Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Options? I have Smith's in 629, 686 and a stainless snub .38 model 60.
Like to have a colt Magnum carry but $$$. What model Smith's are reasonably priced (under $600)
I can't decipher the model numbers.

GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
In the S&W's you want to look for Model 19's and 66's (adjustable sights) or 13's or 65's (fixed sights). Those are all K-frames. In the L-frame S&W made both 586 (blue) and 686 (stainless) .357's with snub-nose barrel lengths, some of which were 7-shot (686+).

Here's a pic of a pair of S&W .357 snubs, a 3" M66 and a 3" M65:

[Linked Image]

Comparison in 3" (Model 65) and 2.5" (Model 66) barrel lengths:

[Linked Image]

It is unlikely (but certainly not impossible; deals are out there, particularly at local stores) you will find a K or L frame S&W snub for under $600, but for between 6-700 you can expect to find 2.5" 19's and 66's if you are diligent in your search.

As nice as the fixed S&W's are, in the .357 I strongly prefer adjustable sights, even on a snub-nose, to accommodate various bullet weights and to fit the point of impact to your hold. I sold my 3" M65 for that reason.

Last edited by Oregon45; 04/08/18.
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
This used to be my off-duty gun for some time after my dept went to autos. The 3" K-frame has garnered quite a cult following. A 3" .38 works well with +P loads, which is what you'll probably end up carrying anyway.
Bob

[Linked Image]

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Here's my 640-1 J frame, it's filthy but it works
[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
That 2.5" model 66 is exactly what I want.
Iveen looking at the 640, but I just can't go hammerless.
Thanks for the pics. ALL very nice guns.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jackmountain
That 2.5" model 66 is exactly what I want.
Iveen looking at the 640, but I just can't go hammerless.
Thanks for the pics. ALL very nice guns.

I’ve got both and they both work for my purposes. Wife keeps one around the house. She’s had hand and thumb surgery so the hamerless works for her.
A K frame of any kind is accurate and fun to shoot. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Ruger SP101 is a nice piece, a little on the heavy side but a great shooter.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
2 3/4" Security 6

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
An old Speed Six Ruger is a nice one that fits the bill.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
If I were gonna hunt for a modern day Smith in a snub configuration it would be the 640 Pro Series.

But in reality I'd just buy a LCR and call it good.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
They covered all the basic ones above... if you are interested in a longer barrel, I have a model 28, and. GP 100 for sale

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have no use for a .357 with the two inch barrel, but I dearly love the ones I have with the three inch barrel.

Sam......

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Nobody so far has mentioned the snubbie that all the rest wish they could be. Though I normally like S&W revolvers since I made sort of a living working on them I never liked their little J frame deep concealed ' Chief Special ' style revolvers, either exposed or shrouded hammers. The grip geometry is horrendous for high pressure cartridges and they almost never shoot close to point of aim. To my way of thinking a Colt Detective Special or Cobra ( same gun with alloy frame ) especially earlier exposed extractor rod is the answer. Six shots instead of five, Colt's easy let-off DA pull and no other snub nose that I've handled that comes closer to hitting point of aim. The D-frame is a bit bigger and heavier in steel but still easily carried in close. I've carried mine with Pachmyer Presentation rubber grips since early 70's with the standard old 38 Sp FBI 158gr LSWCHP ammo and it prints 2" high right at 21'.

BTW 3-4" barrels are not what is considered a snub-nose revolver. Generally a 2" to 2 1/2" barrel holds that title

Last edited by Woodpecker; 04/09/18.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Woodpecker
Nobody so far has mentioned the snubbie that all the rest wish they could be. Though I normally like S&W revolvers since I made sort of a living working on them I never liked their little J frame deep concealed ' Chief Special ' style revolvers, either exposed or shrouded hammers. The grip geometry is horrendous for high pressure cartridges and they almost never shoot close to point of aim. To my way of thinking a Colt Detective Special or Cobra ( same gun with alloy frame ) especially earlier exposed extractor rod is the answer. Six shots instead of five, Colt's easy let-off DA pull and no other snub nose that I've handled that comes closer to hitting point of aim. The D-frame is a bit bigger and heavier in steel but still easily carried in close. I've carried mine with Pachmyer Presentation rubber grips since early 70's with the standard old 38 Sp FBI 158gr LSWCHP ammo and it prints 2" high right at 21'.

BTW 3-4" barrels are not what is considered a snub-nose revolver. Generally a 2" to 2 1/2" barrel holds that title

I carried an old Detective Special IWB for several years.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I have no use for a .357 with the two inch barrel, but I dearly love the ones I have with the three inch barrel.

I split the difference. I want a 2.5" .357 mag.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Amen! I just say under 2.5" because there are plenty of 1 7/8" snubbies.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

I carried an old Detective Special IWB for several years.

I miss my Detective Special every day.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
A Smith & Wesson 340 is a nice little snub nose, not for the faint of heart with 357 mag, I usually get 20 rounds through her and I’m done :-) but Doable.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Model 66 2.5" and Model 60 2" .357's. The Model 60 is my favorite carry and it's amazingly accurate with .357 defense loads

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by BamBam
A Smith & Wesson 340 is a nice little snub nose, not for the faint of heart with 357 mag, I usually get 20 rounds through her and I’m done :-) but Doable.

Which honestly means you won't be practicing much with that little biter. The whole thing about carrying a snub nose ' full cartridge ' revolver is to learn to draw it and shoot it more or less point of aim. No adjustable sights or ribbed and spikey hammers that become fabric snatchers guaranteed to bind you up half-drawn and so adrenalized you won't know a wall from a target.

To hit with a snub nose in a stress condition you need to see nothing but the front sight during the learning process of lots of range time after which you will know your hit zone instinctively from your arm and grip presentation thereafter. Your arm and stance will control your hit zone if your shooting without cover/rest but only after lots of practice so your body has this memorized. A good revolver will keep the hits close to point of aim and those that don't just add a layer of possible error in a stress fire situation. Nobody but the best will instinctively try to hold low left 3" with a gun that won't hold point of aim. You want a gun the throws a bullet where the barrel is pointed.

If there is one revolver that should be test fired from a machine rest before buying it's the snub nose 38/357 and with at least three good defense ammo offerings. My Colt Dick Special is unusual as it will group the same from 125 -158 gr. These guns are special.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 63 invisible), 2,426 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,044
Posts18,500,842
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.