Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
X
X1Proto Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
X
Well I picked up yesterday the latest Ruger No1 I purchased last week. It is absolutely the last New Ruger No1 I will ever buy.

Its a 1V in 243 Win made for Lipsey’s a couple years ago I think. I didn’t realize they had made these with a 26inch barrel instead of 24 or else I forgot about it. That makes it I believe only the second 1V in 26 inch Bbl along with the 220 Swift.

Now for the Workmanship or lack thereof its atrocious.

The Metal looks decent but does not have the High Polish of the past No1’s.

Now for the Wood Fit, what wood fit, I think I could have done better blindfolded. The Forearm Fits a lot closer on the Left Side than on the Right Side. The Proud Effect is at least double as it is on the left side. The Screw that attaches the forearm looks off center but it could be because the Checkering Pattern is Off Center.

The Butstock is even worse. The Fit on the Left side is about the same as the Forearm then on the Right Side it is even Prouder than the Forearm protrusion.

Now for the Butstock Checkering Pattern. The Checkering Pattern on the Left Side measures 460 thousands up from the Grip Cap, then on the Right Side it measures 430 thousands!
A whole 30 thousands difference from one side to the other the machine operator must have had a bad day or was half asleep when he aligned the Butstock in the Checkering Machine.
The Pattern is up farther on the Grip of the Butstock than any I have ever seen.

I’m sure glad I didn’t pay anywhere close to retail for this rifle as it was not a good buy at any price.

If that’s the Quality the Ruger Factory is building today its my last one.

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
send it back to RUGER bet they will improve it.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I agree send it back. I recently bought a #1B in 6.5CM and other than the wood which has little to no figure it's a nice rifle. None of the faults you mention are present.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Got one just like it and while the stock was apparently finished with YooHoo, the workmanship is fine. Nice, but not fancy wood.

Regrettably, a gunbearer wasn't included in the purchase price.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
That is unfortunately what you should expect of Ruger quality these days.

IC B2

X
X1Proto Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
X
I also recently purchased a Marlin 1895 Cowboy in 45-70, a Henry Big Boy in 357 Mag, and a Chiappa Lever Action 22LR a copy or reproduction of the Marlin 39 Mountie and the Fit and Finnish on all of them are Flawless.

They didn't cost anywhere near as much as the Ruger No1. So if other companies can build a Quality product what the hell is wrong with Ruger?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by X1Proto
I also recently purchased a Marlin 1895 Cowboy in 45-70, a Henry Big Boy in 357 Mag, and a Chiappa Lever Action 22LR a copy or reproduction of the Marlin 39 Mountie and the Fit and Finnish on all of them are Flawless.

They didn't cost anywhere near as much as the Ruger No1. So if other companies can build a Quality product what the hell is wrong with Ruger?

I call bullschit.

First of all - NO PICTURES to back up your rants about the Rugers "defects".

Secondly , you are so IGNORANT of the guns you claim to have owned you do not even realize that the Chiappa Lever action .22 is NOT a replica of ANYTHING. That gun "sort" of looks like a Marlin from the oustide but the guts are totally different.

Also ,they are made from pot metal- no steel- in the reciever. Comparing one of those peices of schit to a genuine Marlin m39 is like comparing a Yugo to a Mercedes . Most do not even make it through a full brick of ammo before a parts failure.

Based on your obvious ignorance and "keen" abilities of observation , IMHO you aren't qualified to critique much of anything Ruger makes...

Last edited by jk16; 04/09/18.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

I’m sure glad I didn’t pay anywhere close to retail for this rifle as it was not a good buy at any price.

My burning question is this: If theres so much wrong with it, why did you buy it?

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well I picked up yesterday the latest Ruger No1 I purchased last week. It is absolutely the last New Ruger No1 I will ever buy.

Its a 1V in 243 Win made for Lipsey’s a couple years ago I think. I didn’t realize they had made these with a 26inch barrel instead of 24 or else I forgot about it. That makes it I believe only the second 1V in 26 inch Bbl along with the 220 Swift.

Now for the Wood Fit, what wood fit, I think I could have done better blindfolded. The Forearm Fits a lot closer on the Left Side than on the Right Side. The Proud Effect is at least double as it is on the left side. The Screw that attaches the forearm looks off center but it could be because the Checkering Pattern is Off Center.

The Butstock is even worse. The Fit on the Left side is about the same as the Forearm then on the Right Side it is even Prouder than the Forearm protrusion.

Now for the Butstock Checkering Pattern. The Checkering Pattern on the Left Side measures 460 thousands up from the Grip Cap, then on the Right Side it measures 430 thousands!
A whole 30 thousands difference from one side to the other the machine operator must have had a bad day or was half asleep when he aligned the Butstock in the Checkering Machine.
The Pattern is up farther on the Grip of the Butstock than any I have ever seen.

Mine wasn't near that bad....but it ddn't shoot for diddly squat....so I returned it to Ruger....and when it returned it still didn't shoot for diddly squat.....I returned it again and again if failed to deliver anywhere the accuracy it should have....it was a heavy barrel varmint model.....so I called Ruger and asked what ammo they was testing it with.....they then told me that if the gun shot 1 1/2" groups at 50 yards it met their standards.
You don't need photos to convince meof Ruger quality.

