Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Well, it only seemed fitting that I go out and buy an AR10. I ran across this little gem on GB for a good deal and the guy was local, so that was convenient as hell. I don't know a damn thing about AR10 rifles, but I figured the original Armalite was a good starting point. I know it's not as versatile as the DPMS pattern AR10, because I can only use Armalite mags, But the rifle came with 3 mags and they all work great. I don't mind steel mags for the 308. This one is chambered in 7.62x51 or 308w and she seems to be a shooter. Today I did some preliminary load work up with a few different bullets and a few different types of brass. Some of the brass was new and some was once fired from the other day.. The new brass was the Lapua I picked up on the cheap (56 pcs for $30.00). The rest was once fired FC and WW. Here's some of the things I added to the rifle:

PRS stock
Magpul K2+ grip
BAD lever
Griffin Armament Ambi charging handle
Ambi safety
Enhanced mag release button (Armaspec)
Burris AR 4.5-14x42 scope with Burris P.E.P.R mount

Things it had when I bought it:
National Match trigger
20" stainless match grade barrel
6-9 Harris bi-pod

[Linked Image]

I only shot 3 shot groups today, because I was getting rained out. Weather sucked. I will go out again when the weather is better. Here are the groups I shot while doing load development. Honest 3 shot groups at 100 yards in the rain. I'll try to list them in order:

168GR. Sierra MK bullets with AR Comp powder:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

168gr. Hornady BTHP Match bullet with AR Comp powder:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

178gr. Hornady ELD-M
[Linked Image]

It's a start, but some of these groups look promising. When the weather gets better, I'm going to have to re-check some of these loads with the chronograph and we'll see where we stand... When I get something that shoots consistent, I'll shoot the black rifle challenge with this rifle.. I know Gunner is playing with his new AR10, and I'm sure some of you other guys are also playing around with 1 or 2 of them. Just thought I'd share my new rifle with you guys.. Regards...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Nice! Appears it likes those 168gr Hornady Match loads.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks tmitch. Yes, I'm going to have to run those again and see if the one group was a fluke.. Too wet today though. Couldn't even chrono them...

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Good stuff BSA, these guns are a blast to shoot and tinker with. smile

Trump Won!
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I agree gunner. Spendy, but fun grin Just ordered another scope for this rifle. A cheap burris ar 7.62, so i can put the ar556 scope back on my noveske.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
10-4, I was going to shoot mine with irons today, too dang windy, it came with a handy little front sight adjustment tool in the pistol grip, wish Talley would come on with those rings.

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks good bsa,, good load work as usual.

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks buddy! Glad to see you stop by every once in a while.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

It's a start, but some of these groups look promising. When the weather gets better, I'm going to have to re-check some of these loads with the chronograph and we'll see where we stand... When I get something that shoots consistent, I'll shoot the black rifle challenge with this rifle.. I know Gunner is playing with his new AR10, and I'm sure some of you other guys are also playing around with 1 or 2 of them. Just thought I'd share my new rifle with you guys.. Regards...

Not bad for starters.

Might try some Varget.......it'll be compressed, but is usually very accurate.

RL-15 is a touch slower than AR-Comp & is also very,very good; friend has also had good accuracy but a little lower velocity with 8208. And don't forget about the old standby, H4350.

I'd also try the Nolser 165/168 gr Ballsitic Tip................very accurate; ditto for the AB version too. And the BT version is pretty economical to shoot.

Who's "Match Grade" barrel, as that doesn't really mean much w/o know whose it is?

MM

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Armalite used Wilson for their match grade barrels.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wilson can be very good................I have a WOA, Wilson barrel & I like it a lot.

MM

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks mm. I was thinking about trying some RL15, as ive had very good results with it in the past. I figured id give ar comp a try first, since it meters so well. This one has been damn fun to play with. If i werent at work right now, id be at the range!!!!!! mad

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You shouldn't be posting on company time then.............LOL.

