Image]

There are some good ides there Mossy. Did my first "Hot Burn" yesterday to burn off the manufacturing oils.

What fuel stack methods do you like for the 22"?

I like setting a charcoal starter in the center of the ring and putting briquettes around it and putting about a dozen briquettes in the starter. Remove the starter leaving an empty area of charcoal in the center and after lighting the coals in the starter and waiting for them to be good and hot adding them to the center of the coals.

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
G
Gibby Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
That is what I do as well. Going to give the snake method a try for a long Boston Butt smoke soon.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I used a Luhr Jennesn Little Chief for 40 yrs. till the heating element gave up the ghost, just purchased a Mastercraft which will see it initial use this weekend. For wood I am a long time Alderwood user preferring the flavor it imparts over Hickory, I use it for all fish and red meat. For chicken I like Applewood's milder flavor, I like to smoke a couple of Rock Cornish Hens the small birds are easily prepared and turn out very flavorful.

IC B2

G
Gibby Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
While looking, I saw a Mastercraft propane that has a thermostat just like a gas furnace. I thought that was cool. (pun intended). I'll try some Alderwood. Hard to find it around here. I have an older Weber Kettle that I use to test flavors. Cornish hens always make a good meal. Just bought some this past weekend. Also ordered a Thermapen Mk4.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I just put on two shoulder butts a hour ago. I've been using the weber products many years and I've been grilling/smoking meats for 45 years. I tried using a gas grill but experiment didn't last a month. 18 inch WSM

[Linked Image]

Last edited by midtenn; 04/08/18.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Used to be Lucky Strikes.

Later on I switched to filtered Marlboros.

I am MAGA.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
hard to beat the wsm for the money. i've had the 18" for 7-8 years and love it. i fill the basket with kingsford and start start 8-10 bricks in a chimney and then scatter them on top of the unlit. put the meat on over a full water pan and leave all vents wide open until its 200 and then crank the bottom ones down to 1/3 open and it will go from about 10PM to 6AM at 225-250. this is good for brisket and pork shoulders.

My diploma is a DD214
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by rem141r
hard to beat the wsm for the money. i've had the 18" for 7-8 years and love it. i fill the basket with kingsford and start start 8-10 bricks in a chimney and then scatter them on top of the unlit. put the meat on over a full water pan and leave all vents wide open until its 200 and then crank the bottom ones down to 1/3 open and it will go from about 10PM to 6AM at 225-250. this is good for brisket and pork shoulders.

I agree......the wsm fits my needs. It was a well thought out and just works.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I have wine barrel I use for a smoker. Electric heat and a pellet tray for smoke. It’s killer for fish, jerky, cheese.......basically anything I want to smoke from room temp to maybe 160 degrees. It’ll get hotter but then it really depends on ambient temp, wind, etc.....

I use a Weber kettle with the smoke tray for other items that are cooked with smoke.

Big cooks, multiple butts, whole pig, etc..., I put together a concrete block cooker and use charcoal and wood.

Newest cooker is some contraption called the “Big Easy” roaster. So far I love it. No direct flame, built in pellet burner, grill top or roasting basket. It is awesome for roasting things like whole chickens and lamb roasts or grilling some items like big steaks or chicken. It’s awesome for ribs as well.

It can’t do direct heat so things like flank steak that you want to put a bit of char on in a short amount of time, it ain’t the best. It does get pretty hot though and you don’t have any flare ups. For everything else it’s replaced my Weber though.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
G
Gibby Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by midtenn
I just put on two shoulder butts a hour ago. I've been using the weber products many years and I've been grilling/smoking meats for 45 years. I tried using a gas grill but experiment didn't last a month. 18 inch WSM

[Linked Image]

You have it covered. I used the same setup yesterday. My Kettle is not as fancy as yours.

Cooked a room temperature beef standing rib roast. Used the Kettle to sear it for 15 minutes. Then it cooled while I placed it in the WSM. Kept the WSM at 200-205F for almost 5 hours. Removed at 128F internal. Four degree rise during rest.

