J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by jk16
Originally Posted by dale06
Originally Posted by X1Proto
Well I picked up yesterday the latest Ruger No1 I purchased last week. It is absolutely the last New Ruger No1 I will ever buy.

Its a 1V in 243 Win made for Lipsey’s a couple years ago I think. I didn’t realize they had made these with a 26inch barrel instead of 24 or else I forgot about it. That makes it I believe only the second 1V in 26 inch Bbl along with the 220 Swift.

Now for the Workmanship or lack thereof its atrocious.

The Metal looks decent but does not have the High Polish of the past No1’s.

Now for the Wood Fit, what wood fit, I think I could have done better blindfolded. The Forearm Fits a lot closer on the Left Side than on the Right Side. The Proud Effect is at least double as it is on the left side. The Screw that attaches the forearm looks off center but it could be because the Checkering Pattern is Off Center.

The Butstock is even worse. The Fit on the Left side is about the same as the Forearm then on the Right Side it is even Prouder than the Forearm protrusion.

Now for the Butstock Checkering Pattern. The Checkering Pattern on the Left Side measures 460 thousands up from the Grip Cap, then on the Right Side it measures 430 thousands!
A whole 30 thousands difference from one side to the other the machine operator must have had a bad day or was half asleep when he aligned the Butstock in the Checkering Machine.
The Pattern is up farther on the Grip of the Butstock than any I have ever seen.

I’m sure glad I didn’t pay anywhere close to retail for this rifle as it was not a good buy at any price.

If that’s the Quality the Ruger Factory is building today its my last one.

I said the same thing six years ago, “never will have another”
I’ve had four if them, accuracy sucked.
Sorry you fell not the same trap.

Like Paul Bernard above you post that same butt hurt crap on EVERY Ruger rifle thread. It gets a bit old to those of us who have owned dozens and never gotten a "bad " one.

Anyone who clains to have owned four innaccurate Ruger no1 rifles without getting ONE "good" one is either the most unlucky human ever or a compete loser behind a rifle .

My guess is that it is the later.

You'll just have to harden the hell up buttercup. I will continue to tell the story of Ruger's bad QC where appropriate. With that I'll leave you to your marginally literate ramblings.

I'd say its the other way around , snowflake.

You are just another whinner bicthing about imaginary "issues" concerning guns you have never even owned.

And here is a newsflash for you-

Ruger stopped giving away fancy grade wood about the same time Browning and everyone else did.

Also ,Ruger no. 1 stocks have ALWAYS been fitted proud of the action. So , no real "news" from your "expert" opinion there, either.

Meanwhile, Ruger continues to build hundreds of thousands of great guns every year and you just continue to bitch.....

Congradulations.

Last edited by jk16; 04/10/18.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've bought 5 new #1's in the past 10 years. 7.62x39, .223, .30-40, .44 mag, .475 Turnbull.

The .475 and .223 are exceptionally accurate, and quite attractive. The .30-40 is gorgeous, with a piece of wood that wouldn't be out of place on a Purdey. It shoots 1-1½" groups regularly. The .7.62x39 has plain wood, but likewise shoots well.

The .44 mag has excellent wood and looks good. It shoots so-so, 1½-2" at 100 yards, but I've not really seriously developed loads for it, nor tried tuning it. I don't especially like the 20" barrel, so it may go down the road for that reason.

so call it 4½ out of 5, as far as being satisfactory rifles smile

I'm thinking about a .257 Roy, if I can find one with good enough wood. And the AH in 6.5 Creedmoor, but every one I have seen has plain wood, so I'd probably plan on a custom stock if I bought one

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

X
X1Proto Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
X
I knew I would get comments from the Brain Dead Democrats

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Too bad they don't make'em like this any more...

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 04/14/18.
IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
DF, NICE WOOD!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Bought a Ruger #1-A, in .257 Roberts, from Lipsey's a few years ago. As shown, wood is very plain and straight-grained. No complaints about fit or finish, although I have relieved wood at the back of the forend, installed a Hicks Accurizer, glass bedded the Hicks and forend, as well as a Jard trigger to replace the horrible, 6 lb. factory trigger. It now breaks at 1.5 lb. Extensive load development has landed on a load that will shoot sub-MOA, with the 80 gr. Barnes TTSX bullet.

[Linked Image]

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
[Linked Image]

There always has to be a troublemaker in a thread grin

My last ruger No 1 a 45/70 had a beautfiul nicely grained stock.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
[Linked Image]

There always has to be a troublemaker in a thread grin

My last ruger No 1 a 45/70 had a beautfiul nicely grained stock.

Only in the finest Fire tradition... wink

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The wood....

[Linked Image]

I forgot the question.

[Linked Image]

Oh, this was about accuracy, no?

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Ruger's are OK firearms. I've owned several over the years, handguns and rifles and, as with anything, some shot better than others and some had better fit. All served their purpose adequately. Some could be tinkered with and made to shoot better and others wouldn't respond to anything. Truthfully, what does one expect of mass produced anything? No doubt some are going to be better than others. I'm not particularly a Ruger "fan" but I'm not going to condemn a perfectly adequate firearm. If a fella wants custom fit and finish and guaranteed accuracy....he's gonna have to pay for it most likely. I currently only own one, a #1 in 450/400. It is owned primarily for the cartridge rather than the rifle although I do admire the #1's appearance. It isn't a tack driver but it's more than adequate for anything I might need a 450/400 for.....which is precious little!!!

