Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Most of what I've read about canning meat has folks putting the tougher cuts of meat into jars raw covering with liquid and pressure canning. When I butcher I throw most of the bones into a stock pot to cook the meat and tendons off and make soup.

Is there any reason I shouldn't can the soup starter?

Is there a reason that I shouldn't cook the bones down in a pressure canner?

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
If you are talking about canning venison then I think you setting yourself up for failure, we "can" good clean pieces of meat, tallow free neatly trimmed and free of tendons, and we certainly don't add liquid. A simple teaspoon of salt is all that goes into the jars.
As for tough and less quality meats all gets run through the meat grinder twice and then vacuum packed in premade burgers and frozen.
The better the quality of the meat that you put into the jars, the better the quality you will get out of the jars.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't intentional put tendons in a jar.
We don't worry about much silvers kin and the little gristle pieces on a piece of meat.
Just like pot roast, the long cooking process softens these pieces and makes them edible.
Trim the easy fat, the rest cooks out and floats on top. Skim when you open the jar.
We just add some salt, no water. Some add bouillon, be OK I guess, we dont.
Some add other flavors, OK if you are sure on final use, limits that though.

Canning broth, my mom did that when we were kids, no idea what would be wrong with pressure cooker.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Searing the chunks before canning improves the flavor significantly! No reason not to save bone broth, but why not just freeze it in zip-locks?

For years I trimmed tendons scrupulously... not any more. I also can the toughest meat and grind only good clean meat from reasonable cuts. Really tough stuff requires grinding too fine for my tastes.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Searing the chunks before canning improves the flavor significantly! No reason not to save bone broth, but why not just freeze it in zip-locks?

For years I trimmed tendons scrupulously... not any more. I also can the toughest meat and grind only good clean meat from reasonable cuts. Really tough stuff requires grinding too fine for my tastes.

That's how I've gone too. The nice thing about cooking down the bones is that you don't have to worry about getting the meat off of the joints. I just cook it off.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I can everything, backstraps and all. I've browned it, and packed it raw,couldn't tell any difference. Clean your meat up good, no fat, sinew, tendon etc. Do put garlic cloves in it, jalapeno, taco seasoning, sometimes momma put tomato juice in makes good soups and pot pies.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can venison all the time and yes I add water. 1/4 of a onion1 beef boulon cube and can.

Last edited by srwshooter; 04/10/18.
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I lived in northern British Columbia, everyone that hunted canned meat. Mostly because of the lack of freezer space. When they canned moose, they always put in the granulated beef bouillon. Along with other herbs and spices. One family I know in the Vanderhoof area would can up to 300 chickens a year.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Every summer I can chicken and tuna, along with pickles asparagus, marinara sauce salmon, smoked salmon etc. that’s what I do, I drink beer and can things.... great hobby

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Every time you add some store bought flavoring to the meat that you killed and cleaned you are adding everything china added to our stuff!
I will add salt , thank you !

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Judman
I can everything, backstraps and all. I've browned it, and packed it raw,couldn't tell any difference. Clean your meat up good, no fat, sinew, tendon etc. Do put garlic cloves in it, jalapeno, taco seasoning, sometimes momma put tomato juice in makes good soups and pot pies.

Same for me but I only add canning salt.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I plan to can a bunch of the water buffalo I just killed with my bow. I have been canning venison for decades. Its wonderful and so easy to do..

Member Wisconsin Bowhunters Assc, Wisconsin Traditional archers, Pope and Young, Asbhy 100,
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I add a little bit of salt & a small wedge of onion, no water, it makes it's own juices.

Dick

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (257 roberts, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 2500HD, 1badf350, 1936M71, 59 invisible), 2,432 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,441
Posts18,489,489
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.