Yeah, I like AR-Comp a lot too, but 8208 meters as well or better, but usually with a little less velocity,

If you can get your hands on some VV-135 or 140, it's also very good, just expensive.

And try some 150/155 gr bullets...........you might be surprised.

Also, step up to the BR-2 primers for some trials............might help. Been using a lot of both the BR-2 & BR-4 for the past few years instead of Fed Match stuff.

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Wilson can be very good................I have a WOA, Wilson barrel & I like it a lot.

MM

I've never had a bad one!

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice writeup, bsa. Looks like you've got a keeper with plenty of upside. Enjoy!

Hit a wall on my 6.8. Want to put an SSA-E trigger in it like I just did with my commie zapper. No sales right now, though. Need a holiday sale. smile
Guess it will have to be Memorial Day. frown

Commie Zapper
(link to full size pic) [img]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/gallery/80/full/70702.jpg[img]
[Linked Image]

Bone stock Colt LE6920

Add-ons
--------------
Centurion Arms C4 rail
Troy handguards
Geissele SSA-E trigger
Trijicon Acog TA31F 4x32 red chevron
TA51 Acog mount
BCM ambidextrous CH

Last edited by local_dirt; 04/20/18.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Nice rifle ld. Yeah, wait for a sale on the SSA-E trigger. I buy mine when they are around $179.00. You might also like the RRA 2 stage match trigger. They are about $80.00 on sale.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
You shouldn't be posting on company time then.............LOL.

Yeah, I like AR-Comp a lot too, but 8208 meters as well or better, but usually with a little less velocity,

If you can get your hands on some VV-135 or 140, it's also very good, just expensive.

And try some 150/155 gr bullets...........you might be surprised.

Also, step up to the BR-2 primers for some trials............might help. Been using a lot of both the BR-2 & BR-4 for the past few years instead of Fed Match stuff.

MM

Ive been thinking about the br2 primers. I only have a few thousand cci 200's on hand. Time to buy some more..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Not bad for starters.

Might try some Varget.......it'll be compressed, but is usually very accurate.

RL-15 is a touch slower than AR-Comp & is also very,very good; friend has also had good accuracy but a little lower velocity with 8208. And don't forget about the old standby, H4350.

I'd also try the Nolser 165/168 gr Ballsitic Tip................very accurate; ditto for the AB version too. And the BT version is pretty economical to shoot.

Who's "Match Grade" barrel, as that doesn't really mean much w/o know whose it is?

MM

MM, I've also heard Wilson, but am not 100% sure. In the manual, it says this: "The AR-10®(T) has a specially lapped match grade barrel. It is superbly accurate when used
with Nexus Ammunition's Match Grade ammo. Naturally, accuracy is less impressive if lower
quality ammunition is used.
".. That's all I can give you buddy..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Well, I went out the other day and worked on some more loads with some different brass. Settled on Sig Sauer for now (besides my Lapua). I find the Sig brass has much better neck tension than the Winchester brass. The winchester is thin stuff, so I'm going to give it to a buddy with a bolt gun... I don't know who makes Sig Sauer brass, but it looks an awful lot like Hornady??? Anyway, I'm still working on the 168gr. Hornady match bullets. Have about 400 to burn up before I go and switch to something different like montanaman suggested. I will try some scenars like my buddy Gunner has been messing with, but who knows when?? As for now, here's what the groups looked like the other day. Loaded up 40 rounds and went to the range right after work. :

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Accuracy node at 41.5 grains.

Then I shot some 10 round groups for fun. Didn't have enough of 1 charge wt for 10 shots, so I used a combination of what I had left from load development...Not going to place very well in the black rifle challenge with this target, but you get the picture...:
[Linked Image]

I'm happy as hell with this rifle. She seems to be a good one. I'll keep working on those loads and narrowing down what brass I like for this auto loader...

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

454 members (1_deuce, 17CalFan, 257_X_50, 16gage, 160user, 10gaugemag, 54 invisible), 2,742 guests, and 1,400 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,753
Posts18,476,295
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.