Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
[quote=Clarkm]Given enough time and adjustment,excluding a faulty scope from the start,the Nightforce will do what a scope is intended to do better,scopes being aiming devices,not viewing devices.

For me a scope is definitely a viewing device. After I find something with either the binoculars or unaided eyes I verify with the scope. There's no way my 7X35 binos can compare with my 4 1/2-30X50 for final analyses. And I discovered by experience if I see a game animal I don't check it with the binos. I check it with the scope. Wild animals don't always stand around while I play with my optics.

By the way I owned three Leupolds One died and was replaced by Leupold. The other I sold because it was no better than my Bushnell 6500 for 2/3 the money.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[align:center][/align]
Originally Posted by Clarkm
I shot a buck in 2016 with a NightForce 2.5-10x42mm NXS Illuminated Compact Riflescope w/ ZeroStop and MOAR Reticle C458 Sold by: OpticsPlanet, Inc $1,892.00
On a 1953 Win M70 with Shilen Select match in 25-06 with Bansner stock

I shot a buck in 2017 with a Leupold VX-6HD 3-18x44mm CDS-ZL2 FireDot Duplex 171565 Sold by: OpticsPlanet, Inc $1,499.00
On a 1965 Rem700 with Lilja barrel in 7mmRemMag with Brown Precision stock

They are approximately the same price, the Leupold is just a much better scope than the NXS.

LOL

Samples of one tell almost nothing about how well a scope functions...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ringman
[quote=Clarkm]Given enough time and adjustment,excluding a faulty scope from the start,the Nightforce will do what a scope is intended to do better,scopes being aiming devices,not viewing devices.

For me a scope is definitely a viewing device. After I find something with either the binoculars or unaided eyes I verify with the scope. There's no way my 7X35 binos can compare with my 4 1/2-30X50 for final analyses. And I discovered by experience if I see a game animal I don't check it with the binos. I check it with the scope. Wild animals don't always stand around while I play with my optics.

By the way I owned three Leupolds One died and was replaced by Leupold. The other I sold because it was no better than my Bushnell 6500 for 2/3 the money.

Probably should prepare for incoming.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shot a buck in 2016 with a NightForce 2.5-10x42mm NXS Illuminated Compact Riflescope w/ ZeroStop and MOAR Reticle C458 Sold by: OpticsPlanet, Inc $1,892.00

I shot a buck in 2017 with a Leupold VX-6HD 3-18x44mm CDS-ZL2 FireDot Duplex 171565 Sold by: OpticsPlanet, Inc $1,499.00

They are approximately the same price, the Leupold is just a much better scope than the NXS.

I do like the glass,reticle and illumination better in the Leupold. I don't think that makes it a better scope. I would be willing to bet quite a bit of money that if you were to start dialing back and forth a good bit on every shot the Leupold would die way before the Nightforce did.

Even without dialing, I would almost guarantee that the NF will hold zero for more rounds than the Leup will...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
I've used the hammer before....

It was a leupold that wouldn't hold zero. It got the sledge hammer. I put it on an anvil first. That was the key.

LOL! That’s a solid strategy! Pun intended grin

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

I'm not at all saying that scopes shouldn't have great glass or that they aren't useful sometimes in the way you describe. I do however think that as a whole hunters evaluate scopes backwards. The first thing ever mentioned about scopes is the view and glass quality. We would be much better served if our first thought was about a scope's mechanical integrity and accuracy of mechanics,and the glass quality second.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

LOL

Jordan,
You seem to be a smart guy. I had to sight in both rifles after I built them. The Leupold killed 7 deer last year.
That is firing 50 rounds, touching the knob 10 times, and I am done with the rifle, but left with an impression as to how well the build worked.

