Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The current thread on the favorite part of deer hunting inspired me to think: what is my least favorite part of the season.

Top(or bottom) of the list for me is filling the last tag, at least most years.

It's usually the last weekend. I've usually already taken my buck. It's cold. I'm worn out. It's pretty much a foregone conclusion and the question usually is down to which one of the doe is going in the freezer. I've been watching these ladies since spring. Now I'm sitting there with my binos playing Eeenie-Meanie-Minie-Moe. By this time, the walk out to the blind has become routine. By this time, I've already read the best military history I'm going to read for the year and I'm now wading through some turgid journal compiled by somebody's war college waiting for the herd to show up. The fun's gone. It's time to go home.

The sun is behind the trees. The temperature is starting to drop. I zip up my coat and put my book down.

"Okay, ladies! Who wants to be chili?"

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Our state got rid of the least favorite parts of deer hunting. Tagging and taking the deer for a useless drive so some teenaged girl could slap a tag on it at some distant gas station have been eliminated. Now we just register them over the phone or online. Other than that, the least favorite part of deer hunting is putting a clean and unused arrow back in the quiver at the end of the day's hunt.

Member Wisconsin Bowhunters Assc, Wisconsin Traditional archers, Pope and Young, Asbhy 100,
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When everyone leaves camp.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Killing a Deer. It means I have to have everything packed up and go home. Then have to wait a year to repeat

Last edited by Oldelkhunter; 04/10/18.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Lobbyist like "Sharp Things" trying to dictate how others should hunt because their way is the only right way. Taking hunters, no matter their legal methods, out of the seasons so their hunt is how that want it.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
December 16th.

Season finished yesterday !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Putting all my cshit up when I get back home!!!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
For me the worst part is early season heat. Where I live in SW Oregon, regular deer season runs from either the first Saturday in October or the last Saturday in September through the first Friday in November. We can hit 100 or so up 'til mid October. There's no way to hang meat at 100 degrees. Usually I don't hunt regular season 'til the last week unless I make the drive toward the coast where it may be cooler and fall rain may have already arrived. Otherwise I scout, hike, fish a little, try a last-of-the-season backpacking trip, or something like that. This is why I apply for the late (mid November - first weekend of December) muzzleloader-only hunt. It's about a 1 year in 3 draw with our preference point system. Lot cooler. It can still be into the 60 and 70s during the day but mid-upper 40s are more common and snow is not infrequent.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
While deer check ins could be inconvenient, they could also be a good time. Esp opening weekend of gun.
Wood stove, coffee/sandwiches.........hanging out, seeing what buddies, associates and strangers brought in.
Good natured ribbing for the regs.

Social aspect............a mini version of deer camp, temporary..............has been lost.

It also means that we don't have to be around some friggin A hole know it all. Not sure if that was worth it.
If I lived in Wisconsin it would be.

Last edited by hookeye; 04/10/18.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
What do I hate about deer hunting?

Having to listen to it before I can take vacation.

Retards think they know it all and can't shut up about it.
Got one at work, uses the cheapest gear..........thinks he's some hunting celebrity.
Just another clueless redneck.

Junk science and inflated ego....wonderful combination.

Never seen him at any bow or gun shoots.........hmmmmmmmmmmm

Last edited by hookeye; 04/10/18.
IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I would rather talk hunting with a nobody anytime than hear political bs from anybody. Or about their golf handicap, or their new starbucks favorite, or their gas mileage hybrid car, or .........

Least favorite part of deer hunting? Hoping the meth heads leave the camp alone during the off season.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jealousy spewed concerning other's success(es) - be it via mouth or fingers on a keyboard.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Deer hunters

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Hunting in September when it's over 80*. You have to deal with flying insects and ticks on the deer and bot fly larvae in the deer. If you kill one, you need to get it quartered up ASAP and get it in the fridge. I usually don't get out there until October when it starts cooling off a little.

Bow hunting in late January. All of the ruts are over, the bucks have lost their horns, and the deer don't move very much or very far. Plus, it's usually cold as a witch's tit. I still love to go out and sit, but it's slow and frustrating.

Then I hate it when I've got to pack up my stuff and put it away for 9 months.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The drag. Definitely the drag. frown

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wet feet, wet butt. wet anything.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
When your after a Buck, you get to know Him, then kill him! Im glad I took Him but sad that its over!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Waiting for it to start!

Arcus Venator
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by skeen
The drag. Definitely the drag. frown

I can agree with this after this past season. I thought I was gonna die dragging that buck out of a ravine by myself to where I could get at it with my truck. I decided then and there, it's time to take some steps to get back in shape. Some of us don't realize how out of shape we get. (Working in an office doesn't help by any means)

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Closing up the camp in Pa. and heading out on the long drive back to Minnesota. So hard to leave my old stomping grounds knowing it will be a long time before I get back on the mountain again.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

61 members (Anaconda, 10Glocks, 907brass, Algotguns, Akhutr, 9 invisible), 1,400 guests, and 825 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,927
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.