Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I just received a new pair of Schnee hiking boots. These boots have a wide rand on them. The problem is, the rand doesn't stretch and my 3E foot doesn't fit inside the boot! Is there anybody on the fire with wide feet that has good boot suggestions? I currently get along with an old pair of Danner's but they aren't as water proof as before and I need to update my foot gear before heading to ID this fall.

WARNING: THE FIRST D WIDTH WEARING PIN HEAD THAT SUGGESTS BUYING A PAIR OF BOOTS ONE SIZE BIGGER WILL GET A 3E UP THE ARSE!

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Zappos sell many brands of boots that come in wide widths.

https://www.zappos.com/marty/extra-wide-mens-boot

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Hitchcock has up to 6E width shoes of all kinds.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Lol

Buys a $300 pair of boots and they don't fit.

Try walmart, save $250 and a lot less crying

"Received" as in purchased online? If you have wide or odd shaped feet, you should probably go to the store or a store near you and try the fit in person.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Ha that last line literally made me laugh out loud.

For hikers I’ve had great luck w/ Keens but that won’t help here.

I also have a pair of American made Danners but they’re doing well. Have been told that Crispi is a great brand for people with wide feet like mine but haven’t tried any of them out yet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Doc_Paul
I just received a new pair of Schnee hiking boots. These boots have a wide rand on them. The problem is, the rand doesn't stretch and my 3E foot doesn't fit inside the boot! Is there anybody on the fire with wide feet that has good boot suggestions? I currently get along with an old pair of Danner's but they aren't as water proof as before and I need to update my foot gear before heading to ID this fall.

WARNING: THE FIRST D WIDTH WEARING PIN HEAD THAT SUGGESTS BUYING A PAIR OF BOOTS ONE SIZE BIGGER WILL GET A 3E UP THE ARSE!

Doc, The Danner's get a bad rap and being an Oregon company and me being an Oregon hunter...The poor reputation on so many of their line of hiking and hunting footwear is DESERVED. Especially, when they make claims their boots/hiking offerings are waterproof...Not so much! You're gonna get a wet foot.

Now, the only boot I own from Danner and have used for too many years to remember is their Danner Canadian. Still made in the USA. This leather boot has provided me waterproof protection (I don't use them as fishing waders) But, crossing streams, soggy wet, muddy ground, and traversing a steep mountainside of rock, foliage, dirt and shale rock in the eastern part of my state...The Canadian's are my perfect hunting boot.

They're expensive, as boots go today...But, a really good boot. My buddy hunts with Whites Smokejumpers. I would own a pair of Whites if it wasn't for the high heel. Looks weird to me...Good Luck, Doc. Go with a 3E if you have a wide, fat foot...Grin!

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
There's a pair of Pa Kettle's smokejumpers in the classifieds, look like theyve been dragged behind a beau james pickup truck for 10 miles. Think he only wants about $200 for em.

SMH

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Slum, I saw them...Made me google smokejumpers again just to see if gold was stitched into them...Fun fact about smokejumpers per my hunting pard who owns a pair. He said they are the most comfortable boot you could ever want to own because the boot "molds" to the owner's feet...Why would you want to buy a pair of broken-in boots that are already molded to someone else's foot?

“Molon Labe”
IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
I have 3 pair of Whites boots in F width. My problem is I have high arches and have trouble making the turn while putting boots on. Whites made the tongue extra wide for me because of that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Custom Whites or similar boots from a true custom maker. Danner had quit making custom rock climbers and gone to yuppie Gortex products. Expensive, but damned well worth it. Bought my first pair of custom Whites fall of 1982. Ordered a second pair 2 weeks later. Now I have four pair with the most elderly going back for a rebuild shortly. It's always paid to have spares on hand.

They are hand built with components held together with triple stitching, glue, and screws. None of the popular molded vinyl glued together faux crap that stinks to high heaven in a month or so and then falls apart. Being high grade leather, they breathe, and still smell like a new saddle 3 or 4 years down the road.

I've tried other goods in a cheap attempt to preserve or extend the life of the valuable stuff, but seriously painful fasciitis crops up after about a week of wear. Takes about another 2 weeks to go away when I revert to my boots. I work, play, and go to church in the same boots 365 days a year.

One pays custom fees for his first pair. With ones lasts filed away, all subsequent builds or rebuilds come at the normal rate. My issue has been narrowness, and Cookie has elephant like width. She has a custom pair of Danners from back in the day when they did such. Given she reserves them strictly for rock crawling and hunting, they'll never wear out.

Communicate solely with the factory. Don't make any off the shelf attempts.

Last edited by 1minute; 04/19/18.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Even with a rubber rand an old school shoe and boot repair shop may be able to help. I had a pair of Meindl boots that I thought would stretch out enough to not be tight after a while but no sir. I took them to a boot repair guy and he stretched them for width, said he couldn't guarantee he'd gain as much as needed but at that point I didn't have much choice as they had a lot of (painful) miles on them. It worked can wear the damn things all day now and all's good. The way he explained it he had to stretch them with his machine beyond what's needed then let them relax a day to find themselves which will be a little smaller as the rubber rand pulls them back a bit.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
1Minute....I know 100% WSmokejumbers are a high bar set in boots... I considered it, but for the high heel. And, I have high arches. The look of the narrow chimney on the WSJ gave me serious pause, that I would cause myself to have a stroke, fighting to get my foot into them...I went the path of least resistance and bought three pairs of Danner Canadians. Like you. I wanted extras on hand.

I am curious about how you go about having your first pair of WSJ made....Where would you go to be properly fitted? Whites aren't near Portland or my coastal home. How you do that? I do like custom schit...Grin!

“Molon Labe”
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If the Danners did well before, why not go back to Danners. If you don't want to spend the money on the hunting line boots, check out the military line. They're a bit cheaper and still USA made.

Just down the road from The City of Lost Souls in the Land of the Blind.
Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

I've worn White's (custom made) for many, many decades.

They wear like iron and when the soles wear out (currently, I'm using AirBobs) the refitting is always about one-third of the price I'd expect.

Goodness, I'm still using the original three pairs of White's I bought.

Fantastic folks and even better boots.

If you're ever driving through Spokane, stop in, enjoy a factory tour and a custom fitting of incredibly special hunting boots.

kd

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
If your leaning towards custom check out Nick's boots also. Quality is right up there and fit my father feet little better than whites.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Hoffman boots also a good.place.to check.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Well, I'm only a EE, so for what its worth I've had some success with Irish Setter in the past, using Danners now.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Don't ever think you can order them....If you are like me, you need to try on every piece of footwear before you buy. I have big ole wide flat feet and I never can trust the size on the box.

Last edited by reivertom; 04/19/18.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

646 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1234, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 68 invisible), 2,756 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,420
Posts18,528,297
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.