Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I have a #4 Mk I Enfield that's been rebarreled to a .35/.303 Imp. The case is pretty well maxed out to give as much case capacity as possible, with a caliber length neck. I don't intend to load the old warhorse action at all hot, and want to keep pressures in the 40-42K CUP range. 44K CUP would be my considered max, but lacking a pressure gun, I'll keep loads as close to the lower level, judging by velocity produced, and comparing it to other calibers like the .356 Win. This should do for our smallish southern whitetails pretty nicely, I think, with jacketed or cast bullets.

I want to restock it and add a low scope. I'll have to make the scope mount, and plan to grind/file off the "ears" that form the stripper clip guide and that provide a mount base for the fold down ladder/peep sight. That'll be a job, but when you want something bad enough, there's always a way.

My problem is the stock. I want to make this into a very nice, stylish sporter, that any stiff upper lipped old Brit might have been proud to carry in Africa back in the 19 teens, 20's and 30's. I want it to reflect a degree at least of British styling as a sporter. My problem is, none of the major semi-finished stock suppliers seem to inlet for the #4 Mk I any more. Great American Gunstocks used to, and had some VERY nice stock designs for these old warhorses. When they sold out to Walnut Grove, however, W. G. hasn't chosen to continue offering inletting for these very good old guns.

Does anyone know where I can get a really nicely styled sporter stock, preferably in the British style (at least generally) today? I simply don't know where else to look, and I've googled the options until I've simplly grown tired of it. And I'm usually a pretty determined guy! Stuff like this, it seems, always needs someone with the unique knowledge of rare (and getting rarer) commodities. Thanks to anyone who can help me with this lil' problem.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Go to Boyds
https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product-configurator/

Select
British Lee

Select
Enfield #4 mki

Select
magazine feed military barrel

Select
Field design stock
or
forend

Select
Walnut
or
x Walnut
x x walnut buttstock

$133.46

---------------------------------
20 years ago Boyd's was really irritating me with high pressure sales on the phone and the utility grade walnut they shipped.
But by 2015 I was getting great value from their laminated pro varmint stocks.
In 2017 I was happy with the Walnut they shipped as seen in the pro varmint shaped stock I put on a Sav 12FVSS I rebarreled to 250 Sav.
Based on the anecdotes of my life, at this time I value Boyds as a supplier.

[Linked Image]

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks Clark. FWIW, I've always gotten very good wood selection from Richards Micro Fit. I also like their stock designs,particularly their "Old Classic." I have a stock for a pre-64 M-70 on order now. 2X fancy English walnut. I was a little put off by Boyds for a number of reasons, though I'm sure they make perfectly servicable stocks. I've heard complaints about their wood grading before.

If I order one from Boyd's, I'll usually plan to order one grade above what I really want, and that way, I figure I'm likely to get something similar to what I have in mind. I wish I had a large amt. of $$$$ to sink into an "investment." I believe I'd put a significant amount of it into very nicely figured walnut, and I can't imagine ever losing money on the deal. If anyone wants a really nicely figured stock, I believe now's the time to pull the trigger on that. We just aren't growing really nice trees any more. And what there are have MANY wanting the wood from them, which has been raising prices for decades now. And FWIW, I've never heard anyone say "I wish I'd gone with a cheaper grade of wood," but I HAVE heard many say "I wish I'd gone ahead and gotten a higher grade of wood." I may be a dumb redneck, but ..... how can one NOT learn a lesson from this????

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

94 members (7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 44automag, 450yukon, 21 invisible), 1,448 guests, and 1,027 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,211
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.