Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
I’m a rookie and have been looking at FoxPro calls as I plan on trying to shoot a coyote or two on a friends farm in upstate NY this summer. Remote control, additional speaker (big fields) and decoy compatability would be nice features. Any recommendations from the experts would be appreciated....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a Lucky Duck Revolt this fall and it has been a revelation for this old hand call user. LOUD, great sound library, good easy to use remote. In my opinion, you'd have to get into the highest end of the Foxpros to equal it.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
to add on to what Ole 270 said about the Revolt, it also has the ability to rotate which really helps in casting the sound in any chosen direction. I've been very pleased with my Revolt.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Pocono - the season in NY is Oct 1 to March 25.

And there isn't a field in NY you need an extra speaker for.

Good luck!

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bbassi

Good luck!

This!

Just not needed.

Lots of people make the mistake of calling too loudly. Coyotes can hear like you can't believe.

Calling a massive flat one morning, I watched a coyote come in to my caller from over a half a mile away. I had the caller playing so low in volume, I couldn't hear it playing 40 yards away.

Never chenged the volume as he was coming in just fine. Shot him at the caller.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think calling too loud will scare as many away as it will bring in. I have a FoxPro Scorpion, and it is one of the least loud of the FoxPro calls, yet I've called in a bunch of stuff with it, at some long ranges as well. I also have a FoxPro Fury, a loud call, and can tell you from personal experience that you don't need to use full volume on it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Weems...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I started with a Burnam call years ago. Went to a reel to reel , then a record player, then a casitite. Back to a mouth call.
I’ve found you need to call continuity at night. During the day about 5 seconds every 5 minutes. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
I started with a Burnam call years ago. Went to a reel to reel , then a record player, then a casitite. Back to a mouth call.
I’ve found you need to call continuity at night. During the day about 5 seconds every 5 minutes. Hasbeen

Wow... 5 seconds every 5 minutes?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They zero in on you real quick. The more you call for me that is seems more of a chance to spook em. Hasbeen

hasbeen

NRA Patron member
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
imo, starting to loud can bring bad results, start low ( it will not deter anything) that you can barely hear, volume up slowly...personally I like to use mouth calls with my e callers, probably had more come to mouth calls than the e-callers

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Coyote learn fast. Caller is a joke to them now. Find a better way to hunt them. If still get it on a caller it must be stupid one or sick..

Last edited by myYukon; 04/21/18.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by bbassi

Good luck!

You have a SEASON in NY for Coyotes?

Did no one notice you can do everything you can think of and not eradicate them....

BTW: That scope I just got from you will see some night calling experience...maybe even a coyote or two! grin

Last edited by ingwe; 04/22/18.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Poconojack
I’m a rookie and have been looking at FoxPro calls as I plan on trying to shoot a coyote or two on a friends farm in upstate NY this summer. Remote control, additional speaker (big fields) and decoy compatability would be nice features. Any recommendations from the experts would be appreciated....

Foxpro makes a bunch of good ones. For call shy coyotes you might steer away from too much rabbit calling, but program it for other prey sounds..birds etc. Likewise coyote sounds of all kinds. As someone mentioned keep the volume down, lower than you think it should be...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

FoxPro HELLFIRE. You can download additional calls free online.

Watch your back. Frequently, dogs will circle around from behind you to investigate. In some terrain and regions, calls can attract larger predators...

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by myYukon
Coyote learn fast. Caller is a joke to them now. Find a better way to hunt them. If still get it on a caller it must be stupid one or sick..

Yeah, I set up my FoxPro and called in a coyote that was carrying the instructions book to my FoxPro. He pointed out I didn’t need to use both speakers at the same time...Wasting battery life, I think he said...Who knew they could read. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Thanks all, really appreciate the advice....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was surprised how well a recording of a injured sea gull worked. After you burn out an area with the different rabbit tapes try something a little different. Wood pecker also works great. Hasbeen

hasbeen

NRA Patron member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Sift through the advice carefully...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MOGC

Sift through the advice carefully...

^^ This.^^ laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (160user, 1234, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 57 invisible), 2,560 guests, and 1,422 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,175
Posts18,484,652
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.