Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by bruinruin
I watched 1 episode of this show. One of the calls a warden responded to was to help an archery deer hunter who had wounded a deer and couldn't find it. If I remember correctly, the hunter called the warden because the deer may have gone onto private land he didn't have access to. Whatever the case was isn't what struck me as ludicrous. No, what was ludicrous was the warden chastising the archer for shooting the deer at close range because as he went on to explain, the arrow was going too slow at close range for maximum lethality. He explained that the arrow wouldn't reach top speed until it was out to the 15-20 yard mark. What a fugging moron.

I'm not sure that is a strong enough negative description of that idiot - he's special kind of stupid. That is clearly a political appointee to the Game Warden academy in that state.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Yeah, I watched that one.
Physics aside...........maybe the warden was trying to comment on arrow stability from less than decent form/tune.
Too many have problems, switch to mechanical heads and see an improvement, so think the problem is solved (when only masked).
Poor penetration should remind them of something not right.
Usually they blame the head and buy something different and screw up next time.

Up close some arrows are flying pretty badly, fletch will correct a bit if given time (distance).

Simple paper tune check would help a lot of folks.

Last edited by hookeye; 04/17/18.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I was watching Leatherwood Outdoors last night (like their vids) and somebody on one episode tried to explain how gravity works on downhill shots.
Had similar discussion w old time bowhunters.
And a chitload of other old time (and newer) deer hunters.
Physics degree aint a prereq to killing deer.
And continued success, often reinforces silly notions.
I brought my Lyman reloading manual to work severa times for the picture explaining uphill/downhill.
Once to a guy with a mathematics degree, who got snippy when i told him he was "wrong".
He said gravity helps when downhill............so I asked why then does it have dang near the same effect uphill.
After he swallowed his pride he was an OK guy LOL

Last edited by hookeye; 04/17/18.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Dunno, I've shot deer when we were not tuned quite correctly, as close as 3 steps in the process. Never ever had penetration issues. but it may/probably was the fact that we used COC heads and folks don't do that much any more. But boy talk about penetration....

Seems like all the archers worry about now is 50 yard shots and expandables

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

640 members (160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 10ring1, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,633 guests, and 1,403 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,094
Posts18,483,019
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.