Print Thread
Hop To
M
maggie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Reading a lot of the older books as far as tiger hunting etc., most always the PH stakes out young male buffalo when hunting man eating tigers. It's mentioned so many times that I started to wonder why always male bufs?

"The day I went to work everybody showed up to watch Johnny Luster work. Well, they had a wheelbarrow there, and said I was to push that thing around all day. I looked at it, then turned around and headed for the mountians..."
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cheap, surplus animal.

D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Just a guess - males are surplus as far as needing breeding stock, young are more quickly replaced than older prime males.

Dale

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Dunno either. But reading Jim Corbett right now and he writes he brought four young bulls with him on this tiger hunt for bait.....

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Maybe tigers like BALLS...

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
And Im wondering why this is in the Africa forum.....not a lot of tigers in Africa....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by ingwe
And Im wondering why this is in the Africa forum.....not a lot of tigers in Africa....

No India or Asia forum.

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose.
It was written to limit the power of government over the individual
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Smaller, more vulnerable than a big bull? More enticing to a tiger?
Maybe also the premise is wrong? Cows more valuable than bulls?

If they were domestic, as opposed to something being hunted with a trophy fee,
cows probably were more valuable.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My guess is that they cost less than cows or breeding bulls. Also size may be a factor. big enough to ensure the tiger/tigress will come back
for 2 or 3 feedings, but not so big, that the tiger might hesitate to attack. JMO

BH63

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by maggie
Reading a lot of the older books as far as tiger hunting etc., most always the PH stakes out young male buffalo when hunting man eating tigers. It's mentioned so many times that I started to wonder why always male bufs?

Male odor is stronger I would guess. Female of most domesticated species are always more valuable.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My strong impression from reading Corbett is that he believed tigers preferred young male buffalo over other bait animals, though he used goats sometimes to humor villagers. When a woman who had lost a son to a tiger wanted him to use her older cow buffalo as bait, he agreed to make her feel better but privately considered that the cow was of no use to him as bait. He does record tigers killing cattle, milk cows, and would sit up over one if a tiger killed it but he consistently chose young male buffalo as bait.

I don't know why but he had reason and I can't quibble with his success.

Along that line, Corbett's knowledge of game is hilarious to a duffer like me. He wrote that if he could find a tiger scratch mark along a road, as any sportsman knows (a tongue in cheek comment no doubt), it would reveal the sex and age of the animal, the direction of its travel, where its headquarters were and if it had recently eaten a human.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

388 members (163bc, 160user, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 10ring1, 33 invisible), 2,054 guests, and 1,102 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,245
Posts18,486,114
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.