Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
Fraser Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I was trying out a load of 60.2 grains of Reloder 26 with a 150 grain Sierra Gameking in the 270 Winchester. The first, and only, shot fired registered 2975 fps on my chronograph but also blew the primer. There were no other signs of excess pressure except for the primer - even the velocity seems reasonable. As for the primer itself, it was still in place but I had leakage along the edge of it in one place. Is there anything that can cause this other than excess pressure?

"Hail to the King, Baby!"
Ash, Army of Darkness
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Winchester primer?

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
excess headspace, or causing the pressure if the bullet was seated into the lands, or loose primer pocket. just to name a few.

Last edited by lhead71; 04/12/18.

Enough already, just shoot it!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If the case has been reloaded several times, I would say loose primer pocket. Any history of issues before? Headspace, could be a bad primer, Winchester primers from a few years ago had a recall.

F
Fraser Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
It was in fact a Winchester primer....why do you ask? I haven't had problems before but I'm getting the impression that there is something I need to know about.

I hadn't considered headspace but I do have gauges so I will check that. Bullet seating seems to be fine. Using marker on the bullet of a loaded round I didn't see any marks from seating into the rifling. The brass (FC) has seen about five firings but perhaps I should try new brass.

Ash, Army of Darkness
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Do a Google search on Winchester rifle primers. You will see plenty. That being said I have used them with no issues, but mine were not in the lots that had issues. Could be the brass as well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a bad brick of WLR primers from Obama scare 1. The primers would sometimes (3 to 6 in 100) blow out on the edge of the primer cup in long standing loads. This happened in pressures from .30-30 to .30-06. It scared many bolt faces, but was not over pressure. YMMV.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
F
Fraser Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by smithrjd
Do a Google search on Winchester rifle primers. You will see plenty. That being said I have used them with no issues, but mine were not in the lots that had issues. Could be the brass as well.

Thanks for a good tip. I just did a search for "Winchester large rifle primer problems" and the first search result was a discussion of the same problem that I experienced with a small hole being burned through the edge of the primer.

Ash, Army of Darkness
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Some where in the search you should find the exact lot numbers that were suspect. If they match your lot then you have an answer.

Last edited by smithrjd; 04/12/18.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Fraser
Originally Posted by smithrjd

Thanks for a good tip. I just did a search for "Winchester large rifle primer problems" and the first search result was a discussion of the same problem that I experienced with a small hole being burned through the edge of the primer.

Winchester has been good about replacing/reimbursing for the suspect primers.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Or you could contact Winchester with the lot number, they appear to be pretty good about refunding money for the bad primers.

ETA: Ha! 5sdad beat me to it by a half minute.

Last edited by Son_of_the_Gael; 04/12/18.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For a while, a person could get Winchester primers cheap. I loaded (no pun intended) up on them. I have not had an issue with Winchester primers, though quite a few evidently did.

I've heard that Winchester will not only reimburse for the primers, but also for any damage.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They will, but who wants the hassle?

They were my go-to primers for a long time, but apparently they made no effort to get the bad ones off the shelf, which means any in stores are still suspect. I moved on to others.

What fresh Hell is this?
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Bugger
For a while, a person could get Winchester primers cheap. I loaded (no pun intended) up on them. I have not had an issue with Winchester primers, though quite a few evidently did.

I've heard that Winchester will not only reimburse for the primers, but also for any damage.

I've had no issues with the ones I have either.

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Bugger

They were ready to pay for my repair, but Marlin charged me nothing. Firing pin was replaced, bolt head left in place with a mark etched into the face.

Also, my primers weren’t in the lot numbers that were identified as being defective, but they comped me for them with no questions asked. This included primers I had already loaded into ammunition, but not get fired. I was very pleased with Winchesters response.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have been using Winchester large rifle primers since I started reloading about 53 years ago, and have never encountered a bad batch. That doesn't mean that it never happens, but the odds are that if you get some bad ones, Winchester will make it right.

FWIW, I have blown only one primer--the first load fired in a very nice custom Model 70 by a well-respected builder. Although the rifle was not advertised as "unfired", I believe that it had not been. Sure enough, the culprit was excessive headspace. After a quick tweak by my gunsmith, the rifle gave me good service for over twenty years, and it now resides with my son-in-law--the only rifle that he uses.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I too have dad issues with leaky Winchester primers. Several years ago I had a bad brick of them according to the lot number.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Maybe 15 or so years ago I bought some Winchester primers that were undersized (didn't know at that time) and I could seat them into the case with finger pressure alone. I thought I had overloaded my cases and that the brass had expanded, but turns out not to be the case. The primers were unplated brass (copper colour) and I think that they were intended to have the plating and were sized for the plating ie undersized without it. I normally use CCI but had to buy the Winchester because that's all that was available at the time. I don't think I'll risk using Winchester again. I've never had issues with CCI or Federal or S&B or RWS.

Last edited by mauserand9mm; 04/13/18.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by super T
I too have dad issues with leaky Winchester primers. Several years ago I had a bad brick of them according to the lot number.

Disagreements with a parent are always troublesome. wink

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I had 5000 that were bad. They pitted up the face of the bolt on my silhouette rifle. Winchester replaced them with - guess what? More bad primers! I still have them. I just use them for low pressure cast bullet loads.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

53 members (35, BallisticBRYAN, Akhutr, 338reddog, 9 invisible), 1,387 guests, and 842 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,208
Posts18,503,878
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.