-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
In Montana we sluice 'em on the ground. Mountain grouse that is.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Not considered sporting where I'm from

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by deflave
In Montana we sluice 'em on the ground. Mountain grouse that is.

Yep. Just white meat on the hoof..

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've only hunted mountain chicken once. Used a .22, can't remember, either Vipers or Super-X 1330's at around 9500 feet. Probably Vipers.

Got one at about 80, or maybe 150 yards away with open sights. I didn't step it off. But it was far enough away that I wasn't sure if it was a bird or a rock. And it didn't move when I missed, low I guess, on the first shot. Second shot it fell over.
It was a chest shot, and no loss of meat.

Nowadays, I'd use a scope.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tweed
What round do you like for grouse hunting and why?

Prefer open sites or scope?

I use a .22 short from a Smith & Wesson handgun ....why? seems I always see tem while deer hunting and it's the least amount of noise one can make. I tried to throw my knife at them but am not good at it.....I never hit any of them.

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Windfall
First off let me say that I admire your stealth for being able to see one sitting still long enough to draw a bead on the bird. I usually blunder my way through the woods until they explode at my feet and scare the chit out of me. That said are you sure that offing one with a rifle is even legal in your state? Our DNR would hang you by the thumbs if they caught you with a grouse with a bullet hole in it. We can't use a rifle for any game bird in Wisconsin. They are just such a neat bird that it just seems fitting that they meet their end in front of a german short hair and a load of 71/2's out of a classic double.

You really can’t compare ruffed grouse hunting in Wisconsin to ruffed grouse in Montana. The birds are totally different.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Reminds me of the one that I shot as a kid one deer season. I'd been reading Jack O'Connor stuff about how a rifle bullet crosses the line of sight twice. Once real close and the next time out where you have the rifle sighted in for. Anyway this grouse was at the real close yardage I figured, so I went for a head shot with my .30-06. Jack was wrong about the yardage thing because that bird literally exploded in a shower of feathers and bird parts. Last time that I ever tried that.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Reminds me of the one that I shot as a kid one deer season. I'd been reading Jack O'Connor stuff about how a rifle bullet crosses the line of sight twice. Once real close and the next time out where you have the rifle sighted in for. Anyway this grouse was at the real close yardage I figured, so I went for a head shot with my .30-06. Jack was wrong about the yardage thing because that bird literally exploded in a shower of feathers and bird parts. Last time that I ever tried that.

You might not have even hit it and it was just the shockwave that blew it up. smile

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by ingwe

[Linked Image]

Nice one. What rifle is that?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Aspencreek
Originally Posted by ingwe

[Linked Image]

Nice one. What rifle is that?

Thats actually a 17HMR in a Rugger 77/17 VBBZ...head shots on grouse and rabbit, doesn't ruin any meat.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
First off let me say that I admire your stealth for being able to see one sitting still long enough to draw a bead on the bird. I usually blunder my way through the woods until they explode at my feet and scare the chit out of me. That said are you sure that offing one with a rifle is even legal in your state? Our DNR would hang you by the thumbs if they caught you with a grouse with a bullet hole in it. We can't use a rifle for any game bird in Wisconsin. They are just such a neat bird that it just seems fitting that they meet their end in front of a german short hair and a load of 71/2's out of a classic double.

In some places they're so unafraid that your German shorthair would eat all of them before you could shoot any. Except for the ones in the trees of course, and nothing says sporting like sluicing some foolhens off a limb with a shotgun.

Ruger 77/22 with a 2 3/4x Redfield with a Lee dot when I used a rifle. S&W M16-4 32H&R with 90gr SWCs loaded to about 1000fps the last few times I got to go. Shot a bunch of Ptarmigan with a Stevens M15 I chopped down to 16" and carried as a camp meat gun on fly in trips in AK

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The time honored method of shooting grouse in Wisconsin is with some brand of single shot 12, 16, 20, or 410 shotgun off the back of an ATV or seat of a pick up truck. Drive around looking at the side of the road for birds and then stop and pot them on the ground.

It was said, tongue in cheek, that rifles were outlawed for grouse as the potential for injury from ricochets doing this was too high. Real reason is it took more skill to hit the bird with a rifle and educated the birds regarding vehicles stopping. wink Truthbe told, it seemed some dog "purists" made enough noise to pass a law against taking grouse with rifles as a start towards making grounds juicing illegal. At least that was the impression I got from talking to a couple of movers and shakers for getting the first law passed.

This tactic is pretty common in MN too, we just tried to make the shooter get off the vehicle and walk a couple steps first. That law didn't work and I think it was repealed. I won't ground sluice a grouse with a shotgun but don't begrudge most of those that do. Bagging grouse with a rifle around here is often a testament to woodsmanship and skill and is on a higher scale than stalking squirrels and rabbits if one is successful more often than not. Grouse are about the only birds one can shoot with any rifle or handgun- pheasants and Huns are 22 rimfire only, no 17 or 5mm Rimfires the last I checked.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
When you can get a shorthair to climb a 100 foot spruce to push out a blue grouse, give me a call.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Tweed Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by Steelhead

It's a joke. I've killed them with 6mm/284, 270, 30/30, 30/06, 35 Whelen and 357 but never a rimfire.

Ah gotcha

Wow was there much left of them after that .357? Probably shot and butchered it at one time laugh

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Where I grewup, shotguns shooting shot was the only legal means of take...

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
T
Tweed Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T

Thanks Windfall. I just assumed everyone hunted them with a .22 since they're so small. I just double checked the regs and you're right....no game bird...not even grouse.

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bobmn
Aspen: What rifle is that? Thanks.

Bobmn, it's a Chiappa Little Badger. They make them in 22lr, 22mag, and 17hmr. Inexpensive little single shot rifle that shoots quite well. I added on a barrel shroud and paracord wrapped the upper wire stock (much more comfortable that way). Weighs like 3 pounds and breaks down to 16 or 17 inches. I've packed pistols before, but I can shoot something like this so much better.

Did you make the barrel shroud ? Or, who sells them ? Very nice back pack rifle or truck gun

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by blairvt
Not considered sporting where I'm from

some consider guns not sporting. LOL

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by DonFischer
Been a lot of years since I've found many grouse here so don't get to crazy about it. In Montana and Alaska grouse hunting was great. My favorite grouse gun was a Browning Double auto in 12ga. Then don the road some years I picked up a Rem 870 Special Field. Had it bored out to IC and it was a really fast gun. If I get back into it like I would like I'll use my AyA 28ga Matador, not expensive gun just handles great! I have shot a couple with it and one with my 410 AyA!

whats a double auto shotgun?

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Owl
Originally Posted by bobmn
Aspen: What rifle is that? Thanks.

Bobmn, it's a Chiappa Little Badger. They make them in 22lr, 22mag, and 17hmr. Inexpensive little single shot rifle that shoots quite well. I added on a barrel shroud and paracord wrapped the upper wire stock (much more comfortable that way). Weighs like 3 pounds and breaks down to 16 or 17 inches. I've packed pistols before, but I can shoot something like this so much better.

Did you make the barrel shroud ? Or, who sells them ? Very nice back pack rifle or truck gun

Wish I was that handy.... The shroud was made by Longshot Mfg. Found them when I was looking for a hammer extender. They have a few other accessories available for the Badger besides the shrouds. https://longshotmanufacturing.com/t/chiappa-little-badger

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

61 members (300_savage, 257robertsimp, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 13 invisible), 1,616 guests, and 848 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,448
Posts18,528,824
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.