I have compiled a list of 10 ways the Rem 700 is inferior to the Win M70 and M98 Mauser.
These differences may be important sending a soldier off to a 4 year war, but for a ride in a solid gun case with foam padding, and taken out in nice October weather with nice clean ammo, handled carefully to shoot deer by an old retired man.... the Rem 700 flimsy piece of junk in good enough for that wimpy task.
Likewise the Trijicon TARS does what my Leupold does, but the Leupold costs half as much, weighs half as much, and has a wider zoom range.
The big heavy one might be better for constant hard use.
I know which is better for a few days of light hunting per year.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
So stupid

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

I'm not at all saying that scopes shouldn't have great glass or that they aren't useful sometimes in the way you describe. I do however think that as a whole hunters evaluate scopes backwards. The first thing ever mentioned about scopes is the view and glass quality. We would be much better served if our first thought was about a scope's mechanical integrity and accuracy of mechanics,and the glass quality second.

I even mount my scope backwards. It’s too easy the right way forward.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by reivertom
I guess my whole life is a lie.......I have a Leupold on a Remington 700, 30-06, and don't even own a 6.5 Creedmore. :^) I might as well jump off a bridge. Thanks for all the input.......I learned a lot. It looks like a Ford/Chevy debate to me.

Good luck killing anything with that...
There was a time that a 700 BDL in .30-06 with core loct's and a Leupold 3-9 in windage adjustable bases was coveted.
Growing up, 1 out of 5 guys was carrying a surplus Enfield. 303 British ammo sold in every country store around here.

I know.....All I can figure is that deer have evolved like bacteria and have become immune to many of the old standard deer rounds like bacteria have to some antibiotics.......I have a 30-30 (with a 1x4x20 Leupold) and I'm afraid to even use it for squirrels for fear of wounding one and having it turn on me.

Last edited by reivertom; 04/10/18.
IC B3

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Why do i have a disdain for Leupold. For the same reasons as everyone else. They failed to be a game changer, Instead the hype of owning one turned into disappointment when I actually owned one.

Growing up in the country Leupold is often seen and talked about as this amazing brand. Here, among rednecks, its held above most others. "Get a Leupold you wont regret it" Well soon after I got a VX-2 I regretted it. I couldn't help but wonder why this expensive scope was not amazing. I was led to believe the Leupold brand was king of the hill. How disappointed I would become. Through the last 15 years I have had multiple Leupold items, or purchased them for relatives. Not one of these items made me think this brand was amazing. It was not revolutionary. It was one thing though... Overpriced.

Leupold sat on its laurels for too long and they have since been passed up. I have a Leupold Kenai Spotting scope kit. When i purchased it a few years ago around $1K I was like "OK I'm getting into something that will work and take care of me for a while". Yeah... NO!

The tripod main shaft wobbles terribly. The mounts that attach to the scope and tripod all are loose to the point that every time i touch the scope or adjust it I have to keep messing with it (bounces all over). This scope kit has really been the last straw I have for them. Yeah, I've mainly purchased their sub-$1k items but I've been unimpressed at every point in the road. I'm to the point I just laugh at people who talk about nice their Leupold scopes.

They are nothing special. They are just overpriced and over-hyped.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
A Swaro spotter would be useless on that piece of junk tripod setup you're using.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JGRaider
A Swaro spotter would be useless on that piece of junk tripod setup you're using.

+1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

LOL

Jordan,
You seem to be a smart guy. I had to sight in both rifles after I built them. The Leupold killed 7 deer last year.
That is firing 50 rounds, touching the knob 10 times, and I am done with the rifle, but left with an impression as to how well the build worked.

I have compiled a list of 10 ways the Rem 700 is inferior to the Win M70 and M98 Mauser.
These differences may be important sending a soldier off to a 4 year war, but for a ride in a solid gun case with foam padding, and taken out in nice October weather with nice clean ammo, handled carefully to shoot deer by an old retired man.... the Rem 700 flimsy piece of junk in good enough for that wimpy task.
Likewise the Trijicon TARS does what my Leupold does, but the Leupold costs half as much, weighs half as much, and has a wider zoom range.

