Print Thread
Hop To
#12780322 04/08/18
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
What sunglasses do you guys recommend? Anything out there decent in the $50-$60 range. I'm tired of wearing the $10 gas station glasses but can't justify $120 and up for a pair.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
I used cheap sunglasses for years. Wear them all day and they gave me a headache, I think because of distortion. Also, they seem to only last a year or so and then it was time for another pair.

Being older, I needed bifocal magnification to tie mono knots and went looking for a solution. Costa Del Mar had just what I needed in various bifocal magnification to suit my vision and the polarization actually works, letting me see into the water a bit on a day with high glare. They cost a lot, but I've had the same pair for the past 13 years because they come with a nice case to protect them. I highly recommend Costa Del Mar sunglasses. Pay once, cry once as they say.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You can get decent polarized glasses from several sources for under $100. Strike King makes some pretty good ones, for example. If you need cheaters to tie knots (and who doesn't?) just carry a cheap pair of those. Put 'em on to tie a knot and then swap back to the polarized ones. Equip your polarized ones with a neck band so you don't have to put them down or fumble them overboard.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Spend the money on some good glasses and be happy that you did. Native, Smith or Rayban. I hear good stuff about Costa's but never owned any. Currently using Native I bought for about $100 and love them.

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Spend the dough on the Costas. Worth it.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery - Thomas Jefferson
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another vote for spending the money for a good set of polarized sunglasses. Years ago I bought a set of Nikon Ambermatic sunglasses that have served me very well. Polarized, light adjusting to darken or lighten and mirrored. Mine are the aviator style that let in some side light, but I wear side shields when I'm out fishing. A couple of watch outs: Get a clip on strap or they can go overboard and you are out big bucks. A fishing buddy had a brand new pair of $$ Maui Jim sunglasses and we were just getting onto a float plane for a week's Canadian fishing trip and he dropped them in the water...gone. I'll bet that bush pilot had his swimming suit and goggles on and a new pair of Maui Jim's as soon as he got back to the dock. Also that mirror finish looks cool, but it reflects all the sunlight right back down onto your cheek bones. I screwed up my skin by not wearing enough sun screen or a face mask over lots of years of salmon and walleye fishing. A dermatologist with a scalpel can make quite an impression on (or in) a guy.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Prescription or normal? I have been using Smith Optics prescription sunglasses for over twenty years. I prefer the glass sandwich polarized/photochromic (about 18-20%). They have a bunch of different styles, sizes of lenses, and tints including some especially for fishing with side shields and large lenses. The glass lenses are heavier but really resist scratching much better than the plastic lenses. I have had to replace only when my prescription has changed. As suggested above get a strap for the glasses.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by OrangeDiablo
Spend the dough on the Costas. Worth it.

+1

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have a couple of pair of Smith Optics that are polarized for Fly Fishing, and a pair of Oakley polarized Gas Can models that I use for driving or fishing in a boat. MidwayUSA has some really good sales on Oakley’s from time to time. That’s where I buy mine.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Maui Jim's are my favorite. Frame quality is nicer than any Native's or Costas I've owned/own but should be since they're 50%-100% more. Native's for a cheaper option are nice. I have 2 pairs of kodiaks and wear them for work every day. One copper lens, one green lens. Ordered a pair of silver polarized lens.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've never invested in a good pair of fishing sunglasses. I use my dress glasses with a built-for-them polarized magnetic clip on sunglass. Works good, but it would be nice to have more facial coverage and the windows on the sides. I guess one of these days I'll quit being cheap and buy a good pair.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Costa. You won't get them for $60 but pretty close.

https://www.steepandcheap.com/costa?sort=%2Bprice&p=salePriceUSsteepcheap%3A%5B50+TO+75%5D%7CsalePriceUSsteepcheap%3A%5B75+TO+100%5D%7Cgender%3Amale&pagesize=60

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll save up and buy a pair of Costas. They do look nice.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
What's the best lens color for fishing?

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Nebraska
What's the best lens color for fishing?

According to what kinda water you are fishing. Offshore, clear freshwater, murky, etc...

The costa websight lists the colors they offer and what each is good for as a reference.

Around these parts our clear water is like weak iced tea. Almost see thru it, but not really. I wear glass blue mirror costas.

Also, if you decide on the costas, don’t order the first pair online. Go to a dealer with the huge display case, try them all on. Many styles, one will fit better than the others. I’ve gotta big head. So that limits me to just a few.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

R
R
Cheap sunglasses can ruin your eye, go with an Oakley or a similar brand for around $ 100, you will see the difference.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Costa Permit model are what I wear. Blue mirror in 580p. P is for their lightweight plastic lenses. Much cheaper than the glass versions and light enough you forget you are wearing them. Cheers.

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
H
H
I'd recommend any of the bamboo style that are currently offered on Amazon. Most come with polarized lenses and the fact that they float makes them perfect for time on the water.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just bought another set of Maui Jim’s. The box said $329. I paid $90 at Costco.

Sean
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I use many different makes and models as they make huge differences under different conditions. Just this morning I was fishing for red salmon at 4 AM. Anything dark tinted would have been useless and dangerous. Throughout the day needs change dramatically.

One particular cheap pair I bumped into for $10 absolutely light up salmon on sandy bottoms where other lenses leave them virtually invisible.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

101 members (badwolf, 257 mag, 35, BABore, 12 invisible), 1,445 guests, and 918 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,066
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.