Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's my criteria for hiking boots.

1. They must fit well. No matter how many whistles and bells the boots have, if they don't fit well, they are garbage.
2. All leather. This creates good ankle support.
3. Lined with Gortex or similar membrane for waterproof and breathability.
4. Large rubber rand at the base of the boot to enhance durability and water resistance.
5. Lug soles. Vibram is best but others work well also.
6. Mid top length. Top of boot just above the ankle for support.

Don't get long/high top boots. They are heavier and they make it harder to walk.

Don't get 100% waterproof boots. They will make your feet sweat and give you blisters.

You don't need or want insulated boots out west because you probably won't be sitting in a tree stand. You can anticipate a lot of walking.

If I anticipate snow, then I wear a pair of Kennetrek Hardscrabble mids and Gortex/Nylon gaiters.

If I don't anticipate snow then I wear a pair of OBOZ Bridger mids. They have rocker soles and that makes it easier to walk.

Remember to wear good thick socks made of Merino Wool or SmartWool. Change your socks every day.

If your feet sweat then use foot powder to keep then dry.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Finding a good heavy boot here is almost impossible, so I an currently sourcing a pair of British issue ammo boots in 9L, then I am taking them in to a cobbler and have a set of Itshide commando soles attached...this will leave me with a pair of 9 wide heavy boots with a layer of heavy leather sole and a heavy rubber outsole.

I have already found some US issue Taslan laces for same.

I am doing this as it seems the only way that I can get a good heavy boot to stomp around in whilst cutting firewood, I do not purchase US made boots as they all seem to be too narrow...and everything locally has molded soles.

added;

Basically recreating these in a wider width.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by JSTUART; 04/08/18.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I don't have the hunting experience that others do, but I did make my way up a couple dozen 14ers while I lived in Colorado. Also had several other ten mile days in everything from snow to desert, always with at least a day pack. I never found standard $150-$220 hiking boots from one of the reputable companies like Salomon or Asolo to be lacking at all. If I needed warmer, I just wore more sock.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by seven_miller
I never found standard $150-$220 hiking boots from one of the reputable companies like Salomon or Asolo to be lacking at all. If I needed warmer, I just wore more sock.

Good advice and a generic but well made pair of work boots from companies like Red Wing and Chippewa will serve well. Good socks and then gators for wet or snowy conditions and you are all set. Funny thing about African PHs is how many hunt in sandals and heaven forbid even Crocs.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Hunting the plains and mountains of Wyoming I got 4 good hard years out of my Irish Setter Vaptrek's, Brand new I put an extra ring of glue around the sole and mink oil them up good..Have hiked 3 mile 3k elevation days for elk and mule deer and 12 mile canyon hopping days chasing cats with them. Go Non insulated! I run a merino wool liner sock with merino wool light weight sock in warmer and mid weight merino in the winter. bottoms are loosing some tread but I will keep the Vaptrek's for back up boots. Am trying out Schnees timberline this year.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by vapodog

Oh....yea....if it says Herters.....don't even try them on........they're expensive even if they are free!!!!!

Definitely not going that cheap! I've always believed in quality shoes and boots.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by KC

6. Mid top length. Top of boot just above the ankle for support. .................

Don't get long/high top boots. They are heavier and they make it harder to walk. ..................

If I don't anticipate snow then I wear a pair of OBOZ Bridger mids. They have rocker soles and that makes it easier to walk.

Interesting thoughts. I would love to get away with a lightweight 5-6" boot similar to these, but I was thinking I really needed an 8" boot with a rugged vibram type sole....

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by magnum44270
Irish Setter Vaptrek's, .

This is what my brother wore last year hunting this same area and he was satisfied.

Last edited by country_20boy; 04/09/18.
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Tejano
work boots from companies like Red Wing and Chippewa will serve well. Good socks and then gators for wet or snowy conditions and you are all set. Funny thing about African PHs is how many hunt in sandals and heaven forbid even Crocs.

I actually have a pair of Red Wing work boots that are in good shape I am considering taking as a spare. My only hesitation is that they are steel toe and heavy, but they are comfortable. I've worn them for 10 hour days walking on railroad tracks with no problems.

I'm dang sure not wearing crocs or sandals!!

Last edited by country_20boy; 04/09/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For the last 30 years, I have bought all of my hunting boots (three pairs, total) from REI: two pairs of Vasques, and one pair of Asolos. When hunting in snow, I add gaiters. Since I canceled my membership at REI a few weeks ago, I will get my next pair (probably Lowes) from the Summit Hut over in Tucson. At my age, I think that I need a little more ankle support and I like the Lowes that I have tried on. I am sure that they will be the last pair that I will need to buy. frown

Last edited by mudhen; 04/09/18.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am a cheap bastid......

Hi- Tech altitude......$80.00

Ozark trail. You can get these light weight ultra warm boots on clearance in the spring at wall mart...usually for about $15.00

They last me about 8 to 24 months.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I’m a huge fan of Cabelas Miendl boots and have hunted most of the western states with these in mild weather. For harsher conditions, I go straight to the Schnees pac boots.

