-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I noticed that also when I saw the movie. The time frame for the story is late 50s early 60s? The M14 was just getting its start in the USMC and USARMY its possible that prison systems had them, but most likely its a movie prop gun

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Found this on IMFBd

"Captain Hadley (Clancy Brown) is armed with an M14 Rifle fitted with a scope when Tommy (Gil Bellows) tries to tell the prison warden that he knew the man who really killed Dufresne's wife and lover. It is not likely an M21, since prisons aren't usually outfitted with Marine sniper weaponry. Close inspection of the rifle reveals that it lacks the fire control selector lug on actual M14s (and M21s), though the stock does have the selector lug notch, indicating it is actually a civilian variant in a U.S.G.I. M14 stock. Given the M14 and M21 rifles were in frontline service with the U.S. Military at the time this scene takes place, it is doubtful they would be issued to guards in some prison in New England.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Hollywood is notorious for not matching the firearms to the time period. I have seen older western movies and Native Americans are armed with Winchester Model 94s, I also saw a grade B Vietnam war movie several years ago and one US Army soldier is armed with a Hi Point carbine.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
That scene stuck with me the first time I saw it. The M-14 came about in 1959. Told my wife that the Shawshank scene might have taken place before the M-14 was developed, like Lucas McCaine and his Winchester on The Rifleman. I was wrong. As written in the script, Tommy’s shooting happened around 1965. The storyline sure seemed to be dated earlier...

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Found this on IMFBd

. . Close inspection of the rifle reveals that it lacks the fire control selector lug on actual M14s (and M21s), though the stock does have the selector lug notch . . .

[Linked Image]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interesting. I only saw the movie once back when it came out. At the time I thought the movie was set in the late 60's, making the rifle more plausible.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jericho
Hollywood is notorious for not matching the firearms to the time period. I have seen older western movies and Native Americans are armed with Winchester Model 94s, I also saw a grade B Vietnam war movie several years ago and one US Army soldier is armed with a Hi Point carbine.

The 1870s, and into the 1880s, saw heavy use of the Winchester Model 92.........

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah those were the movies. Complete with a time warp.

Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M-14,

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Shawshank_Redemption

Captain Hadley (Clancy Brown) is armed with an M14 Rifle fitted with a scope when Tommy (Gil Bellows) tries to tell the prison warden that he knew the man who really killed Dufresne's wife and lover. It is not likely an M21, since prisons aren't usually outfitted with Marine sniper weaponry. Close inspection of the rifle reveals that it lacks the fire control selector lug on actual M14s (and M21s), though the stock does have the selector lug notch, indicating it is actually a civilian variant in a U.S.G.I. M14 stock. Given the M14 and M21 rifles were in frontline service with the U.S. Military at the time this scene takes place, it is doubtful they would be issued to guards in some prison in New England.

Last edited by 700LH; 04/14/18.
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Jericho

it was probably 6 months ago, but I walk thru the living room and my wife was watching
some war movie... had to be one of those B movies...about WW 1.

but what caught my eye, and I had to sit and watch and my wife was wondering what I was
laughing about, when people are getting shot all over the place in this battle...

I am sure someone in the know, on the set, was setting this all up to thumb his nose at movie goers...

The Germans were armed with Krags, Springfields, Enfields...

The British soldiers were firing Mausers....

The American Doughboys were using Mosin Nagants...

I really can't believe this was some sort of Hollywood over sight...

I explained it to her and went on about my business....

figured it had to be a real crap movie if they were pulling something like that...

I;m sure the director had no clue either...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have the first season of "Combat" on DVD. Almost always the Germans are using American machine guns, and unless the rifle is featured in a scene the Germans are armed with K31 rifles.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The 1870s, and into the 1880s, saw heavy use of the Winchester Model 92.........

I hope that is meant to be sarcasm since the 92 didn't come out until 1892.

But I understand why the wrong guns are often used in movies, especially the low budget versions. I don't think it is because the people filming them don't know any better, (although at times they don't) it is because of availability of enough working versions of the right gun. Patton was a great movie, but by the time it was filmed there were virtually no working versions of WW-2 era tanks. All of the tanks, US and German are post WW-2 tanks.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I like Dances with Wolves when they flip to some Sandhill Cranes flying over and give Canada Goose calls.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Seafire
.................................The American Doughboys were using Mosin Nagants...

Must have been those Westinghouse ones we built for the Czar wink I found one in a hoard of Nagants at a gun show once.

Last edited by Mike_The_Spike; 04/15/18.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

110 members (300_savage, 2500HD, 79S, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 673, 14 invisible), 1,377 guests, and 855 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,449
Posts18,507,926
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.