Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Nobel yes, but beating a bear to death with your bare hands would be badass

It’ll also get you banned from the circus.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There isn’t anymore circus to be banned from....The Snowflakes killed that dream, too. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
My Coulrophobia precludes me from any circus related activities anyway so bring on the bears!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by wyoming260
I think being mauled to death and consumed after a gallant effort is a Nobel way for a Sportsman to go.

Nobel yes, but beating a bear to death with your bare hands would be badass

Yes it would...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Well, one time when there was a black bear maybe 12 inches off the .375 muzzle, I just jabbed it at him. He left.

For the "charging" Griz at 10 feet last fall, I threw the binoculars. She left.

The blackie was more exciting, but I was young then and still had adrenaline.... and a gun.

Last edited by las; 04/23/18.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by wyoming260
I think being mauled to death and consumed after a gallant effort is a Nobel way for a Sportsman to go.

That’s my thinking too. Though I must say, since my encounter with a mama and cubs at 35 yards or so last summer, I don’t go back without a 30-30 or 12ga w/ buckshot. At the very least I take my revolver or machete.

Might give the bear a head start though, claw marks across my chest would look pretty cool I think.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by las
Well, one time when there was a black bear maybe 12 inches off the .375 muzzle, I just jabbed it at him. He left.

Had a Black Bear at 3 feet once while holding nothing but a .38 filled with snake shot. The good news was that I woke him from a nap and as soon as he saw what it was that woks he he took off like a shot!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I ambushed a bear once while turkey hunting.

My set up was in a CRP field and I saw this critter moving towards me to my left, did not think it was a bear, rather maybe a hog. When it got within a few feet from me I stood up with cell phone in my left hand and 12 gauge in my right. The bear did a loud "huff" sound and crow hopped away from me and I snapped a photo just as he turned his head to get a look at me. Then he skedaddled.

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I live in black bear country so if in the woods I have a weapon with me . and if a bear is a problem ever its called SSS that's how its handled. best gun is still just a old 12 gauge with slugs knocks a bear down and dead quickly

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I'd been out all day once, took a break and sat down with my back to a tree. Heard some rustling above, looked up, and there's a black bear looking right down at me. That's a surprise!

As I quickly assessed my situation and options, I realized that I had just one shot left - so I drank it, threw the empty bottle at the bear, and ran like hell!

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by MikeL2
I'd been out all day once, took a break and sat down with my back to a tree. Heard some rustling above, looked up, and there's a black bear looking right down at me. That's a surprise!

As I quickly assessed my situation and options, I realized that I had just one shot left - so I drank it, threw the empty bottle at the bear, and ran like hell!

Then as I think about it a little, maybe that was the time I fell asleep next to the wood stove in camp after happy hour and woke up startled.

Either way, I'm pretty sure whisky was involved and the bear was damn close!

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Use long range wasp and hornet spray!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My Coulrophobia...

Internet forums are hardly the place for the coulrophobic.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by kingston
My Coulrophobia...

Internet forums are hardly the place for the coulrophobic.

Well I don't know why I came here tonight,
I got the feeling that something ain't right,
I'm so scared in case I fall off my chair,
And I'm wondering how I'll get down the stairs,
Clowns to the left of me,
Jokers to the right, here I am,
Stuck in the middle with you

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Then as I think about it a little, maybe that was the time I fell asleep next to the wood stove in camp after happy hour and woke up startled.

Either way, I'm pretty sure whisky was involved and the bear was damn close!

Sometimes you eat the wood stove, sometimes the wood stove eats you.......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Awesome thread ...

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
All the years that I have been hunting and camping I have never had what I consider a problem. Seen plenty of them, even sows with cubs. No charges. On 2 occasions had a brown bear walk right through camp. .Tense situation but no problem.

2 years ago though I was camped and scouting for high country Mule deer in N Colorado. Had my beagle with me and in the evening when I was about 1/4 mile from my camp ate a mountain house and fed the Dog.

I have a Hilleberge one man tent and since it was a warm night I left the front open about 1/4. Beagle was sleeping at my feet. My handgun was next to my head. About 12:00 I woke up and a black bear was snuffing my face. His nose actually touched my face. I made some kind of sound, dog woke up and ran over me and the bear took off with the beagle chasing him. fortunately the beagle came back shortly.

It was a long night after that. I thought I heard him a couple of times, and the beagle barked but never saw him again. I thought about bringing my handgun in my bag as its almost impossible to get to once your in the bag, but I didn't want to risk having a dream and blowing my nuts off.

Pretty much a bear taco inside a bag.

lefty C

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
All the years that I have been hunting and camping I have never had what I consider a problem. Seen plenty of them, even sows with cubs. No charges. On 2 occasions had a brown bear walk right through camp. .Tense situation but no problem.

2 years ago though I was camped and scouting for high country Mule deer in N Colorado. Had my beagle with me and in the evening when I was about 1/4 mile from my camp ate a mountain house and fed the Dog.

I have a Hilleberge one man tent and since it was a warm night I left the front open about 1/4. Beagle was sleeping at my feet. My handgun was next to my head. About 12:00 I woke up and a black bear was snuffing my face. His nose actually touched my face. I made some kind of sound, dog woke up and ran over me and the bear took off with the beagle chasing him. fortunately the beagle came back shortly.

It was a long night after that. I thought I heard him a couple of times, and the beagle barked but never saw him again. I thought about bringing my handgun in my bag as its almost impossible to get to once your in the bag, but I didn't want to risk having a dream and blowing my nuts off.

Pretty much a bear taco inside a bag.

lefty C

Wrapped for individual consumption! Glad it worked out ok, some folks are not so lucky.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

489 members (204guy, 1moredeer, 160user, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 1936M71, 57 invisible), 2,685 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,798
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.