I constantly hear about how good their service department is.....I just wonder why so many folks need to use it.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe

My burning question is this: If theres so much wrong with it, why did you buy it?

He ordered the gun....it was in said condition when it arrived.....is reading that difficult for you?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jk16

I call bullschit.

Secondly , you are so IGNORANT of the guns you claim to have owned you do not even realize that the Chiappa Lever action .22 is NOT a replica of ANYTHING. That gun "sort" of looks like a Marlin from the oustide but the guts are totally different.

Also ,they are made from pot metal- no steel- in the reciever. Comparing one of those peices of schit to a genuine Marlin m39 is like comparing a Yugo to a Mercedes . Most do not even make it through a full brick of ammo before a parts failure.

Based on your obvious ignorance and "keen" abilities of observation , IMHO you aren't qualified to critique much of anything Ruger makes...

Before you call BS, you should walk into a store that has a few #1s you can lay your hands and eyes on. Many really are just as he described.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

I call bullschit.

Before you call BS, you should walk into a store that has a few #1s you can lay your hands and eyes on. Many really are just as he described.

I have looked at many recent Number 1 rifles..None of them looked any different than those made in the last 10 years.

Despite the fact that there is a lot of precision machinery used in making guns these days , in the end HUMAN BEINGS still make them.

Mistakes can happen. And the ONLY way to correct that and make sure it does not happen again is to call the manufacturer ( no matter who they are) tell them.the issue , provide photographic proof if need be then request( or demand)a return shipping label be sent and let THEM fix it.

The folks at Ruger are human beings and I doubt they can read people's minds. Letting THEM know about issues directly so THEY fix THEIR problems is the only way to resolve it.

Internet whinners bitching on a forum and providing no proof of anything does not accomplish anything. .
And neither does your brainless defense of same.

Last edited by jk16; 04/10/18.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
The last new Ruger #1 I purchased, about a year ago, is the best of many I've owned. Some have had slightly more elegant wood but none have had better wood/metal fit and none have shot more accurately.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I call bullschit.

I have looked at many recent Number 1 rifles..None of them looked any different than those made in the last 10 years.

Despite the fact that there is a lot of precision machinery used in making guns these days , in the end HUMAN BEINGS still make them.

Mistakes can happen. And the ONLY way to correct that and make sure it does not happen again is to call the manufacturer ( no matter who they are) tell them.the issue , provide photographic proof if need be then request( or demand)a return shipping label be sent and let THEM fix it.

The folks at Ruger are human beings and I doubt they can read people's minds. Letting THEM know about issues directly so THEY fix THEIR problems is the only way to resolve it.

Internet whinners bitching on a forum and providing no proof of anything does not accomplish anything. .
And neither does your brainless defense of same.

A while back my Cabelas had about a dozen of them. Most in 280. I forget what the rest were. They were very bland wood and there were "ledges" where the wood met the medal. The blueing was not anywhere near the rich deep blue that many others have. They were selling them for $899. I read elsewhere that someone was told they were "seconds." I have no idea whether that is true or not. I have read on this forum and on the Ruger forums of people who have samples similar to the OP. This may sound odd, but I believe your experiences, and I believe the OPs. I am a Ruger nut, but I have had enough personal experiences with them, seen other poor samples and read enough credible reports to know that Ruger quality control is pretty bad right now.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D

I said the same thing six years ago, “never will have another”
I’ve had four if them, accuracy sucked.
Sorry you fell not the same trap.

Last edited by dale06; 04/10/18.

NRA Patron
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
you should have taken it back too the gun dealer you purchased this No.1 from and he should have gladly sent it in to get fixed right.i have done it in the past and Ruger repaid me my shipping expenses also.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by dale06

Like Paul Bernard above you post that same butt hurt crap on EVERY Ruger rifle thread. It gets a bit old to those of us who have owned dozens and never gotten a "bad " one.

Anyone who clains to have owned four innaccurate Ruger no1 rifles without getting ONE "good" one is either the most unlucky human ever or a compete loser behind a rifle .

My guess is that it is the later.

Last edited by jk16; 04/10/18.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I must be lucky all 4 of mine look great and shoot great

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dale06

Like Paul Bernard above you post that same butt hurt crap on EVERY Ruger rifle thread. It gets a bit old to those of us who have owned dozens and never gotten a "bad " one.

Anyone who clains to have owned four innaccurate Ruger no1 rifles without getting ONE "good" one is either the most unlucky human ever or a compete loser behind a rifle .

My guess is that it is the later.

You'll just have to harden the hell up buttercup. I will continue to tell the story of Ruger's bad QC where appropriate. With that I'll leave you to your marginally literate ramblings.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

You'll just have to harden the hell up buttercup. I will continue to tell the story of Ruger's bad QC where appropriate. With that I'll leave you to your marginally literate ramblings.

I'm a four for six guy.....two good guns out of six....the two were Vaquaros....a very fine SAA handgun.....and it took that long to say....no more Rugers in this house.

Last edited by vapodog; 04/10/18.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 204guy, 12344mag, 219DW, 1Longbow, 67 invisible), 2,446 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,301
Posts18,487,081
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.