W
wwy Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I've used a bunch of different brands. I think my favorite are Scarpa. Most recently, the Scarpa evolution. The current pair is going over three years with nearly daily wear for work and hard use hunting, hiking, etc.. I haven't had any other brands go close to that long without major faults or flaws. They are incredibly durable, comfortable for me, and have remained incredibly water resistant. Combined with a set of OR gaiters they pretty much work year round for me. I liked the Asolo boots pretty well too, but had problems with the toes coming apart and the boot shrinking so much after thorough soaking and drying that I couldn't wear them.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
My favorites are Crispi (brand) Wild (model).

They are all leather and unbelievably comfortable.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by vapodog
The worst thing that can happen is sore feet.....buy something that "fits" day one.....wear them a month before you go hunting to insure they won't cause sore feet.

The next worse thing is COLD feet.....and that usually happens when your feet get wet. Get tem high enough to keep out snow and find them with Gore tex.....I like wool socks for insulation but thinsulate to some degree isn't at all a bad thing.

The comment about cactus pokes is interesting as I've never encountered it.......and I've hunted the west quite a bit.

Four more things
1. Good traction tread on the bottom
2. Very stiff ...the boot should be nearly unbendable in your hands
3. Light weight....a major league plus
4. sturdy hook to lace up

Oh....yea....if it says Herters.....don't even try them on........they're expensive even if they are free!!!!!

I know you said you don't want to spend $400.....but don't get frugal here.....It just might be more important to have good footwear than to have a good rifle!

I pretty much agree with everything that vapodog posted except his item #2 and the last sentence.

For quite a few years I hunted Bighorn sheep in Montana's Unlimited tag units. These units are mostly in the Wilderness areas north of Yellowstone Park. One year I wore a pair of practically unbendable Vasque boots that I had had for quite a wile and they were well broken in. By the end of the second day both of my feet were bloodied with blisters on top of blisters, and I was in pain with every step. I finished the hunt with the tennis shoes that I had brought for camp shoes, and as soon as I got home those Vasque boots went in the trash. Very stiff boots may be ok for technical rock climbing, but IMO they do not belong in hunting fields. Your feet naturally bend with every step. If your boots are too stiff to bend, they will rub and cut into your feet.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just got a pair of hi techs .....big five sports.....$59.00 .

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wyoming260
Not Central Montana , but here in North Central Wyoming I have worn Keen sandals, sneakers , my Kenetreks and insulated pack boots in the same week antelope hunting in early October. Plan for Mud snow , hot dry and cactus. I guess what I am saying is bring a couple of options and do not worry to much on a specific pair....

This is my approach to it also. I find that as the arch in my foot slowly collapses over the years I need to change it up pretty often.
It depends a lot on the plan for the day. On steep terrain I like something with a stiff aggressive rubber tread like Vibram. I've been using Irish Setter Elk Trackers recently and have been happy with those.
LaCrosse Grange is a really comfortable boot for water, mud, and snow - like a rubber moccasin really. They seem to be great for keeping the odor factor real low and don't absorb odors from what you might step in.
For days with long distances ahead the lightweight hikers from Salomon, Danner, Oboz, Vasque, have all been good.

Bringing a thin moisture wicking sock and a thick padded sock each day allows you to do a lot more with any boot. Lotta times one pair or the other or both will really help after several hours into a hike.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I really do not prefer stiff boots. Ankle support, yes. Stiff sole, no. Never.

Very happy with my Salomons.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by country_20boy
[quote=Tejano] My only hesitation is that they are steel toe and heavy, but they are comfortable. I've worn them for 10 hour days walking on railroad tracks with no problems.

I'm dang sure not wearing crocs or sandals!!

Steel toes are a cold sink in colder weather and my feet jamb up in them on steep up hill or down. But if they are comfortable for you go with them at least as a back up.

I will say it again after owning several pairs of high end boots I think these are a best buy at least in an old school but very well made boot. https://jonesestablishment.online/P...9m_jC2gIVUrnACh1uCQLYEAQYASABEgKlzvD_BwE

They can be resoled and if you add good insoles they compare favorably with Lowa, Vasque and others. Treat the lower portion with bees wax and the upper with Obenaufs and then get some Mt. Research Gaiters and you will be set. You could even get insulated over boots/gaiters and be good for cold weather too. Get them a half or even full size larger than your street shoes and add insoles for warm weather. Not a bad idea to order two sizes and some places like Sierra Trading Post will pay for the return shipping of the pair that didn't fit as well

Don't write off the Crocs. I personally don't own a pair but for lounging around camp and quick nature calls they are great. My latest is a pair of UGGs for the same functions in cold weather and my self identity can stand up to the Metro Sexual implications in the name of comfort and practicality.

Originally Posted by Angus1895
Just got a pair of hi techs .....big five sports.....$59.00 .
These are very good for the price but don't hold up as well as some others nor should they as the "others" are ten times the price.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like Danner all leather boots and have a 400 gram insulation/ gortex pair for elk hunting.

living the good life every day
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (Amos63, 7mm_Loco, AnthonyB, 338Rules, 11 invisible), 1,501 guests, and 852 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,083
Posts18,501,668
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.