Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Soulfly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
So in a couple months I'm taking the wife, kids, maw and paw and even the dog out to west Yellowstone for 2 weeks and I would like to get the kids a set of quality binos to use. I'm thinking Bushnell Powerviews 10x42 but at $60 each that's maybe a bit much. Are there any good binos out there for $30-$40?

Thanks in advance

Soulfly

A lap dance is sooooo much better when the stripper is crying
GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Soulfly
... would like to get the kids a set of quality binos to use. I'm thinking Bushnell Powerviews 10x42 but at $60 each that's maybe a bit much.

I'd submit that the red words seem to be incompatible with each other, as do the green ones.

You didn't specify ages, but if the kids are young/small, they might have a hard time holding 10x42's steady, especially for long periods of time. Granted, you're not glassing on a hunt, but this might add more challenge than they need. Also, quality at even $60 doesn't really exist.

Are there any good binos out there for $30-$40?

Ummm... yeah... probably not.

The Leupold 6x30 Yosemite is very frequently the answer to this question, and I think it really works here, due to their small size and weight. Field of view will be good, and the product is sturdy enough to withstand reasonable, "oopsies" that can sometimes happen with kids.

At $90, it's about the lowest priced binocular that I'd feel confident about describing with the word, "quality".

Then again, maybe Doug has some ideas. He's good about stuff like this.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You failed to mention how old are the kids. If young circa 4-5 years old they will probably be satisfied with a set of compact binos, at that age or even younger it's more about imitating what adults are doing than actual "glassing". Older would benefit from the Leupold's mentioned above, think of them as an investment. The young ones if they are like my young ones were will more likely abuse than use a pair of binos.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
......... 6x30 Leupold Yosemite.... Doesn't fit your price criteria but for a special trip like that they would be worth splurging on. You'll be glad you did. My 14 yr. old step- grand-daughter has been using our Yosemites since she was 5 or 6, the 5 yr. old step grand-daughter started using 'em this year and my wife uses 'em all the time at home. I can't get near them too much so last summer I got a pair of 8x30 Yosemites on sale; might have been about 90 bucks IIRC. But they're worth it. Can't beat 'em in their price range.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Nikon Prostaff reverse porro prisms run under $100 for 8x25. I have a 10x25 that is my knock-around range tool, and I'm very happy with it. That's the best value I've found.

All that said, I had a real low end Tasco bino that I think I paid $12 for. That was a better optic than some in the $50-60 range that I've seen. It was my better-than-nothing glove compartment optic.

The Prostaff is something that you'll keep and use for a long time. The cheap Tasco bino is something that will keep your kids amused.

Be not weary in well doing.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
+1 on the Yosimite 6x30. Good fit for little faces. Eye cups kinda suck as they don't like to stay up. I used my daughters hairbands under the cups so they'll stay put.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Another +1 for the 6x30 Yosemite’s, the guy who designed em did so for his kids. Excellent optics for the price. Good enough for grownups too.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Soulfly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 22250rem
......... 6x30 Leupold Yosemite.... Doesn't fit your price criteria but for a special trip like that they would be worth splurging on. You'll be glad you did. My 14 yr. old step- grand-daughter has been using our Yosemites since she was 5 or 6, the 5 yr. old step grand-daughter started using 'em this year and my wife uses 'em all the time at home. I can't get near them too much so last summer I got a pair of 8x30 Yosemites on sale; might have been about 90 bucks IIRC. But they're worth it. Can't beat 'em in their price range.

Kids are 10 & 13 and this is a trip I have been planing for years. Its the reason I purchased a travel trailer and it will likely be the last big trip I can take my parents on due to their age. The kids have both been working hard at school and they would probably get some use out of these and they should last forever.

Your probably right on this one, you sure cant take it with you.

Thanks

A lap dance is sooooo much better when the stripper is crying
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Yosemite 6x30 my grandkids each have one.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Kids are 10 & 13 and this is a trip I have been planing for years. Its the reason I purchased a travel trailer and it will likely be the last big trip I can take my parents on due to their age. The kids have both been working hard at school and they would probably get some use out of these and they should last forever.

Your probably right on this one, you sure cant take it with you.

Thanks

Maybe give them the opportunity to save some allowance $ to chip-in on the binocs. They’ll be even more excited about the upcoming trip, and will likely have more pride of ownership in them. Hopefully fewer drops, if ya get my meaning.

Be sure to get lots of pictures - this will be an amazing trip!

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Another vote for the Yosemite's.

I make my kids share. It causes fighting/entertainment.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Agree a Yosemite or equivalent Nikon would be a great choice.

Last edited by Ghostinthemachine; 04/09/18.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I picked up a like new set of binos at a pawn shop for way less than retail.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
... would like to get the kids a set of quality binos to use. I'm thinking Bushnell Powerviews 10x42 but at $60 each that's maybe a bit much.

I'd submit that the red words seem to be incompatible with each other, as do the green ones.

FC

All spot-on.
The 6x Yosemite is the way to roll.

A 10x at that general price point is a shade above beer bottle glass.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ok I will dare to go lower- what about 7x35 Bushnell Falcons for about $30 or so? They are multicoated at least with a nice f.o.v, easily steadied and bright enough ?

Sending a PM on info since I didn't see them advertised here.

Last edited by kenjs1; 04/12/18.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

461 members (3040Krag, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 2ndwind, 1badf350, 48 invisible), 1,779 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,037
Posts18,521,005
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.