Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Some wouldn't own a gun they couldn't shoot, others including myself have some rifles that it doesn't make sense to even handle too much. The gun in question is a '57 model F in .358". Super clean like it was made yesterday, has a R forearm on it so I am told. I really like shooting this gun, I bought it because I couldn't find a nicer .358 in my price range, an EG or R I would have preferred, but mainly because I did not own a 99 in .358. This firearm doesn't have the tang crack because it hasn't been fired in my estimation. Should it be put away, or maybe buy a replacement stock and fire away? What do you guys do when you like shooting a gun but fear tearing it up? Thanks in advance for your replies. Mike

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I suspect we have all reached the point of, "why did I buy this?" Or some other version of, "what was I thinking?" when you're looking at a rifle that no longer excites you. When a gun no longer gives you some pleasure, get rid of it. If it gives you pleasure to shoot it, shoot it, if you smile when you shine it? shine it! If you're afraid to handle it, then sell it to a museum and let them worry about scratching it.

Good news is You still have the choice!

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
+1 on what Jeff said. The gun is an inanimate object, it doesn't have feelings, so pass it along to someone who will cherish it so you can get something that excites you. There are other heavily used and molested 99's out there to use as your franken gun, I would keep that one original.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Personally, if I won't hunt/shoot it, I wont buy it.

However, Jeff is much wiser than I am......... grin

I would listen to him

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
People go to Vegas every year and lose billions. To me, that is a waste and dumb. Spending $ on firearms isn’t dumb.

I don’t think you should worry about shooting your 358. I killed a really nice buck with my 358 EG. The 358 is a sledgehammer!

To make you feel better, I have hunted with my all original, excellent condition 1947 Model 70 Winchester in 250-3000. And it was a great feeling to use it. This coming season I am am going to use my mid 50s Super Grade in 257 Roberts. Just not if it’s raining. smile

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O

Have a picture of the gun you could post , curious why a like new F model would have a R forearm on it. Confusing? GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Like I said, I never noticed that this was not the correct forearm for this gun, but I was told here by another fellow that it belonged on a R.

Attached Images
358.jpg (62.19 KB, 96 downloads)
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Sure enough that's what it looks like, an F-R! Those R-shaped forearms are very easy to control in weird field positions. I'd shoot the bejeezus out of it and replace the butt stock if it ever cracked beyond what duct tape could heal. Or offer it up for trade toward the one you really want.

JeffG
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shoot it.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by steve99
Shoot it.

I was trying to say that, but you know me. Not very tactful. Put a gun in my hands and I'll send a pill down the tube. That's what the hell they were made for.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

IC B3

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Sorry for the image size, I am struggling to get it correct

Attached Images
358.JPG (63.82 KB, 70 downloads)
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Choot em! why they were made!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
It does the soul good to have a couple of special rifles. Whether or not one chooses to shoot them really doesn’t matter....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Amen

JeffG
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know people with safe queens, and that's fine as long as they don't begrudge others for shooting their rifles...regardless of condition. I do know a few folks who bitch and moan about others using extremely high condition rifles that should "be in a museum, since there's so few of those left" but I don't subscribe to that train of thought. If your heart tells you to shoot it, then go for it.

This isn't a rare model at all, but it is in exceedingly rare condition---and I wasn't about to not hunt it.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I know people with safe queens, and that's fine as long as they don't begrudge others for shooting their rifles...regardless of condition. I do know a few folks who bitch and moan about others using extremely high condition rifles that should "be in a museum, since there's so few of those left" but I don't subscribe to that train of thought. If your heart tells you to shoot it, then go for it.

This isn't a rare model at all, but it is in exceedingly rare condition---and I wasn't about to not hunt it.
[Linked Image]

Thanks for your point of view. It is refreshing.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
If you can't shoot it and use it for what it was intended, it might as well be a boat oar. SHOOT IT!!!

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Four or five years ago I took my 1899B, which lettered July of 1899 out to fill the freezer, which it did nicely. Told the fellers at work, and they said "ARE YOU NUTS, TAKING A 114 YEAR OLD GUN OUT HUNTING?'. I told them that is what it was designed and made for. Funny thing, it went back in the safe looking exactly what it looked like prior to the hunt. I was extremely gratifying to get a nice en with the old 1899B in 303 Savage. I won't own anything I won't shoot. By the way, the rifle I speak of is in very fine condition, not a beater.

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
There isn't a rifle in existence that can come close to me in the good looks department. God knows how many times I've gone into harm's way, so I sure ain't worried about a rifle...

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
It depends. If I bought it strictly as an investment instead of, say, gold coins or rare stamps then no, I wouldn't shoot it. Same goes for a super rare exhibition grade M1899- I might be tempted to fire it a couple times and then carefully and thoroughly clean it but I wouldn't hunt it. After that disclaimer, I don't, and never have, looked upon my guns as investments nor have I any intention to buy guns for investment purposes only. To me the joy of ownership extends to shooting and hunting them- even nice condition rarities. I just never used any "nice" ones to prop open a rusty barbed wire fence, or took one out when rain/snow was in the forecast (mainly because of the crummy oil finish used on factory rifle stocks from "our era" which allow water to pass through into the wood like a sieve.)

The only time in my life when I failed to heed my own creedo was when I fell for a 1940-vintage Colt Officer's Model .38. New in the box literally- not so much as a turn mark on the cylinder, and factory grease still evident, and the box was mint also. I loved looking at that revolver, and tried to justify what I paid as an investment, but it gnawed at me. Rather than break down and bust its cherry, I sold it, at a profit, to a collector who may or may not have fired it.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

420 members (06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 1_deuce, 48 invisible), 2,227 guests, and 549 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,444
Posts18,507,847
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.