Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
So,

Who's had the most experience with these and what are your thoughts? Thinking seriously about one in a 3-15x44 illuminated firedot. Mainly interested in low light performance and tracking.

How's it go at dusk compared to say a Zeiss Conquest or Swarovski Z5?

You only live once.
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Have 2, a 1-5 and a 2-10. Both CDS Firedot. No issues at all yet, owned them about a year now. I do not twist turrents much. Also have 2 Zeiss Conquest scopes to compare since you specifically mentioned them. The VX-5 scopes are the clearest and brightest scopes I own. I have compared them at dusk and dawn to the better scopes I own and no that list does not include super high end Swarovski, Scmidt & Bender, Nightforce or Zeiss Diavari. But it does include Bushnell 4200's, Nikon Monarch's, Leupold VX-3's and the already mentioned Zeiss Conquest's.

Have owned Leupold scopes for over 40 years. The only problems I have had in that time was an ocular lens on a Vari X 3 came loose and a power ring on a LPS that became very hard to twist. Both issues were taken care of promptly and to my satisfaction by the Leupold lifetime warranty. Neither caused an issue during a hunt.

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mine's an amzing scope to look through. Given time, it may turn out to be a good one as well.

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Mine's an amzing scope to look through. Given time, it may turn out to be a good one as well.

Have you dropped it on a concrete floor from a 10 foot step ladder or driven over it with your truck?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If you dont need the ZL or Illuminated Reticle this is a pretty good deal on the 2-10. Im thinking about ordering to try them out.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F202235710438

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Have you dropped it on a concrete floor from a 10 foot step ladder or driven over it with your truck?

No, and since that would require me to climb up on my roof in the first case and push my poor old truck over it in the second, I'll just have to content myself with shooting a bunch of .308s from the rifle it's on.

Sorry to let you down.

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

No, and since that would require me to climb up on my roof in the first case and push my poor old truck over it in the second, I'll just have to content myself with shooting a bunch of .308s from the rifle it's on.

Sorry to let you down.

Doesn't sound like you have tested it to 24hour standards grin

Thinking one would look good on my T3x 30-06 VX-5HD 3-15x44mm CDS-ZL2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Would this model be an improvement over the VX-6? I bought a copule of the VX-6 2-12x42mm Matte Duplex CDS scopes when Cabelas had a deal on them about a year ago.

PASS IT ON!
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Sounds good. I had a S&B zenith on the rifle previously which was exceptional, but was just way too heavy. Willing to compromise a bit on glass quality, but want to hear some opinions before i make the purchase.

You only live once.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by C_ROY
Would this model be an improvement over the VX-6? I bought a copule of the VX-6 2-12x42mm Matte Duplex CDS scopes when Cabelas had a deal on them about a year ago.

From what I have heard the VX5 is the same as the VX6. They have the same glass and internals. I believe the only difference is the VX5 has less bells and whistles.

IC B3

N
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
N
I think the VX-6 had a little closer spaced PLEX opening if I remember right.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought one a few months ago with the Fire Dot Duplex for my late night moose hunts and the CDS feature. I will find out first hand how it does with dialing as soon as this Alaskan weather warms up. If it and a couple VXi CDS capable scopes I have prove to dial reliably I will get a VX5 3-15 for a unfired Legendary Arms Works .300 Win. Mag. I have. I will also go with the Wind Plex reticle and wish I had on the 2-10 I put on my .338 Winny.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
I bought one a few months ago with the Fire Dot Duplex for my late night moose hunts and the CDS feature. I will find out first hand how it does with dialing as soon as this Alaskan weather warms up. If it and a couple VXi CDS capable scopes I have prove to dial reliably I will get a VX5 3-15 for a unfired Legendary Arms Works .300 Win. Mag. I have. I will also go with the Wind Plex reticle and wish I had on the 2-10 I put on my .338 Winny.

Wish you luck with your Legendary Arms Rifle, I have one in .308 Win. shoots great. I put a NF NXS 2.5-10X42 MOAR with Digillume Ret. On it.
So far everything is working great.

Take care

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I liked the features of the 3-15x44 illuminated firedot duplex enough to get three of them.
I do wish the duplex was the one they had on the website and the box they came in. It is wide and thin. I'm hoping that the illumination will make up for this shortcoming in bad light.
But I can't find any scope that has everything I want, and this is as close as I can get for now.
So far so good with tracking, but time and weather has kept me from really testing them out.
I did get a 3-15 SWFA SS to do the discount double check on them.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
I liked the features of the 3-15x44 illuminated firedot duplex enough to get three of them.
I do wish the duplex was the one they had on the website and the box they came in. It is wide and thin. I'm hoping that the illumination will make up for this shortcoming in bad light.
But I can't find any scope that has everything I want, and this is as close as I can get for now.
So far so good with tracking, but time and weather has kept me from really testing them out.
I did get a 3-15 SWFA SS to do the discount double check on them.

How did you test the tracking?

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

How did you test the tracking?

Sighting them in and seeing if they hit the target at the ranges I feel comfortable shooting in the field. With the time I had that was out to 600 yards. Sorry, no box or tall tests yet.
Then I went hunting.
Since then just limited load development, weather permitting. And it hasn't been permitting much lately.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I really like the features, weight and price on the VX5 HD. Has anyone had the chance to really test the tracking on theirs? thanks Jim

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If my CDS Leupolds work out for dialing/tracking I will get a 3-15 with the Impact 29 reticle for my 5.56 Creed AR.

I asked Leupold about some other reticle options for my VX5 2-10 and they have nothing "custom" to offer. Speaking of the Custom Shop, I am beginning to think they may never get that web page up and running. It used to be easy to navigate, not any more.

What I want for Alaska is a medium thick illuminated German #4 with mildot reticle hash marks out to 800 yards and CDS capability. Other wise I want to point and shoot and use the scopes reticle for hold over.

I would be ok with the Illuminated T-MOA they offer on their VX6 2-12 scope. Even their Illuminated B&C reticle is better then any thing in the 2-10 VX5 line. But they choose not to offer it for the VX5 line.

Of course if the CDS scopes I have dial correctly for elevation who needs hash marks and complicated reticles, right?

Last edited by 1Akshooter; 04/10/18.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Test them no, use them yes. I have a 2-10 and a 3-15. Last season I used the 3-15 and dialed to shoot a cow elk at 677 yards and back to zero perfect at the range. A week later shot a Mule Deer running uphill at 417 using holdover. Back at the range still perfect zero. Pics in long range hunting forum.

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

🤣😂🤣 “Bulletproof” to Oldelk means literally shooting a round at Your Leupold to see if it bounces off...Failed! 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (16penny, 1234, 10gaugeman, 153, 160user, 10Glocks, 50 invisible), 2,343 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,531
Posts18,472,723
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.