Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've owned 3 7mm-08s. The first was a Remington Seven, blued, with the 18.5 inch barrel and wood stock. It didn't shoot great but it was ok with 140 grain Nosler solid base bullets. After a few years without one, I bought a SS Seven with the 20" barrel and synthetic stock, hogged the [bleep] out of the plastic to free-float the barrel, and taught it to shoot 120 grain Ballistic tips with Win 760 or 140 grain partitions with RL19. Both powders cause me some issues with bullets backing out of the cases while seating but other powders didn't shoot nearly as accurately. I killed some deer with it with the 140 partition. The last was a Remington 700 CDL-SF and it wouldn't shoot for shyte. I tried it in 3 different stocks, nada, couple different scopes, nada .. yech. Down the road.

If I were doing another 7mm-08, I'd try real hard to get the 150 grain partition to shoot well. It hasn't worked for me yet but no one bullet has worked in any two of the three, so it really doesn't say much that it hasn't yet.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I always felt 120-140 grain bullets worked best in my 7-08. I killed elk with the 140 and 150 NPT as well as 120 TTSX. No question in my mind I’d run 120 TTSX for a dedicated elk bullet. Never caught one and never had anything other than DRT with shoulders destroyed and a nice exit wound.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I am a little surprised that no one has mentioned the 150 grain Swift Scirocco. Even out my short barrel Ruger #1 RSI, it has proven to be a reliable killer of elk,pigs, and African plains game including kudu and blue wildebeest. Penetration has been such that I have yet to recover a spent bullet and internal damage has been impressive. I will be using this same bullets in my Model 70 Winchester in 7x57 if my health and finances allow a return trip to Africa. Porsche73

It ain't the way it used to be, but it will do.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think that most people that use the scirroco think that the bullet was designed for magnum calibers. It always seemed to me to be a super tough bullet was more than was necessary for a non magnum gun. Having said that I’m sure that it would still work fine out of a 7mm-08. They are extremely accurate out of my 7mm magnum.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
160 partition and other bullets of this weight range with towards the max end of H4350 (cci 200)have been extremely accurate, with shocking speed. Use Lapua brass or Lake City you purchased as unfired, turn the necks with great rewards.

I have had butkus for luck with barrels lighter than sporter weight in this caliber. A 22"-24" #4 contour is a whale of a package for this caliber, Wyatt's mag box on a Rem 700, throat out a tad to make room for some powder, call it done.

If you like the mono's, the 120g tipped tripple shock with IMR 4895, 9 1/2 is very, very fast and accurate, and may not stop in a good size bull. This 120g tipped tripple shock, jumped .050 is ungodly accurate in this case at 3000 fps or a tad faster.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by LarryfromBend
I wouldn't care for a mono bullet in a 7MM-08. Still feel they are more for the RUMs of the gun world than the slower calibers.

Cartridge, not caliber.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by JGRaider
That's an awesome pic.

And, he’s wearing Urban Camo, my favorite.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by country_20boy
I've read this entire thread twice now and it looks like basically any bullet that you can stuff in a 7mm-08 hull will work, if you can point it in the right direction.
I'm currently working up loads for 3 bullets and trying to decide for a cow elk / antelope hunt this fall.

Option 1 is a 120 TTSX that I'm loading with Big Game to 3150 fps. It shoots right at 1" and I've used it for several seasons on whitetails. I have no hesitation with this bullet, except that it kinda runs out of gas at about 400 yds and I'm confident shooting it to 500.

Option 2 is a 140 Accubond. I have not yet found a load that suits me accuracy wise and I'm pretty frustrated, but I'm going to keep trying cause I have a bunch of the bullets.

Option 3 is a 150 ELDX. I have shot some promising groups, but am not happy yet due to inconsistencies. Really just started load development, so I think it will get there with some work. Even if I never hunt with this one, I want to work up the load for long range plinking.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? Recommendations?

20boy,

A couple of years ago, my wife took a big bull (7x8) at a little over 400 yds using a 120 gr TTSX out of her 7mm-08AI with a MV of about 3050 fps. It was a good shot, but the bull walked uphill about 40 yds and took a while to expire. He didn't get away, but I believe at that distance, another bullet may have been more effective - ie, more destructive once hitting the animal. If I'd known she would have to make that long of a shot, I probably would have found a good 140 gr NAB load for her to shoot.

The TTSX still did the job, but I believe there are other options out there that may perform better at the longer ranges. Like you stated this one kind of runs out of gas at around 400 yds.

bludog

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by iddave
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by JP_Lucas
So a 140ttsx at 2850 would be a good selection?

Yes, and the 120 TTSX at 3000+ may be even better.

What Jordan said.

I watched my 12 yo son dump the biggest cow you've ever seen in your life with a 120 TTSX at 3000 out of a little Model 7.

Dave

Daughter #1 is petite and recoil sensitive. After reviewing the options we went with a 130g TTSX at 3045fps. If running a 7mm-08 it is likely the only difference would be weight - She'd probably be shooting a 120g TTSXs.

Although I got very inconsistent results with the original 'X' bullets and the TSX didn't inspire enough confidence to use them on game, we the tipped MRX came out I gave them a try and haven't looked back. Now we use them in almost every rifle, with accurate loads being easy to find. We have yet to recover one from antelope, deer or elk, whether shot broadside (antelope and elk) or lengthwise (a couple of mulies).

Often as not, game shot with the TTSX has dropped at the spot. More have dropped within a few feet or steps. None lost and no runners. Had an antelope go about 25 yards after being shot with a 110g TTSX from my Roberts, can't think of any other animal that went nearly that far.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 79inpa
I think that most people that use the scirroco think that the bullet was designed for magnum calibers. It always seemed to me to be a super tough bullet was more than was necessary for a non magnum gun. Having said that I’m sure that it would still work fine out of a 7mm-08. They are extremely accurate out of my 7mm magnum.

The original Scirocco bullets were, IMHO, too soft and expanded too much. The Scirocco II bullets seem to be better in this regard with more controlled expansion but accurate loads have been more difficult to find than with other bullets. While I still use them in my 6.5-06AI, I'm using them up and will likely go to a AB, LRAB or Barnes TTSX or LRX.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B3

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1234, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,511 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,078
Posts18,482,764
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.