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As long as a rifle is accurate enough for it's pupose, and functions perfectly, all is well. I had one No.1 I couldn't get to shoot, a 7x57, back when I was pretty ignorant about how to fix it. Maybe now I could do better with it, maybe not. More important, every single Ruger rifle I've owned has functioned perfectly. I've filed mag boxes and floated barrels on some, and tweaked a trigger, but that's all. After seeing all the troubles reported here with various rifles, some of them pretty expensive, I continue to put my trust in Rugers, at least the 77s and No.1s. I haven't dipped my toe in the Americans yet, but now that they've offered them with good magazines, it could happen; the action looks solid.

What fresh Hell is this?
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Sharps I also have a #1 in 450-400. I to bought it more for the cartridge than anything else as there are no Black Maned Lion or 100lb tuskers here in MI. With some reduced loads it's a pleasure to shoot and makes for a fine deer rifle.

I sold a Ruger #1 AB with a gorgeous piece of wood in 7X57 as I was having a custom rifle built in 7x57AI. I have regretted it ever since and that was 30 years ago!

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I love my No1 in 450-400. I simply shot the 450-400 and did not sweat the groups. I got about 2.5 inch with the only Hornady factory load I had- FWIW. I also have a limited run 45/70 with 26" barrel. I tinkered with the forarm to get 2" groups at 100 yards with the 45/70. Kinda annoying, but; par for the course. I agree with that prior post, you need to consider the caliber and purpose when testing for accuracy.

I would be a little worried to choose a 22/250 or a heavy barrel 6.5 CM in a No 1. A light wt 7x57 for deer size game - that should work. I dont need one, but; I was tempted a few times I have seen that combo. I still think about those.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The #1 I posted earlier is a .220S. I glassed the forearm to the hanger, put a set screw thru the hanger for pressure on the barrel, otherwise it's free floated with very little pressure against the receiver. It shoots consistant MOA, can do 1/2 MOA with the right loads. And, it has the Kleppinger trigger that I installed, bought before they got so expensive. That helps.

I traded for this RSI, '06 that shoots factory ammo about MOA and has a surprisingly good factory trigger. I mounted a scope rail, used low Weaver rings. Not the prettiest scope mount, but works well. I don't know what work if any was done before I got it. I didn't do anything other than the rail and scope rings. I haven't loaded for it, so don't know its full potential. It's a red pad, probably from the Wilson barrel era. Some of those shoot pretty good, some not as well.

DF

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I've owned a total of three: one in 7mm Rem Mag with a 26" barrel, the other two were in .45-70. The first of those .45-70s had the red butt pad and the latter, a black one. The only one I have today is perhaps my favorite rifle of all time -- the second in .45-70. I've had a couple of things done to it by an excellent smith who is now retired. The first "fix" was to have the throat lengthened by 0.30-inch, allowing seating of long-heavy bullets long -- to match a .458 Win Mag. The second change was more recent. The butt pad was changed to a black Pachmyer (Sp). It totes a Nikon 2 - 7 x 32. Pic is on the Header of my blogs.

It shoots MOA when I do my part with the loads developed for it. The wood isn't gorgeous, but nice. I've tried almost all available bullets in .458 from 300gr TSX to several 500s, and none shoot poorly. Included are 300s, 325s, 330s, 350s, 400s, 405s, 450s, 465 hardcasts, 500s and the 600 Barnes Original that shot well but not 100% stable due to the 1 - 20 rate of twist.

I've written many blogs about it as well as a reloading journal. As a one rifle do-it-all, it can. It weighs a mere 8.4 lbs with scope and 8.75 with 5 cartridges on the stock in a holder.

My original load for the first #1 in .45-70 was sent to Accurate powder for testing. I was getting 2015 fps avg from the 500gr Hornady. They got 2096 avg from the same load but in a 24" test barrel. When Bill Falen Jr. contacted me by phone, the first words out of his mouth were: "You have just reinvented the .458 Win Mag, what was the recoil like?" He also affirmed that the load was safe in the Ruger. That was from the original 22" barrel without throat modification. My current #1 in .45-70 with the "improved" throat grants up to 2200 fps from 500s using the right powders. The 350 TSX gives over 2500 fps. The 300 TSX up to 2700. Then, there are very modest loads for Bambi and field mice.

I've never had an issue with any of the three #1s I've owned. While I've owned many rifles, including other single-shots, a semi, many bolt actions and lever actions, I cherish my #1 above them all.

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
GSP, I keep some full house loads for the 450/400 just in case we do get an invasion of cape buffalo or pachyderm's in our garden. They're more than accurate enough for the intended task and, so far they haven't been needed for that purpose. I did the same as you, worked up a couple reduced, cast loads that equal my 40-70 SS. One of them, a 410 gr. Lyman bullet over Trail Boss, is a tack driver. Having taken a few whitetails with the Sharps in 40-70 I'm confident the same bullet over smokeless at nearly the same velocity is more than capable of cleanly taking a lot bigger game than just whitetails.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I’ve had three. My first was a 4 digit serial number .243. One that early probably had a Douglas barrel. I traded it.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Well, I THOUGHT my first one would be my last, but suddenly, my deceased fathers' in law #1s in 45-70 became available so it joins my #1B in 30-06. Both are 130 prefixes and both are red pad rifles. I absolutely love the all around quality of the older ones.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I like those older guns, too. Very nice wood in your '06.

I like your sight set up on the 45-70. Did your FIL use it much?

DF

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1234, 257Bob, 219DW, 65 invisible), 2,871 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,311
Posts18,487,258
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.