Great post, but send me your wallet. You'll be shortly executed for blaspheming against the 700, NF scopes and SWFA!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

LOL

Jordan,

For a guy that hunts a rifle a few days and then moves on to another rifle, anything will work.

Fifty shots and ten ‘touches’ of the elevation turret says nothing about how a scope functions mechanically. Dialing the knob 10 times could easily have resulted in 10 erratic adjustments. Even a Barska or BSA will hold up for 50 rounds of 7RM well enough to hit a deer at 100 yards. So again I say, that sample size says nearly nothing about how well a scope actually works, and to claim said scope, which is known for mechanical issues, is indisputably better than a scope known to work correctly, is absurd IMO.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jordan,
How many hours have you go with the type of turret on a Leupold VX-6 HD?

[Linked Image]

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I
Originally Posted by magtech
Why do i have a disdain for Leupold. For the same reasons as everyone else. They failed to be a game changer, Instead the hype of owning one turned into disappointment when I actually owned one.

Growing up in the country Leupold is often seen and talked about as this amazing brand. Here, among rednecks, its held above most others. "Get a Leupold you wont regret it" Well soon after I got a VX-2 I regretted it. I couldn't help but wonder why this expensive scope was not amazing. I was led to believe the Leupold brand was king of the hill. How disappointed I would become. Through the last 15 years I have had multiple Leupold items, or purchased them for relatives. Not one of these items made me think this brand was amazing. It was not revolutionary. It was one thing though... Overpriced.

Leupold sat on its laurels for too long and they have since been passed up. I have a Leupold Kenai Spotting scope kit. When i purchased it a few years ago around $1K I was like "OK I'm getting into something that will work and take care of me for a while". Yeah... NO!

The tripod main shaft wobbles terribly. The mounts that attach to the scope and tripod all are loose to the point that every time i touch the scope or adjust it I have to keep messing with it (bounces all over). This scope kit has really been the last straw I have for them. Yeah, I've mainly purchased their sub-$1k items but I've been unimpressed at every point in the road. I'm to the point I just laugh at people who talk about nice their Leupold scopes.

They are nothing special. They are just overpriced and over-hyped.

It may be that I have been accused of being a "red neck" by certain people that think they have an obligation to do such things, but I've never been called an Ass Hole because I want to feel good about myself by calling other people names. Guess what?...If you are on a forum like this one, arguing about rifle scopes.........You might be a "Red Neck" too......

Last edited by reivertom; 04/11/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jordan,
How many hours have you go with the type of turret on a Leupold VX-6 HD?

Enough to know that they don't hold zero, track, or return to zero as well as an NXS. But like yours, my sample size of scopes is limited. When I combine my own experience with that of people I trust, as well as other reports on this very forum, it's easy for most anyone to see that the VX-6HD already has a lot higher incidence of reported mechanical failure than the NXS does. I was considering asking you the same question you asked me; except I'd ask how many hours/shots you've got actually shooting with said scope. But I won't. I'm not trying to make this personal by calling you out.

I get it that you like to build new rifles constantly, use them a little bit, and then move on to the next build. Or so it seems (if I'm wrong, feel free to correct me). If that's the case, there's nothing wrong with it. Some guys enjoy buying and selling/collecting/building rifles more than shooting them. In that kind of application with very little actual use, whatever scope is nicest to look through, has the most favourable features, etc, is "best". But for the guy that shoots his rifles a lot, and shoots with each of his scopes a lot, "best" is a scope that functions as designed and expected, consistently and reliably.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mayby you're not using them correctly?
The guys over in the lever action section all love them

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
I've used the hammer before....

It was a leupold that wouldn't hold zero. It got the sledge hammer. I put it on an anvil first. That was the key.

Haha that’s good!! Grin

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

514 members (06hunter59, 1badf350, 204guy, 1Longbow, 1OntarioJim, 12344mag, 55 invisible), 2,374 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,307
Posts18,487,152
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.