Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I have known where there is a Winchester model 52 Sporter in a man's collection for close to thirty years. I see him about once a year or maybe every other year and always mention the Sporter. He always says no, he wants to keep it. Well the other day I was traveling in his part of the state and decided to stop by and say hello, and to my surprise he mentioned about it's time to sell the Sporter, so we talked. Here's the deal and I'm sitting on the fence because I, like a lot of other folks, feel the gun market is a little soft right now and he's asking, I feel is top dollar. What's your take on it? It's a Winchester 52C Sporter. In absolutely perfect 99% condition. Here's one thing that may discourage a few of you. It is a late "C" Sporter with the plastic butt plate and soldered on front sight ramp. No box comes with it, just the gun. I've handled it a couple of times and it didn't have the sling on it, but he says he has it. He's wants five grand for it. Go for it or do you think it's a little over priced? My problem is, will I ever have the opportunity to buy another one. He said no rush on an answer, gave me a couple of weeks to see if I want it and can come up with the loot. What are your opinions? Thanks in advance. RRM

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The C is the more highly desired by collectors because of the Miracle Motion trigger, at $5K the price is not a steal but neither is it over the moon. The plastic buttplate and the soldered front sight ramp do make it a little less desirable but not enough to bring a lower price. In the end only you can decide if you want to pay that much, keep in mind that rifles in 99% condition don't come along all that often. Many times rifles in that condition are in the hands of high end dealers that try to wring every penny out of them. Keep us posted on what you decide, pics are a must if you purchase. Good luck.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Rat Rod Mac
I have known where there is a Winchester model 52 Sporter in a man's collection for close to thirty years. I see him about once a year or maybe every other year and always mention the Sporter. He always says no, he wants to keep it. Well the other day I was traveling in his part of the state and decided to stop by and say hello, and to my surprise he mentioned about it's time to sell the Sporter, so we talked. Here's the deal and I'm sitting on the fence because I, like a lot of other folks, feel the gun market is a little soft right now and he's asking, I feel is top dollar. What's your take on it? It's a Winchester 52C Sporter. In absolutely perfect 99% condition. Here's one thing that may discourage a few of you. It is a late "C" Sporter with the plastic butt plate and soldered on front sight ramp. No box comes with it, just the gun. I've handled it a couple of times and it didn't have the sling on it, but he says he has it. He's wants five grand for it. Go for it or do you think it's a little over priced? My problem is, will I ever have the opportunity to buy another one. He said no rush on an answer, gave me a couple of weeks to see if I want it and can come up with the loot. What are your opinions? Thanks in advance. RRM

The market is never really "soft" for rare and/or highly collectable Winchesters in high condition. A 52c Sporter is on that list.

Even for a late "C"- if it's in near mint condition and all origional- $5,000 is a fair market value.
Many dealers would ask 6k or more for such a gun.

Cheapskates rarely get the good guns without many years of waiting ,watching and digging. Either way, in time and money you have to pay to get the good stuff in the end.

If you really want a 52c- don't be a cheapskate.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I’d buy the gun.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Rat Rod Mac: Beg your friend to have mercy on you regarding the price (try to get him to lower it!).
Whether he does so or not buy the Rifle.
They are NOT making any more of them!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rat Rod Mac
...I'm sitting on the fence because I, like a lot of other folks, feel the gun market is a little soft right now... RRM

Bullschit.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Just buy it. Its only money..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The Campfire cognicetti have spoken, now go and buy that rifle.

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Well I certainly appreciate all of your comments and suggestions. But boy that is a chunk of change for me. You fellows are going to push me into getting the check book out. LOL. I'll have to start mowing lawns again like I did as a kid. I was hoping for more like four to forty five hundred, but he's pretty firm on the price and even said that other guys know he has it, but has offered it to me first. Maybe that's a sales pitch, but if it is it's working. Once again thanks for all of your comments and suggestions. RRM

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Sometimes one just has to bite the bullet. Not out of line, and how many others have you seen lately? I have one I'm on the fence as well. 1922 with a bit of wear and a 1954 barrel, re-barreled in '54 by the factory. Comes with sights and sling. $750.. would be a bit of a drive, but have not seen many at a decent price.

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
You never pay too much for a highly collectible gun, sometimes you just buy too early. It might not go up in price quickly but it will go up.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
If you have the correct change ,buy the gun, I will give 5 K for a 99% 52C sporter... so he just wants what it will trade at, the last one I sold was for 5500.. I regret selling it, I think Ive owned 5, Im down to a Zanders 52 HB , I rather hunt with a 'R' but the gun you are looking at is the top of the food chain... best winpoor

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Geez WP, where u been?

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Molding and mildewing ...LOL , Still trading Winchesters and raising bulldogs, sold my Brahman cattle a while back. A collector in VA damn near cleaned me out of all my rare 70's.. best winpoor PS Im still chasing one of those two mod 70's special ordered in .218 BEE...

Last edited by winchesterpoor; 04/11/18.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Nice to see you are still around.

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

91 members (35, Akhutr, 10gaugemag, akrange, 16 invisible), 1,621 guests, and 872 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,941
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.