Print Thread
Hop To
#12813950 04/22/18
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
looking for info on Detachable scope rings lever type with horizontal split, kinda like the leupold qdr but want to hear the
good bad n ugly on what works for repeatability also on a Weaver rail thanks all
Weaver Grand Slam Lever-Lok Top Mount 1" Medium Riflescope Rings

Last edited by rwire125; 04/22/18.
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have several rifles set up with Burris QD Zee rings. All of my scopes, except for a couple of red dot sights are 1" tube. They weigh about 3.71 ounces and are very solid. I've never seen more than about a half of a minute difference in POI when changing scopes or sights. On my drive hunting rifles (4) I frequently change from irons to red dot or scope or vice/versa depending on conditions of the hunt. On a couple of rifles, with scopes that weigh more than 12 ounces, I use Leupold QRW detachables. They are a bit heavier, a little over 4 ounces for the 1" rings, but the ring is wider and gives a bit more grip on the scope. The QRW's have also performed flawlessly for me. I always jig align and epoxy my 2 piece bases to the receiver and then epoxy bed the scope to the mounted rings for stress free scope mounting. RJ

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I like Warne Maxima QD, but the recoil lugs aren't attached so you've got to watch them closely when you install or detach them.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I like Warne Maxima QD, but the recoil lugs aren't attached so you've got to watch them closely when you install or detach them.

+1

The Weaver type base makes it easier to re-place the scope than with the Talley base, IMO.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have used Weaver, Warne and Talley QD rings for at least 30 or more years, heck I can't even remember how long for sure. I have Talley and Warne QD rings on four rifles and they have all worked as advertised. I like the contour of the top of the Warne QD rings better then the Talley and the Warne fits on picatinny rails, Talley probably makes some that do also.

I used a one screw version on the top ring of and old Warne QD set with a 11 oz. 2.5-8 Leupold for 20 years on my 7.5 lb. custom .338 Winny with no problems. When I went to a bigger 19 oz. scope I swapped it for some 30mm stainless QD Talley rings thinking the bigger scope may absorb more recoil.

I have some two screw QD Warne rings on the little 6.5 Husqvarna 30-06 with a VX3i Leupold 2.5-8x36 and run 168 grain bullets out of it.

Both Warne and Talley make good stuff that I count on as three of my big game "gitterdone" rifles have back up peep sights, just in case. Just decide which one you like the looks of and follow their install instructions,

The Warne bases sit a bit lower then Talley bases, if that matters and they do have a spring and cross bolt/stud to look out for and I keep a spare in a baggie on trips, but have never lost one, other then in the garage!

Talley voids the Warranty if you lap their rings, I don't lap rings so don't care, neither do the moose I shoot. Any way, I like and use them both.

Last edited by 1Akshooter; 04/22/18.
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I have and use both. To me the Talley is nicer made, smoother. I find the Weaver/Picatinny type base easier to reconnect the scope. The Talley bases require more precise alignment.. Not a big deal, just an observation. The Talley's are better looking and IIRC a bit lighter.

Low did matter with my Classic M-70.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 04/23/18.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I use Talleys, Warnes and Weavers. The Weavers are all in use on lever guns. The Talleys and Warnes on bolt guns. The Talleys are lighter than the Warnes but they both work as advertised. I wish the Talley levers could be indexed like the Warnes. I only use the QD's on rifles that have iron sites. Like having the option in case the scope goes bad or conditions make iron sights a better option.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by magshooter1
I use Talleys, Warnes and Weavers. The Weavers are all in use on lever guns. The Talleys and Warnes on bolt guns. The Talleys are lighter than the Warnes but they both work as advertised. I wish the Talley levers could be indexed like the Warnes. I only use the QD's on rifles that have iron sites. Like having the option in case the scope goes bad or conditions make iron sights a better option.

Another good use is two scope for one rifle, even without irons.

Both sighted in and available to swap out quickly.

Some years ago, I had a 270 Brown Precision set up like that, a 2-7 Leupold and an 8x56 Kahles, both in QD's.. One for general use, one for low light deer hunting from a box stand. Worked well.

I know, I know, but I was young back then...

DF

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (257 roberts, 257Bob, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 160user, 21, 44 invisible), 2,663 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,370
Posts18,527,370
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.