The 22" tends to burn hotter. Used Weber Brickets using the snake method with very little Mesquite and a couple of Pecan chunks.

It turned out very good. The wife liked it since I stayed out of her kitchen and did not use the ovens. She made homemade rolls.

Two things learned:

Those Weber Brickets are the best for controlled burns. (Kingsford Blue Bag only for grilling.)

The Termoworks "Smoke" thermometer is well worth the money spent.

I fell in love with the WSM.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by midtenn

[Linked Image]

You have it covered. I used the same setup yesterday. My Kettle is not as fancy as yours.

Cooked a room temperature beef standing rib roast. Used the Kettle to sear it for 15 minutes. Then it cooled while I placed it in the WSM. Kept the WSM at 200-205F for almost 5 hours. Removed at 128F internal. Four degree rise during rest.

The 22" tends to burn hotter. Used Weber Brickets using the snake method with very little Mesquite and a couple of Pecan chunks.

It turned out very good. The wife liked it since I stayed out of her kitchen and did not use the ovens. She made homemade rolls.

Two things learned:

Those Weber Brickets are the best for controlled burns. (Kingsford Blue Bag only for grilling.)

The Termoworks "Smoke" thermometer is well worth the money spent.

I fell in love with the WSM.

When the time came for a new weber kettle, this one was on sale at $100.00 off, at Lowes.

My wife certainly didn't mind as I grill sometimes twice a week and do most all the cooking, retired.

I didn't know weber offered briquettes. I use Stubbs briquettes but I'm trying the weber briquettes next time, if I can find them.

The maverick thermometers I use are fun to use but not really needed.

What is needed is a good pin thermometer and I use the Thermoworks "Thermapen".

That thing is FAST! I've started using it for steaks, especially

when we have guests over when some like rare, medium or done.

Mostly use apple wood for smoking, sometimes I'll put a very small amount of hickory with the apple.

Last edited by midtenn; 04/09/18.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
G
Gibby Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
I have the MK4 Thermapen also. Love all the features. Fast and accurate. I got the silicone boot to put on it.

G
Gibby Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Going to smoke three slabs of Baby Backs this afternoon. (Costco pack)

Will be making a batch of "Secrete Sauce".
Standing guard. Also Have to alert the NSA and CIA to not overfly with their satellites. The ingredients need to be protected.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Looking for a new one. Because of taste, I am inclined to go to charcoal. I cook a lot of pork ribs and shoulders mostly. A Brisket every now and then. Trying to stay under $300.00.

What say you outdoor cooks?

Late to dance on this thread, folks. Apologies.Above quote fits my needs to a T.

I've always enjoyed the wonderful flavor of charcoal along with the option of adding various wood species which has me ready to order a Pit Barrel Cooker Junior when they become available again in May.

Wish me luck !!!

https://amazingribs.com/smoker-tailgater/pit-barrel-junior-review

OJG

G
Gibby Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Looks like a good unit. The price is right.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Holy crap Gibby. You scared the [bleep] out of me for a minute there until I re-read it. At first I thought you were buying a propane smoker. The WSM is a damn good smoker and I've seen more than one guy win comps on them. Just two words. Use lump.

Mike!

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
The WSM is a damn good smoker and I've seen more than one guy win comps on them.

Mike!

Had one for many years and loved it until I let my best friend talk me out of it.

OJG

G
Gibby Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
Holy crap Gibby. You scared the [bleep] out of me for a minute there until I re-read it. At first I thought you were buying a propane smoker. The WSM is a damn good smoker and I've seen more than one guy win comps on them. Just two words. Use lump.

Mike!

I use lump when I need a hot,hot fire on the Kettle. Nothing better for that. Perfect sear fuel.

The WSM has a lot of room for ash. Unlike the Big Green Eggs. The 22" WSM tends to burn a little hotter than the 18" and 14" ones.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

454 members (160user, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 163bc, 40 invisible), 2,462 guests, and 1,118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,331
Posts18,526,685
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.