Print Thread
Hop To
A
Adams Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
I'm switching rifles to one of these two for elk out to 600 yards.

x-bolt pro 300 win mag has 26" light sporter fluted barrel and weighs in at 6lbs 9 oz bare rifle. Rifle balances very nice.

x-bolt pro long range 300 win mag has 26" heavy sporter fluted barrel and weighs in at 7lbs 8 oz bare rifle. Rifle is barrel heavy.

When just carrying the rifle in glassing scouting mode the rifle will be carried centered in the middle of my backpack which keeps weight on hips. When in hunting mode I'm putting it on my shoulder using a sling that will put some weight on hips and some on shoulder.

I'm not going to be using the muzzle break. So the heavier the better for this.

I'm planning on shooting out to 600 yards and I'm concerned about the barrel whip and accuracy on light sporter barrel.

Is that extra pound going to really add up at the end of the day considering how I'm carrying it 95% of the time?

GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I would say yes based on my experience. But the only one who can really answer that question is yourself because everyone perceives, has a different tolerance for, carrying weight depending on their condition, the pack they're using, terrain they're covering, elevation, and how many miles covered. Any extra weight gets magnified the longer you walk and how often you're walking up and down. You also have to consider that extra weight if you knock something down when the real work starts. I started hunting with a .300WM myself that weighed in ~6lbs 8ozs bare/ just under 8lbs ready to hunt. I had a local gunsmith install a brake because of the extreme amount of muzzle jump if you didn't firmly hold the forend and it pounded the shoulder after awhile. It has been a pleasure to shoot since, not to mention accurate and consistent. I carried it a couple of seasons hunting elk and took my first two cows with it before discovering much lighter rifles (in non-magnum calibers) and how much easier they are to carry; I haven't looked back since. I still use that 300WM when I don't anticipate walking a lot, but I go lighter now. In the end, accuracy being equal between your two rifles, I would go lighter based on my similar experiences.

We have enough youth, how about a fountain of SMART???
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Adams

Is that extra pound going to really add up at the end of the day considering how I'm carrying it 95% of the time?

If you're going hunting with your rifle in your pack 95% of the time, then go with the lighter one. You'll have no worries about accuracy. Or recoil, or any of those nasty side effects of shooting.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
While hunting the first shot is the one that really counts. A heavy barrel while stiffer does not necessarily mean better accuracy. It won't heat up as fast, so while at the range give it plenty of time to cool off between shots to show how good it shoots. And smokepole is right in his above statement

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
There are plenty of lightweight rifles capable of 600 yard shots on game the size of elk, "barrel whip" notwithstanding. The weight of the rifle isn't the weak link in that equation.

But whether an extra pound makes a difference is 100% a personal choice. And has more to do with the terrain, the distance, the weight of the pack, and the guy carrying it than any difference in accuracy an extra pound may or may not make.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

K
K
The balance on the Pro is hard to beat, I have 2 of them in 26 Nosler and 300WM. I do shoot a break on the 300 but have shot it without. The stock manages the recoil very well, and both guns shoot 1/2 moa with very little load development.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
We have several posters on here that are competent enough to take Elk at 600 yards and strong enough to carry the rifle they choose. Recoil tolerance and the ability to hump a load in the mountains are the logistic problems.

Shooting enough to take ethical shots on game at 600 yards w/ a 300 WM would, for me, be the practical problem.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1badf350, 160user, 222ND, 1lessdog, 55 invisible), 2,360 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,609
Posts18,511,675
Members74,008
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.